Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jen Cohen has got to go NOW

Comments

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,571
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

thechatch said:
    I heard there was a large Bitcoin donation that was agreed to saving the AD some of their cash reserves. Don’t under estimate the importance of donation from an anonymous booster.
    Post of the year
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Jen had a no-brainer hire of Eric Musselman and instead hires a guy who couldn’t take over for a coach who pees himself. She hired Jimmy without having any knowledge/oversite in making him successful…the John Donovan hire should never have happened because any competent AD would have put a stop to it.

The idea of her hiring anyone should frighten everyone.

This
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Jen had a no-brainer hire of Eric Musselman and instead hires a guy who couldn’t take over for a coach who pees himself. She hired Jimmy without having any knowledge/oversite in making him successful…the John Donovan hire should never have happened because any competent AD would have put a stop to it.

So Jen’s supposed to be the expert on OC hires?

It was a questionable at best hire at the time and the disaster it turned out to be was a contributing factor in Jimmy getting rightfully fired

But having an AD overtly micro manage hiring decisions by her directs … that’s not how things work

I’m plenty critical of Jen but not in this regard … that’s 1000% on Jimmy
  • Options

Tequilla said:

It was a questionable at best hire at the time and the disaster it turned out to be was a contributing factor in Jimmy getting rightfully fired

But having an AD overtly micro manage hiring decisions by her directs … that’s not how things work

No. But you didn’t have to be an expert to know that was a dumb idea to hire jondon. A simple google search shows that it was a stupid idea.

The contract terms and understanding of leverage shows her lack of intelligence related to Jondon
    If I was the AD and the JonDon hire crosses my desk, I’m going to ask some high level questions regarding background and why this is the right person

I’m not going to stand in the way because part of my job as a leader is to give people the opportunity and resources to be successful

But I’m also going to take note that if the hire goes south that instead of having confidence in the next hire being right that it’s much more likely an indication of having the wrong person
  • Options

Tequilla said:

If an AD sees her staff member making a colossal mistake, you intervene. This is not difficult.
    Intervene how?
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

No. But you didn’t have to be an expert to know that was a dumb idea to hire jondon. A simple google search shows that it was a stupid idea.

The contract terms and understanding of leverage shows her lack of intelligence related to Jondon
    If I was the AD and the JonDon hire crosses my desk, I’m going to ask some high level questions regarding background and why this is the right person

I’m not going to stand in the way because part of my job as a leader is to give people the opportunity and resources to be successful

But I’m also going to take note that if the hire goes south that instead of having confidence in the next hire being right that it’s much more likely an indication of having the wrong person
    Then you would be in the exact same position Jen is in now. Not good. 3 years at 800k plus per is so laughable. Jimmy’s buyout is stupid. She is so far over her head. I understand the notion of getting out the way, but this was red flag that puts your job on the line too.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

If you are hiring a completely green brand new coach having a clueless AD is an extremely dangerous thing…I bet she had no clue recruiting was in the shitter until some boosters told her so. If Poolboy was there do you really think he would have let Jimmy hire Donovan…esp on that contract…or let recruiting crater for 2 years before stepping in and getting more resources or something to help? Don’t kid yourself and try and rationalize that away…Jimmy may have been and who knows maybe one day will be a good head coach…and he would have had a much better chance of success if he had a competent AD supporting him. But on his own (which he was with this Athletic Department) it was obvious he didn’t have a clue how to organize/run a football program.

Everything has its pluses and minuses…for an experienced coach set in his ways (Peterson for example) having a cluelessly supportive AD is probably a wonderful thing. For a lazy brand-new coach it was a recipe for disaster.
    But that’s a completely different argument … which I agree with

The big problem is that Jen lacks almost all of the skills necessary to be a good leader of people

If you had a legit hiring process part of the deal is asking about what kind of staff the candidate would hire, etc

Instead Jen just went along with the ride and defaulted to Jimmy …

The time for Jen to have interjected was BEFORE JonDon’s name ever got to her desk … it would have been before noting that as a 1st time coach with a defensive emphasis that he would likely benefit greatly from an experienced offensive coach that could own that side of the ball

Instead, as we all know, Jimmy went out of his way to surround himself with yes people and effectively pushed out the most influential and powerful voice on staff in Kwiatkowski

It’s why giving Jimmy the slack to fire people and survive was never a palpable path forward for me
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

If an AD sees her staff member making a colossal mistake, you intervene. This is not difficult.
    Intervene how?
    Jesus Christ Teq.
    It’s a simple question

I’m asking you to clarify as to not jump to conclusions

If I’m jumping to conclusions I’d expect you to say that if you were the AD you would have blocked and not signed off on the hire

• Options

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Then you would be in the exact same position Jen is in now. Not good. 3 years at 800k plus per is so laughable. Jimmy’s buyout is stupid. She is so far over her head. I understand the notion of getting out the way, but this was red flag that puts your job on the line too.
    What reason does Jen have to care though about her fate?

If she gets fired she collects her contract just like Jimmy

If she’s of the mindset that she’s likely retiring at the end of her contract in 2024 then it’s even less of a long term concern for her

Jen likes to talk about being a steward … but she’s always been as much about expanding her brand, reputation and ego as she has been about UW and the student athletes. Jen is in the business of Jen … period
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Intervene how?
    Jesus Christ Teq.
    It’s a simple question

If I’m jumping to conclusions I’d expect you to say that if you were the AD you would have blocked and not signed off on the hire

If I'm running a business, and I see an employee making a terrible decision, I intervene.
    #management
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Intervene how?
    Jesus Christ Teq.
    It’s a simple question

If I'm running a business, and I see an employee making a terrible decision, I intervene.
    So you’re going to micro manage your employees

It’s an approach