Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DeBoner > Campbell

Comments

• Options
    coach_pete_JPGcoach_pete_JPG Member Posts: 1,203
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

There's supposedly some Twitter chat involving Taki, Bruener, and a few others that suggests Derham Cato told them Campbell was the hire. I haven't found it but it's being vaguely discussed on doogman

From what I heard is we upped the offer last night and haven't gotten a response back. We told him we would move with Kalen if it's not agreed to by tomorrow morning, hence Brock's tweet. But nothing from the talks has indicated he is serious about coming here this whole time. He's dead to me.
    Still very interesting. @sonics1993 im on the fence with both DeBoer and Campbell. Which of those two would be better for this program. More importantly which would hire the better staff and be more of a relentless recruiter we are looking for?
    I prefer Campbell, but I can see Deboer having success as well. I think Deboer is the bigger risk and will have a more significant learning curve. Like the board has said, whoever gets hired will probably suck anyway, so why worry. I don't give a fuck anymore.
    If there’s anything I’m disappointed at in this process it’s that we went limp with our hiring process while SC just went from six to midnight. Folks were joking about how they were going to fuck up again, meanwhile we were afraid to talk to the 10’s in the room after the first one turned us away, aimed for a 7, and settled for a 6. Where the fuck are the rumors that we forced Fickell to say no because Jen wouldn’t stop waving checks in his face, or the private jet full of strippers sent to Kiffin to see if he wants to leave the SEC? I mean for fucks sake, even if we didn’t end up wanting to hire Kiffin it’s at least worth bumming a trip on a private jet to find that out.
    Wait… Jen was only waving checks at Fickell? No wonder he said no…
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,921
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

There's supposedly some Twitter chat involving Taki, Bruener, and a few others that suggests Derham Cato told them Campbell was the hire. I haven't found it but it's being vaguely discussed on doogman

From what I heard is we upped the offer last night and haven't gotten a response back. We told him we would move with Kalen if it's not agreed to by tomorrow morning, hence Brock's tweet. But nothing from the talks has indicated he is serious about coming here this whole time. He's dead to me.
    Still very interesting. @sonics1993 im on the fence with both DeBoer and Campbell. Which of those two would be better for this program. More importantly which would hire the better staff and be more of a relentless recruiter we are looking for?
    I prefer Campbell, but I can see Deboer having success as well. I think Deboer is the bigger risk and will have a more significant learning curve. Like the board has said, whoever gets hired will probably suck anyway, so why worry. I don't give a fuck anymore.
    If there’s anything I’m disappointed at in this process it’s that we went limp with our hiring process while SC just went from six to midnight. Folks were joking about how they were going to fuck up again, meanwhile we were afraid to talk to the 10’s in the room after the first one turned us away, aimed for a 7, and settled for a 6. Where the fuck are the rumors that we forced Fickell to say no because Jen wouldn’t stop waving checks in his face, or the private jet full of strippers sent to Kiffin to see if he wants to leave the SEC? I mean for fucks sake, even if we didn’t end up wanting to hire Kiffin it’s at least worth bumming a trip on a private jet to find that out.
    I'm very impressed with how USC AD got the job done. He not only raised the money from boosters but kept them out of the loop, which is tough to do at USC, threw a smokescreen with Matt, Franklin, and Fickell while attempting to get Lincoln this whole time, and kept it a secret the entire time. Then closed the deal last night. Impressive.
    Are you sure Jen's not throwing a smokescreen at you?
  • Options
    coach_pete_JPGcoach_pete_JPG Member Posts: 1,203
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I'm very impressed with how USC AD got the job done. He not only raised the money from boosters but kept them out of the loop, which is tough to do at USC, threw a smokescreen with Matt, Franklin, and Fickell while attempting to get Lincoln this whole time, and kept it a secret the entire time. Then closed the deal last night. Impressive.
    Are you sure Jen's not throwing a smokescreen at you?

So you’re saying we can still poop for Stoops?
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

So were they ever seriously considering Campbell?
  • Options
    sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Nope. Smokescreen for Riley who was their main target.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,323
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

FireCohen said:

Curious if Malloe is given the opportunity to stay

They way the defense played this year. He needs to be deported back to the island
    Clean house. They all suck. Did he not watch that abomination of a season? Malloe's unit was pathetic and arguably the weakest and most disappointing unit on the defense.

Another thing I don't understand is the way people cling to assistants, especially assistants who were part of the epic collapse we just saw.
    Don't really care either way, but Malloe's unit was OLB. He left the interior, and the interior immediately got worse. He moved from IDL to OLB with the Pete to Lake transition. Went from having excellent interior line play and what I'll charitably call inconsistent OLB play to ZTF exploding on the scene, Trice seemingly being developed. This season, he's been down sometimes up to three of his top four guys in any given game. Hell, even McDonald was moved inside one game due to injuries there. I don't think he can be blamed for the scheme the last two seasons, and there are at least reasons his unit has sucked.

Again, though, who caress. I want the new coach bringing in whoever he wants.
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,418
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

If he also leaked the bad intel. that Riley was heading to LSU, the guy is a fucking genius.
  • Options
    TheDawgFan1227TheDawgFan1227 Member Posts: 335
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Fuck all of this. Give me a fucking reason to go to the recruiting board again. It's been months since i've visited. I do not give one shit about "on field performance". I'm here for off season natties baby they are way fucking easier to come by. Fuck Matt Campbell and "iowa state" are you fucking kidding me. De boner? California? Get the fuck out of here. Why didn't we hire the entire fucking coaching staff that handed us our asses in the apple cup?
  • Options
    RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 787
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    It’s a great feeling when the competition does exactly what you wish your team was capable of.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Nope. Smokescreen for Riley who was their main target.
    And indirectly created some turbulence going after our top target
  • Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,007
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I find the hate from some at Deboner interesting.

Since DJ was hired, we’ve hired 2, what could be considered home run big dick hires.

The two of them lasted a total of 10 seasons, were what we could consider great or close to it for about 30% of that time, and left the program in a disastrous way that each required their coordinator to be elevated past their ceiling to become head coach.

The last time this happened, UW hired a big name who “won” a Rose Bowl, and had middling success at a school that was “tough to win at”.

Who’s to say Campbell is any more of a home run than ty was? What’s he really done.

Let’s think maybe at the time we should have hired a young up and comer from a nearby smaller college and given him a chance then, like Petersen.

I’m gonna boner for Deboner and, even though he sucks of course, maybe going a different route this time is a better plan than rehashing the old one that led to a decade of shit.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

RTD said:

It’s a great feeling when the competition does exactly what you wish your team was capable of.

We aren’t USC and never will be to historians of college football. A coach isn’t going to jump from Oklahoma to UW. The bright lights of LA and the tradition and challenge of bringing USC back are a different story.

RTD said:

We aren’t USC and never will be to historians of college football. A coach isn’t going to jump from Oklahoma to UW. The bright lights of LA and the tradition and challenge of bringing USC back are a different story.
    It's almost like some highly sought after coaches prefer a situation like UW (Petersen), and others prefer USC.

It can't be nuances like that, right Mike?
    You said “Who wants to go to that shit hole, Los Angeles?”

I said you’re underestimating the draw of LA and the answer is “Everyone.”

Then Lincoln Riley goes from Norman to LA “for the bright lights” which is literally why I said people want to go there, you hire a guy from Fresno because nobody else will call you back… And you think you’ve won the argument?

Maybe give this thing another go tomorrow.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,415
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    DeBoer? I hardly know her.