Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Helfrich says this is the most talented/fast team he's seen

Comments

• Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,517
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    It sucks losing Addison...but silver lining, maybe it will force the Ducks to pound Tyner up the middle 30x/game and get back to the power running team we were under Kelly...no more of this pussy ass throw the ball on 1st and goal from the 4 bullshit we saw last year
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    ntxduck said:

It sucks losing Addison...but silver lining, maybe it will force the Ducks to pound Tyner up the middle 30x/game and get back to the power running team we were under Kelly...no more of this pussy ass throw the ball on 1st and goal from the 4 bullshit we saw last year

I don't think you know what a power running team is.

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,582
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

ntxduck said:

I don't think you know what a power running team is.

He meant 'get back to a flying V' running team.
  • Options
    Watch tape of Oregon 2009-2011. Ran almost exclusively between the tackles. Masoli was a RB playing QB and he took us to a Rose Bowl without being able to pass for dick. Because Oregon pounded the rock.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Stanford is a power running team. Oregon is a good running team but were never considered a power run team.

To be a power run team you need a fullback which Oregon doesn't use. You basically run I-Formation which is what the Seahawks or Stanford does well.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Stanford is a power running team. Oregon is a good running team but were never considered a power run team.

To be a power run team you need a fullback which Oregon doesn't use. You basically run I-Formation which is what the Seahawks or Stanford does well.

Well what if you wanted to run another tight end instead of a fullback? A true Ace form is a power running formation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Mosster47 said:

Well what if you wanted to run another tight end instead of a fullback? A true Ace form is a power running formation.
    Point is Oregon was never a power running team.
  • Options
    FenwickFenwick Member Posts: 1,174
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited April 2014
    Ducks be a powerful running team. We have not used a fullback for years. Lyerla was a cool experiment.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,582
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    For me to be a power running team you need a fullback. Period. If you don't need a battering ram then you're not committed to it.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2014
    ntxduck said:

Watch tape of Oregon 2009-2011. Ran almost exclusively between the tackles. Masoli was a RB playing QB and he took us to a Rose Bowl without being able to pass for dick. Because Oregon pounded the rock.

You guys ran exceptionally well.

It was the exact opposite of a power running game though.

Misdirection = / = power.

hth
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited April 2014
    The Helfrich 'power' running game was running DAT up the middle 100 million times. It was worth it for the 6 or 7 times it actually worked. Now I'm going to go hang a MH effigy and light it on fire.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

I doubt it happens. If I were you, I would be worried Helfrich turns next season into a showcase for Mariota and throws the ball more than ever. I think you guys will be fine though. I'm not at all sold on Helfrich, but it should be pretty difficult to fuck up more than a game, two at most with the talent you have returning. I think Oregon is slipping, but it's not happening as soon as some on here think.
  • Options

ntxduck said:

I doubt it happens. If I were you, I would be worried Helfrich turns next season into a showcase for Mariota and throws the ball more than ever. I think you guys will be fine though. I'm not at all sold on Helfrich, but it should be pretty difficult to fuck up more than a game, two at most with the talent you have returning. I think Oregon is slipping, but it's not happening as soon as some on here think.
    I don't want to see more passing. It equals more dreck. Oregon used to be a run the ball first team and it veered away from what was working and tried to fix what wasn't broken. Give me a choice between Mariota and Darron Thomas and I'd choose DT. He may have been somewhat off the mark at times but he was tuff. Mariota is skilled but too finesse. Once he gets a little ruffed up he starts sucking really bad.
  • Options
    I don't want to see more passing. It equals more dreck. Oregon used to be a run the ball first team and it veered away from what was working and tried to fix what wasn't broken. Give me a choice between Mariota and Darron Thomas and I'd choose DT. He may have been somewhat off the mark at times but he was tuff. Mariota is skilled but too finesse. Once he gets a little ruffed up he starts sucking really bad.

LOL....Agreed on less passing...but the rest of this, no. Fuck no. DT was a shit qb compared to MM and a horrible teammate.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    ntxduck said:

LOL....Agreed on less passing...but the rest of this, no. Fuck no. DT was a shit qb compared to MM and a horrible teammate.

A horrible teammate? Were you his teammate? DT was the QB that got us to the championship. Enough said.
  • Options
    I know a ton of his teammates...and he was an awful teammate. Not going to get into it on here about that.
  • Options
    ntxduck said:

I know a ton of his teammates...and he was an awful teammate. Not going to get into it on here about that.

Cliff Harris thinks otherwise. Enough to know that DT had his back even when driving > 95 mph down 1-5 after having smoked it all. What better teammate could you ask for than that?
  • Options
    edited April 2014

ntxduck said:

Get into it. This isn't EDuck. Tell some stories as to why he was a bad teammate. Don't pull the, "I know things, but I'm not saying." That's what Kim Grinolds does. If you are going to be like Kim, I got one word for you. LEAVE!

As an outsider, it's hard to believe Darron Thomas was that bad of a teammate considering his record as a starting QB there.

Exactly. Like I said, I'll take the guy that played a huge role in getting us to the championship, not the guy who chokes when it matters most. This is unpopular to say, but I think Mariota is overrated. He's a good QB and has laser accuracy when he's on, but once he starts feeling the pressure he seems to clam up and let the game slip. There is already a leadership void and the void seems to become a chasm whenever Mariota has a bad game. DT didn't do that. Last years Oregon team would have shit the bed against 2010 Auburn. 2010 Oregon didn't. And to preempt the 'he was injured' bullshit. Yes he was injured during the Stanford game. But he was not injured during the Stanford game the previous year. He was simply non-existent. Nor was he anywhere to be seen against AZ. We barely beat a shitty OSU team at home, and there were shades of the choking at times during the Texas game. There were times I wondered if the name on the back of the jersey was Maldonado, not Mariota.

The fucks at eStalin would give me a time out or ban me if I dared to say half of what I've said here, but not before a bunch of ignorant quooks would herd themselves into a tightly crammed pack of rabid lemmings and attack.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    If I had a ready made team like a 2001 Miami squad that just needed a QB I'd take Thomas over Mariota every time. Having a QB that gets better as the situation gets tougher is fucking rare it's ridiculous.

If I had an average team then I'd take Mariota. His running around like a horny gorilla is after him at least moves the chains when nothing else is working.

I don't think the system that Oregon runs is sustainable at the current level without an outstanding coach. It has only been done by three people; Rich Rod as WVU, Meyer at Utah, Florida, tOSU, and Kelly at Oregon. You are asking inferior physical talent on either the size, strength, or speed department to beat better athletes by preparation, execution, and pace. It takes one hell of a leader to do that consistently. I don't think Oregon has that. That isn't an insult to Slingblade. Like listed before there have been three out of the now hundreds that have usedthe same or similar system to become elite.