Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DeBoner > Campbell

Comments

• Options
    DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 705
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I”m ok with KD. He’s either going to eliminate all doubts in two seasons or fail quickly.

Don’t lose sleep on the recruiting either as we’re entering just the 2nd offseason with Insta-eligibility Transfer Portal. Whatever you miss as a coach on the front end there’s opportunity to make some up on the backend.

College game is heavily tilted towards offense. Even Bama doesn’t go as cockhard for inhuman players anymore when they know they can drop points on you at will. I’m not saying their Defense is not really good it’s just not Peach Bowl levels today.

If KD can get Tedford on board with him for at least a couple of seasons and find the right DC the offense will sell the program. I don’t think Husky fans want to see another season where the offense is topping out at 20 points. That’s not worth the price of admission.

Fresno was probably the best team in the MWC this season. What submerged them was a propensity to get into turnover fest. They had 6 turnovers in the Hawaii game and 3 each in the Boise and Oregon losses. Eliminate the TO and they likely flip two of those “L” to “W”.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,185
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

People said Petersen would struggle to recruit.

Coach Pete was 57-6 at Boise State, won a Fiesta Bowl, won coach of the year, and was known nationally. Kalen went 9-3 one year at Fresno State and hasn't been mentioned in any other coaching positions. Please don't compare the two.
    I'm not comparing. I'm saying people said the same thing about Petersen. After watching the "level up" bs of the last few years go down in flames I'm not going to put sizzle before steak.

And, no, outside the diehards that breathe football, nobody out here knows who Matt Campbell is. And the Lions did not offer him a job.
    You're not comparing, you're cherry picking.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

There's supposedly some Twitter chat involving Taki, Bruener, and a few others that suggests Derham Cato told them Campbell was the hire. I haven't found it but it's being vaguely discussed on doogman

From what I heard is we upped the offer last night and haven't gotten a response back. We told him we would move with Kalen if it's not agreed to by tomorrow morning, hence Brock's tweet. But nothing from the talks has indicated he is serious about coming here this whole time. He's dead to me.
    This has been regurgitated by Kim and also Chest on his Twitter space. Doogs are clinging onto hope that there's good news tomorrow but I've already accepted that KD is our next coach.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,806
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

There's supposedly some Twitter chat involving Taki, Bruener, and a few others that suggests Derham Cato told them Campbell was the hire. I haven't found it but it's being vaguely discussed on doogman

From what I heard is we upped the offer last night and haven't gotten a response back. We told him we would move with Kalen if it's not agreed to by tomorrow morning, hence Brock's tweet. But nothing from the talks has indicated he is serious about coming here this whole time. He's dead to me.
    This has been regurgitated by Kim and also Chest on his Twitter space. Doogs are clinging onto hope that there's good news tomorrow but I've already accepted that KD is our next coach.
    You should. Matt is just leveraging the Washington offer to Iowa State, always has been.
    What a loser
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,818
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

You should. Matt is just leveraging the Washington offer to Iowa State, always has been.
    It’s always best to assume we aren’t allowed nice things

The good news is that there is a finality coming one way or the other

Campbell’s going to run out of opportunities to cry wolf at Iowa St at some point … there’s an upper bound on their revenue streams
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,513
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

It’s always best to assume we aren’t allowed nice things

The good news is that there is a finality coming one way or the other

Campbell’s going to run out of opportunities to cry wolf at Iowa St at some point … there’s an upper bound on their revenue streams
    Iowa State's ceiling is below Oklahoma's floor
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,957
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

Or now OU…
  • Options
    MobeyB4AssholesMobeyB4Assholes Member Posts: 878
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I”m ok with KD. He’s either going to eliminate all doubts in two seasons or fail quickly.

Don’t lose sleep on the recruiting either as we’re entering just the 2nd offseason with Insta-eligibility Transfer Portal. Whatever you miss as a coach on the front end there’s opportunity to make some up on the backend.

College game is heavily tilted towards offense. Even Bama doesn’t go as cockhard for inhuman players anymore when they know they can drop points on you at will. I’m not saying their Defense is not really good it’s just not Peach Bowl levels today.

If KD can get Tedford on board with him for at least a couple of seasons and find the right DC the offense will sell the program. I don’t think Husky fans want to see another season where the offense is topping out at 20 points. That’s not worth the price of admission.

Fresno was probably the best team in the MWC this season. What submerged them was a propensity to get into turnover fest. They had 6 turnovers in the Hawaii game and 3 each in the Boise and Oregon losses. Eliminate the TO and they likely flip two of those “L” to “W”.

The game is tilted towards the offense until you have a team like Georgia that shuts down everyone. Joe Burrow and the 2019 LSU Tigers aren’t playing this season. There isn’t an offense that can score 28 on Georgia. There might not be one that can score 20.

It goes in waves. Whenever you focus too much on one aspect or get caught up in the current trends is when you start struggling and get left behind. Being adaptable is good. Having great lines and a really good QB is still an almost certain formula for success.
    When Georgia joins the P12 North, I'll be concerned.
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,298

I'm not talking myself into this. So he'll probably be incredible

Less than 24 hours, hell yeah
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,000
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    digits said:

Whoa, I had not seen this. Campbell talking about himself in the third person?

He started referring to himself in the third person in an interview with the Des Moines Register over the weekend. "So far, Matt Campbell hasn't talked to anybody."

I don't trust anyone that refers to their self in the third person (Hi Ty!).

FTG.

I would too if I was my own agent. Shit gets confusing.
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,420
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

digits said:

Whoa, I had not seen this. Campbell talking about himself in the third person?

He started referring to himself in the third person in an interview with the Des Moines Register over the weekend. "So far, Matt Campbell hasn't talked to anybody."

I don't trust anyone that refers to their self in the third person (Hi Ty!).

FTG.

I would too if I was my own agent. Shit gets confusing.
    I?
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

The game is tilted towards the offense until you have a team like Georgia that shuts down everyone. Joe Burrow and the 2019 LSU Tigers aren’t playing this season. There isn’t an offense that can score 28 on Georgia. There might not be one that can score 20.

It goes in waves. Whenever you focus too much on one aspect or get caught up in the current trends is when you start struggling and get left behind. Being adaptable is good. Having great lines and a really good QB is still an almost certain formula for success.
    Bump
    He never said an offense couldn’t score 41.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,236
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Bump
    True and while I bumped that poast, I thought the same thing about Georgia.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,179
    edited December 2021

Bump
    True and while I bumped that poast, I thought the same thing about Georgia.
    Yesterday’s game very much reminded me of Deshaun’s Clemson against the juggernaut Alabama D of ‘16-17.

Having a dynamic QB is pretty fucking important.
  • Options
    longduckdonglongduckdong Member Posts: 1,010
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Still very interesting. @sonics1993 im on the fence with both DeBoer and Campbell. Which of those two would be better for this program. More importantly which would hire the better staff and be more of a relentless recruiter we are looking for?
    I prefer Campbell, but I can see Deboer having success as well. I think Deboer is the bigger risk and will have a more significant learning curve. Like the board has said, whoever gets hired will probably suck anyway, so why worry. I don't give a fuck anymore.
    Good call