Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Helfrich says this is the most talented/fast team he's seen

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

In all seriousness I like UCLA to win the Pac-12 this year.

I think it will be UCLA-Oregon in the title game.

I think so too. I don't see how Mora doesn't win the South. ASU and AZ lost a lot last year and USC has Sark so they are already mathematically eliminated.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    haie said:

I don't know if it's the fact that you guys have dominated just about everybody for awhile now or what, but I would be pretty shocked at a 7-9 win season out of Oregon. If that's the case I would think that the players had lost respect for Helfrich (or Pellum or insert-toolbag-assistant) at some point in the season.

Helfrich needs to drag his nuts through shards of glass in the offseason and get tougher on the players or hit the road.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    Mike Bellotti was good when he had talent. 1996, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008 were all good years. If you took a young Mike Bellotti and placed him at the helm this same time Slingblade took over I think you would see parallel results.

All I have to go from is last year. The wheels fell off late and the offense still sucked balls in the bowl game with a month to prepare. With Addison down it seems like the running backs will have to carry the team and none of them have showed so far that they could be the core of an elite offense.

We'll know after Sparty if the defense is capable of anything.
  • Options
    Mike Bellotti was good when he had a good OC like Tedford or Kelly. When he had neither from 2002-2006 he drowned.

Showing he was a bad coach.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    You can bet on Sparty not respecting Oregon's WRs and doing everything possible to dominate the LOS and take away the Oregon running game. We'll learn very early on whether or not Oregon's got the playmakers to surround Mariota to be a conference contender. If not, Sparty will put the clamps on them, then UCLA will, and a good chance that Petersen will as well.
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

Mike Bellotti was good when he had a good OC like Tedford or Kelly. When he had neither from 2002-2006 he drowned.

Everybody likes to bash Bellotti, a lot of it because of the bonehead things that often came out of his mouth ("the best team didn't win", following a loss - shit like that). However, looking at the guy objectively he finished with a winning record against every other conference opponent, even USC. The last opponent has an asterisk because as I recall Oregon lucked out there by not playing the Trojans two years in a row when USC was really, really good. Be that as it may Bellotti was FAR from a "bad coach". He sure wasn't Chip Kelly but he won a lot of games when Oregon was still Oregon, in other words before the big Phil Knight money kicked in.
  • Options

Everybody likes to bash Bellotti, a lot of it because of the bonehead things that often came out of his mouth ("the best team didn't win", following a loss - shit like that). However, looking at the guy objectively he finished with a winning record against every other conference opponent, even USC. The last opponent has an asterisk because as I recall Oregon lucked out there by not playing the Trojans two years in a row when USC was really, really good. Be that as it may Bellotti was FAR from a "bad coach". He sure wasn't Chip Kelly but he won a lot of games when Oregon was still Oregon, in other words before the big Phil Knight money kicked in.
    Mike Bellotti at Chico State went 21-25-2 in five seasons and unlike James was getting worse at his small school. He went 4-5-1, 4-4-1, 7-3, 3-6, and 3-7.

At Oregon here are his W-L I'll bold those where Tedford or Kelly wasn't his OC.

1995: 9-3, 6-2, 3rd place. Ranked 18th
    1996: 6-5, 3-5, T-5th
    1997: 7-5, 3-5, T-7th

Totals: 22-13, 12-12

Now Tedford comes in the program

1998: 8-4, 5-3, T-3rd
    1999: 9-3, 6-2, T-2nd, ranked 18th
    2000: 10-2, 7-1, T-1st, ranked 7th
    2001: 11-1, 7-1, 1st, ranked 2nd

Totals: 38-10, 25-7

Now Tedford takes off to Cal.

2002: 7-6, 3-5, 8th place
    2003: 8-5, 5-3, T-3rd
    2004: 5-6, 4-4, T-5th
    2005: 10-2, 7-1, 2nd. Ranked 12th
    2006: 7-6, 4-5, T-5th

Totals: 37-25, 23-18

Chip Kelly now enters the program.

2007: 9-4, 5-4, T-4th. Ranked 23rd(Were ranked top 5 all year until Dixon got hurt)
    2008: 10-3, 7-2, T-2nd. Ranked 10th

Totals: 19-7, 12-6

If these numbers don't spell out the picture that Bellotti is actually a bad coach who happened to benefit from two great OC's then I can't help you. The stats don't lie at all.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

You can bet on Sparty not respecting Oregon's WRs and doing everything possible to dominate the LOS and take away the Oregon running game. We'll learn very early on whether or not Oregon's got the playmakers to surround Mariota to be a conference contender. If not, Sparty will put the clamps on them, then UCLA will, and a good chance that Petersen will as well.

Disagree. Oregon's offense isn't very dependent on WR's. Someone will step up. Cool it with the Petersen is going to put the clamps on until it happens.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Mike's a good guy.

(who happens to make $500k annually from the Oregon PERS)

Mike Bellotti at Chico State went 21-25-2 in five seasons and unlike James was getting worse at his small school. He went 4-5-1, 4-4-1, 7-3, 3-6, and 3-7.

At Oregon here are his W-L I'll bold those where Tedford or Kelly wasn't his OC.

1995: 9-3, 6-2, 3rd place. Ranked 18th
    1996: 6-5, 3-5, T-5th
    1997: 7-5, 3-5, T-7th

Totals: 22-13, 12-12

Now Tedford comes in the program

1998: 8-4, 5-3, T-3rd
    1999: 9-3, 6-2, T-2nd, ranked 18th
    2000: 10-2, 7-1, T-1st, ranked 7th
    2001: 11-1, 7-1, 1st, ranked 2nd

Totals: 38-10, 25-7

Now Tedford takes off to Cal.

2002: 7-6, 3-5, 8th place
    2003: 8-5, 5-3, T-3rd
    2004: 5-6, 4-4, T-5th
    2005: 10-2, 7-1, 2nd. Ranked 12th
    2006: 7-6, 4-5, T-5th

Totals: 37-25, 23-18

Chip Kelly now enters the program.

2007: 9-4, 5-4, T-4th. Ranked 23rd(Were ranked top 5 all year until Dixon got hurt)
    2008: 10-3, 7-2, T-2nd. Ranked 10th

Totals: 19-7, 12-6

If these numbers don't spell out the picture that Bellotti is actually a bad coach who happened to benefit from two great OC's then I can't help you. The stats don't lie at all.
  • Options
    Truthfully I always knew Tedford/Kelly had carried Bellotti but I never knew it was this bad.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Bellotti's first team in 1995 was also a good team. It was probably the last one with a really good defense. But yeah, Rich Brooks' guys.

Yeah, that's some good research there - and Bellotti was probably one of the few HCs that really let their coordinators do their own thing. It was both a positive and a negative for us. It gave us Chip Kelly in 2007, but it also gave us Rich Stubler.
  • Options
    AZDuck said:

Bellotti's first team in 1995 was also a good team. It was probably the last one with a really good defense. But yeah, Rich Brooks' guys.

Yeah, that's some good research there - and Bellotti was probably one of the few HCs that really let their coordinators do their own thing. It was both a positive and a negative for us. It gave us Chip Kelly in 2007, but it also gave us Rich Stubler.

In six years with Kelly/Tedford he finished the year ranked five times the one year he didn't was Tedford's first year which they were ranked all year long until the bowl loss.

While without those two in eight seasons he finished the year ranked only twice one of which was a team he inherited that played in a Rose Bowl the year prior. Had Tedford or Kelly never entered the picture I think everyone would look at Bellotti as a bad coach.

In the six years with Tedford/Kelly he goes 57-17(.770), 37-13(.740) in conference. 5-1(.833) in bowl games

In the eight years without either Tedford or Kelly he goes 59-38(.608), 35-30(.538) in conference. 1-5 in bowl games(.166)
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Can we get back to comparing the 95-96 Sonics and the 13-14 Trailblazers?
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

Can we get back to comparing the 95-96 Sonics and the 13-14 Trailblazers?

Trail Blazers are shaping up!

• Options
    Nobody1627Nobody1627 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Interesting discussion. I'm just not sure the numbers show MB as clearly a "bad coach". Even in the years without Tedford/Kelly as OC, the numbers show Oregon at 59-38 (.608) and 35-30 (0.538) in a BCS AQ conference.

Recall, when Bellotti took over, Oregon hadn't won a Rose Bowl in something like 77 years and had been to maybe 4 decent bowls total over that same stretch (1994 Rose, 1957 Rose, 1948 Cotton, 1919 Rose - all losses).

Going (.608) in BCS AQ conference at that sort of program might not be considered "bad coaching". I think Saben was (.576) at Michigan State and Myles was (.571) at Oklahoma State. Bellotti's 0.608 isn't that far off UW's all time football winning % of 0.612 (Stassen); and, those are only counting Bellotti's "bad" years.

• Options

Interesting discussion. I'm just not sure the numbers show MB as clearly a "bad coach". Even in the years without Tedford/Kelly as OC, the numbers show Oregon at 59-38 (.608) and 35-30 (0.538) in a BCS AQ conference.

Recall, when Bellotti took over, Oregon hadn't won a Rose Bowl in something like 77 years and had been to maybe 4 decent bowls total over that same stretch (1994 Rose, 1957 Rose, 1948 Cotton, 1919 Rose - all losses).

Going (.608) in BCS AQ conference at that sort of program might not be considered "bad coaching". I think Saben was (.576) at Michigan State and Myles was (.571) at Oklahoma State. Bellotti's 0.608 isn't that far off UW's all time football winning % of 0.612 (Stassen); and, those are only counting Bellotti's "bad" years.

You set up an account just to defend mediocre Bellotti? Also my definition of bad is different than most. Like I call Sark or even Jim Lambright a bad coach. Lambo has an impressive W-L% as well much like Bellotti.

However the stats don't lie when it comes to the years with Kelly/Tedford vs the years without them. Look at the conference W-L, the number of ranked teams and bowl W-L in the Kelly/Tedford years vs the years without them. It's literally night and day.
  • Options
    ToiletSeatToiletSeat Member Posts: 150

Helfrich needs to drag his nuts through shards of glass in the offseason and get tougher on the players or hit the road.

This is a case where you should probably follow your own advice.
  • Options
    Dick_B said:

*gurgle*?

It truly is a shame I'm wasting good material on the Duck thread so 81% of our poasters aren't reading this.

Finally someone slammed that one home.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    Standard Supporter
    Still gotta give Bellotti some credit for having the foresight to hire Tedford and Kelly.

No Addison (ACL injury), no Huff (graduated), and no DAT (left for NFL) makes the offense easier defend...Daryl Hawkins is also gone too and I think he was their 4th leading WR.

Lots of pressure on guys like Keanon Lowe (RS-SR and 6th in receiving last year for them) and John Mundt (7th leading receiver as a true frosh TE) to present coverage threats.