Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    On Dec. 3, 2019, Chris Petersen stood at a podium in a purple shirt and tie and unintentionally set the expectation.
    Less than 24 hours earlier, the University of Washington announced that Petersen — its 55-year-old head football coach — would stunningly step down after six successful seasons and 54 wins. At the time, his career winning percentage of .793 ranked second among active coaches with at least five years of FBS experience. He reached 100 career wins faster than all but four coaches in major college history, doing so in just 117 games.
    In an event space on the west side of Husky Stadium, Petersen stood in front of reporters, staff, alumni, boosters and a host of clicking cameras, and explained why this was the right time for a change — both personally, and for the program at large. “I think the foundation is really good and really solid,” he said. “But you can feel, it just needs a little new direction and a boost of energy. (The program) doesn’t need to be blown up, but it does need to be tweaked and changed.”
    That “boost of energy” sat in a black suit, a white shirt and a purple tie 10 feet to his left. The Jimmy Lake Era at Washington was underway.
    But before he left the podium — and handed off his headset — Petersen offered a prediction as well.
    “I have no doubt that this program is going to continue to grow. It’s going to take the next step, and we’ll be back to winning Pac-12 championships,” he said, before pausing and realizing what he’d done. “Sorry, Jimmy. That’s (on) these guys (pointing to media members) to put that pressure on you. I didn’t mean to do that. But I do believe that.”
    Whether he meant to or not, Petersen established an expectation.
    And in the 22 months since, Lake has repeatedly, enthusiastically reinforced it.
    “We should be contending for the Pac-12 championship every single year,” Lake said on Aug. 24, when asked what fans should expect from his program on an annual basis. “Every single year, we should be contending for the Pac-12 championship and going to a big bowl game. That’s fair. That is fair. Anything less than that is unacceptable. It’s unacceptable. We should be challenging late in November for the Pac-12 championship and positioning ourselves for a big bowl game.”
    Under those parameters, a 2-3 start is unacceptable. A 27-24 loss at Oregon State is unacceptable. A prime-time mauling at Michigan — featuring 343 Wolverine rushing yards — is unacceptable. An offense producing 17 points in its first two games is unacceptable. A season-opening home loss to FCS Montana is (absolutely) unacceptable.  
    A 2022 signing class that currently comprises just 10 verbal commits (with four de-commits) and ranks 53rd nationally and eighth in the Pac-12 — on pace for its lowest class ranking since 2009, when the Huskies fired coach Tyrone Willingham following a winless season — is unacceptable and unsustainable (even if Lake refuses to acknowledge recruiting rankings).

Granted, there have been numerous unforeseen obstacles — like a global pandemic and an arguably illegitimate four-game season. There have been injuries and absences involving key players (including Zion Tupuola-Fetui, Cade Otton, Richard Newton, Ryan Bowman, Rome Odunze, Jalen McMillan, Terrell Bynum, Brendan Radley-Hiles and Ja’Lynn Polk) as well. There has been adversity that Petersen, on that podium, could have never predicted.
    While the Huskies have seven games to flip the script, this doesn’t look like a program primed to win a Pac-12 title anytime soon.
    So, considering the expectation, is this where Lake expected to be after 22 months?
    “I think any coach taking over doesn’t go into it saying, ‘Hey, you know, I want to go .500 here.’ We want to win all of our games,” Lake said Monday, as his 2-3 Huskies headed into a bye week. “This is competition. We’re going against other teams that are trying to win as well. I love competing. Our team loves competing. Our staff loves competing. And we wish we could win every single game that we’ve been in. That’s the goal every single week.
    “The beautiful thing about competing is there’s obstacles thrown in your way all the time. All the time. Whether it’s a pandemic, whether it’s injuries … it’s things you don’t know are going to come about. An assistant coach (tight ends coach Derham Cato against Oregon State) getting rolled up on the sideline and you don’t have him for the rest of the game. A lightning storm two years ago (against Cal). There’s all these things that go on, and that’s competition. And I love it. I love it. So, I’m thankful we have a good culture on our team that has been able to deal with all the different adversities that we’ve had to go through. You’re going to continue see a team that’s going to continue to fight.” 
    But adversity aside, fight aside, excuses aside, Lake is making $3.1 million in 2021 to win. Offensive coordinator John Donovan is making $875,000 to (score and) win. Defensive coordinator Bob Gregory is making $800,000 to (stop the run and) win.
    This is a results business, and they’re paid to overcome obstacles. They’re paid to contend every single year — Lake’s words — for Pac-12 titles. They’re paid to reach the expectation.
    And if they don’t, difficult decisions may need to be made.

Mike Vorel: mvorel@seattletimes.com; on Twitter: @MikeVorel. Mike Vorel is the UW football beat writer for The Seattle Times.

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I don't pine for Petersen but I still Beat My Meat For Pete.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited October 2021
    Granted, there have been numerous unforeseen obstacles — like a global pandemic and an arguably illegitimate four-game season. There have been injuries and absences involving key players (including Zion Tupuola-Fetui, Cade Otton, Richard Newton, Ryan Bowman, Rome Odunze, Jalen McMillan, Terrell Bynum, Brendan Radley-Hiles and Ja’Lynn Polk) as well. There has been adversity that Petersen, on that podium, could have never predicted.

Vorel doing God's work by piling up the excuses?

What school didn't have to deal with the pandemic?

What school doesn't deal with injuries and absences to key players?

EVERY FUCKING SCHOOL DEALS WITH THE SAME SHIT

Edit...I missed this gem of hardship:

An assistant coach (tight ends coach Derham Cato against Oregon State) getting rolled up on the sideline and you don’t have him for the rest of the game.

Who can expect to win with an injured TE Corch? Impossible I say. IMPOSSIBLE
  • Options

An assistant coach (tight ends coach Derham Cato against Oregon State) getting rolled up on the sideline and you don’t have him for the rest of the game.

That's a stupid take away from Vorel's piece since he ultimately concludes that Lake is fucking up. Presenting both sides of the argument and then making a conclusion is what technically gifted writers do.
    You expect me to read the entire article before making a hawt take?

You must be gnu around here.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

That's a stupid take away from Vorel's piece since he ultimately concludes that Lake is fucking up. Presenting both sides of the argument and then making a conclusion is what technically gifted writers do.
    Engrish is hadd
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,680
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Shouldn't you be out playing frogger on I5 with your bike?
  • Options
    chuck said:

Shouldn't you be out playing frogger on I5 with your bike?
    Mom gave me internet access. Making hay, as the saying goes.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,041
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Offensive coordinator John Donovan is making $875,000 to (score and) win.

lmao
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,700
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Fuck off and diaff, govle
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,063
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

@DerekJohnson true?
  • Options

Thems some awfully large cherries.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,420
    Founders Club

These are the exact words that went through my mind as I read that piece this morning in another thread
    ----

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,420
    Founders Club

@DerekJohnson true?
    you rang?
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,495
    Founders Club

These are the exact words that went through my mind as I read that piece this morning in another thread
    ----

You don't want to see Stalin mad. You just don't.