Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Mariners playoff hunt

13»

Comments

• PrestonluvPrestonluv Member Posts: 275
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Back in the day, the 102+ wins Dodgers wouldn’t even have made the playoffs. It’s unlucky for them, but part of the game. I don’t hate it.

How long ago was that?

Hasn’t it always been the 3 winners plus one wild card for the 4?

They changed to the 3 winners plus 2 wild cards after that

And the choking begins

I wouldn’t call winning 10 of last 12 choking

Baseball is high variance. A sweep would be a slight choke but nothing crazy. A choke would be going 2-10 to miss the playoffs after being 4 games up. Not 10-2 to be in the hunt still after being 4 games back.

• dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,798
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,885
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Back in the day, the 102+ wins Dodgers wouldn’t even have made the playoffs. It’s unlucky for them, but part of the game. I don’t hate it.

How long ago was that?

For about 100+ years, there were no wild cards.

In the 1980s, some team (I can't remember who) won over 100 games and missed the playoffs. And in 1987 (I think), the Twins won 85 games and made the playoffs and won the World Series

https://baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/1987-standings.shtml
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

How long ago was that?

Before 95, so admittedly a long time ago.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,243
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Fishpo31 said:

Fishpo31 said:

It’s on mlb network right now. Usually blacked out

Just got shut, hole…
    You fucking liar
    Wasn’t lying when I typed it, jinxed the shit when I did…
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,798
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

Fishpo31 said:

Fishpo31 said:

It’s on mlb network right now. Usually blacked out

Just got shut, hole…
    You fucking liar
    Wasn’t lying when I typed it, jinxed the shit when I did…
    I know. It was just fun.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    First and third no outs in the 7th. Gotta score there. Three straight strikeouts.
    Just a double whammy

In the span of like 10’minutes we get a 3 run homer and than a FG to beat us.

Standard Seattle sports

Mitch “fuckin” Haniger
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    And they finish 2 out. Didn’t see that coming…
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,467
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I knew they would lose as soon as I saw the Angels' starting pitcher was a rookie w/4 career starts and a 7.11 ERA.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,885
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I knew they would lose as soon as I saw the Angels' starting pitcher was a rookie w/4 career starts and a 7.11 ERA.

I knew they would lose would Softy proclaimed that no matter what happened last weekend, 2022 would be special
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I knew they would lose would Softy proclaimed that no matter what happened last weekend, 2022 would be special
    This was a good season by Mariners standards which isn't much. Much better than the heap of shit the last 20 years or so and the one big difference between this season and the one a few years back where they "almost" made the playoffs win is the #1 farm system. The past decade it has been near dead last.

Now I am NOT on board that next year is going to be better yet. Still so many gaping holes in this lineup. The fact that you have Tom Murphy and Dylan Moore in the line is atrocious. Ideally, batters like Toro and Torrens should be the "bad" hitters in your lineup. Everyone is banking on Kyle Lewis but that guy is going to be chronically injured his whole career and should be expected as much at this point. Julio should be up and provide a big spark in the lineup, but I think they need to get one big bat in free agency.

Starting pitching is still a huge liability as well. With everyone on the line yesterday you sent out TIM FUCKING ANDERSON to bring it home. Kikuchi was trash at the end of the year. Marco, Flexen, and GIlbert are fine but hopefully Kirby and Hancock fill in those final spots.

Next year is a big one for Dipoto, he has done a great job at rebuilding the horrid farm system Jack Z left but now is time for that to translate into actual results, not a couple game out from the wild card moral victories.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,467
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Kyle Lewis should be moved to DH.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,604
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The lineup is young. I'm not optimistic enough to assume this, but guys like Kelenic, Toro, and Torrens could/should all put up better numbers next season. Moore is a role player and not bad in his role...he's Willie Bloomquist with some power. I have no problem seeing him rotate into the lineup as guys need days off or as a short term injury replacement.

Finally, Ty Feance is freakin legit. Watch him improve on 2021. It's coming.

I assume the pen will get retooled some and hopefully improved, but it doesn't have to. The only one I think is extremely hard to replace is Sewald.

Gilbert may be the #1 starter as soon as next year. They have good 2-4 guys (he's one of them now), but lack a #1.

I think there's a chance they could make a run without making any big moves. I'd be happier if they did, but not at the expense of a core group of about 9-10 guys.