Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mariners playoff hunt

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

This shits crazy

I can’t remember a time in history that a baseball team with a -50 run difference goes on a streak at the end of the season to contend during the last weekend of the season.

Insanity

That stat is crazy no doubt. One thing to note though is that when the Mariners lose this year they LOSE. Like 14-2 type of losses. Wins are 2-3 runs typically with not many blow outs.
    Doesn't that say a lot about their depth and overall talent in the bullpen?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,614
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

This shits crazy

I can’t remember a time in history that a baseball team with a -50 run difference goes on a streak at the end of the season to contend during the last weekend of the season.

Insanity

That stat is crazy no doubt. One thing to note though is that when the Mariners lose this year they LOSE. Like 14-2 type of losses. Wins are 2-3 runs typically with not many blow outs.
    Their bullpen, to me, seems a little overrated. It has been winning most of their games for them though. Servais does a pretty damn good job managing it, or has just been on a lucky streak.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

This shits crazy

Insanity

It says more about what a terrible idea the six man rotation was. Almost all of those blowout losses were bullpen days where they were throwing their 7th or 8th best reliever for multiple innings. No pen can handle that every six days.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

This shits crazy

Insanity

Their bullpen, to me, seems a little overrated. It has been winning most of their games for them though. Servais does a pretty damn good job managing it, or has just been on a lucky streak.
    Bullpens are chaotic for almost every team. One year they will be good, the next they are terrible. The Mariners have a couple of guys having great seasons out of the pen that had been horrible their entire career before this year.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

chuck said:

This shits crazy

Insanity

Bullpens are chaotic for almost every team. One year they will be good, the next they are terrible. The Mariners have a couple of guys having great seasons out of the pen that had been horrible their entire career before this year.
    Bullpen volatility is real.

That said, Dipoto seems to have a knack for cheaply identifying bullpen parts who have the potential to turn things around. For just one example. Joe Smith was absolutely awful in 21 innings for Houston this year. He's been really good in 18 years since the M's basically picked him up as a spare part in the Graveman/Toro trade.

The M's pen has been the strength of the team nearly every year he's been here.
  • Options
    PrestonluvPrestonluv Member Posts: 275
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tied for wild card lead going into weekend
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tied for wild card lead going into weekend

M’s got exactly what they needed last night. Blue Jays get the Orioles for their last series, but anything can happen.
  • Options
    PrestonluvPrestonluv Member Posts: 275
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited October 2021
    The real injustice this season is that the team with the 2nd best record in all of baseball will be in a one game playoff.

This should never ever happen

If the Dodgers lose in the one game playoff I expect some format grumbling to take place.

An 6 team playoff is better with this format or go back to the 4 game format.

You cannot have a 100+ win team in a single game playoff in any circumstance IMO. Even if it’s once a decade

Division winner with the order record is a 3 seed. Give the high seeds 5 days off to rest

Best of 3

3 vs 6
    4 vs 5

Best of 5

4/5 vs 1
    3/6 vs 2

Best of 7

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,614
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

The real injustice this season is that the team with the 2nd best record in all of baseball will be in a one game playoff.

If the Dodgers lose in the one game playoff I expect some format grumbling to take place.

You cannot have a 100+ win team in a single game playoff in any circumstance IMO. Even if it’s once a decade

Division winner with the order record is a 3 seed. Give the high seeds 5 days off to rest

Best of 3

3 vs 6
    4 vs 5

Best of 5

4/5 vs 1
    3/6 vs 2

Best of 7

I dig the idea of three game series and six teams. Just let the higher seed host all three and make it quick. The one game playoff is exciting but I don't like it either and not just because a team with 103+ wins is getting stuck with it.

Or just go to four teams and the wildcard game only happens if there's a tie.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Best of 3

3 vs 6
    4 vs 5

Best of 5

4/5 vs 1
    3/6 vs 2

Best of 7

This. One game play in wild card games are fucking stupid.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,301
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LA radio is not happy with the prospect of the one game playoff

PLAYOFFS?

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,486
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Best of 3

3 vs 6
    4 vs 5

Best of 5

4/5 vs 1
    3/6 vs 2

Best of 7

Disagree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_American_League_West_tie-breaker_game
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,301
    Swaye's Wigwam

Best of 3

3 vs 6
    4 vs 5

Best of 5

4/5 vs 1
    3/6 vs 2

Best of 7

Disagree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_American_League_West_tie-breaker_game
    I was there
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Back in the day, the 102+ wins Dodgers wouldn’t even have made the playoffs. It’s unlucky for them, but part of the game. I don’t hate it.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,889
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Why the fuck is root sports so twash. Any of you young whipper snappers know how I can watch this shit?
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,249
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    It’s on mlb network right now. Usually blacked out
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,249
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Fishpo31 said:

It’s on mlb network right now. Usually blacked out

Just got shut, hole…
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,889