Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mariners playoff hunt

Probably ends today at 1:00 but these young guys can play!

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Is that like a snipe hunt?
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited September 2021
    How many times have we seen this script.

Start out slow, and you think they are out of it. They then go on an absolute tear, and get just into striking distance of a playoff birth, then they rip your heart out in the final 4-5 games.

1.5 games back with five games to play. Wouldn't be surprised if they go 2-3 to end and finish 2 out.
  • Options
    PrestonluvPrestonluv Member Posts: 275
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Amazing honestly

1 game back in loss column and it would not shock me at all to go 3-1 in last 4 and get into tiebreaker with 91 wins
  • Options

Amazing honestly

1 game back in loss column and it would not shock me at all to go 3-1 in last 4 and get into tiebreaker with 91 wins

Most of us have been beaten too many times to expect anything other than missing out by a game or two.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    Founders Club

How many times have we seen this script.

Start out slow, and you think they are out of it. They then go on an absolute tear, and get just into striking distance of a playoff birth, then they rip your heart out in the final 4-5 games.

1.5 games back with five games to play. Wouldn't be surprised if they go 2-3 to end and finish 2 out.

On the other hand, in 1985 the M's started 6-0 and then proceeded to lose 10 of 11. I think they finished 61-101 that year if memory serves me
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    Founders Club
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I can only think of one time in last 15nyears where we were close to playoffs. Like 5-6 years ago. Felix was on mounds last game of season.

Am I missing other seasons? Mariners have sucked for better part of last two decades
  • Options

I can only think of one time in last 15nyears where we were close to playoffs. Like 5-6 years ago. Felix was on mounds last game of season.

Am I missing other seasons? Mariners have sucked for better part of last two decades

There was a couple years ago, where they started something like 14-2, then proceeded to suck again.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

There was a couple years ago, where they started something like 14-2, then proceeded to suck again.
    2019 iirc
  • Options
    dnc said:

2019 iirc
    Ok. I was just talking about end of year
  • Options

dnc said:

2019 iirc
    Ok. I was just talking about end of year
    Hence why I upvote'd you
  • Options

You lead the team to it's first ever .500 record?!?

Wait, Bill Plummer's available?

• Options

dnc said:

You lead the team to it's first ever .500 record?!?

Wait, Bill Plummer's available?

I was sitting in my car in a restaurant parking lot in Federal Way listening to the 9th inning. They were in Texas and beat the Rangers to secure their 82nd win. Alvin Davis was crying in the locker room. Dave Nieuhaus was choking up. He kept shouting "The Mariners are winners! My oh my!"

Then 12 months later we hired Plummer and descended straight back into hell.
    It’s worse than you remember. The Ms non renewed Lefebvre after 91 (that first winking season) and hired Plummer. So it was probably a month or two after they secured that 82nd win.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,129
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Mariners were my first love. Left them at the altar for another team and sport in 91. They’re my evidence why I’ll never quit the Huskies because as many times as the Mariners have fucked us all over I can’t quit them
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,250
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I am happy, if for no other reason than I don't have to sweat them "finishing strong", thereby fucking up getting the first pick in the draft next year, which is how we got Ackley, and not Strassburg. IIRC, we had a couple of gritty, come from behind victories vs the A's, and my wife was pissed for days that I would root for the M's to lose...no wonder I feel "welcome" here, JFC...
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,615
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm just happy they beat the shit out of the As. They've been the bane of my existence too many times going back to the 80s when u was a Royals fan. I hate them.
  • Options
    This shits crazy

I can’t remember a time in history that a baseball team with a -50 run difference goes on a streak at the end of the season to contend during the last weekend of the season.

Insanity
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

This shits crazy

I can’t remember a time in history that a baseball team with a -50 run difference goes on a streak at the end of the season to contend during the last weekend of the season.

Insanity

That stat is crazy no doubt. One thing to note though is that when the Mariners lose this year they LOSE. Like 14-2 type of losses. Wins are 2-3 runs typically with not many blow outs.