Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Pac-12 Coaching Talent Down

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

It's gonna be funny on this bored when the fightin' doogs finish 7-6 next year.

Check the script.

I'll love this bored if that happens.

• Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Regarding Shaw- 34-7 is commendable, as are consecutive Pac-12 titles, but the 2012 Fiesta Bowel and 2014 Rose Bowl were bad enough to keep him off the top of the list. He at least deserves an asterisk.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,447
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2014

The reason is the most successful guys (Carroll, Harbaugh, Chip) moved onto the NFL. The money is there for better assistants but we all know its the top guy that makes the entire staff. The conference is getting better players and better assistants but the most important part of that equation is a lot weaker than it was 5 years ago. As it is, Mora and Petersen to me are clearly the two best coaches in the conference with Rich Rod and Graham probably the next two. Petersen is clearly the best in the Pac-12 North. It bodes well for us over the next 5 years.

Let's check that...

2009:

Arizona: Stoops (5th year)
    ASU: Erickson (3rd year)
    Cal: Tedford (8th year)
    (Colorado): Hawkins (4th year)
    Oregon: Kelly (1st year)
    OSU: Riley (7th year)
    Stanford: Harbaugh (3rd year)
    UCLA: Neuheisel (2nd year)
    USC: Carroll (9th year)
    (Utah): Whittingham (5th year)
    UW: Sark (1st year)
    Wazzu: Wulff (2nd year)

2014:

Arizona: RichRod
    ASU: Graham
    Cal: Dykes
    Colorado: MacIntyre
    Oregon: Helfrich
    OSU: Riley
    Stanford: Shaw
    UCLA: Mora
    USC: Sark
    Utah: Whittingham
    UW: Petersen
    Wazzu: Leach

Delta:

Arizona: +
    ASU: +
    Cal: -
    Colorado: +
    Oregon: -
    Stanford: -
    UCLA: +
    USC: -
    UW: +
    Wazzu: +

I count 6 better coaches and 4 worse coaches. 2014 looks better than 2009 overall. Sure, it doesn't have Carroll, Harbaugh or Kelly but it did have Wulff, the wrong Stoops, Hawkins and Tedford, Neu and Erickson were all on the decline.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    I guess the middle tier is a lot better but the top tier is much weaker.

Carroll won multiple NC's, Under Chip Oregon was basically a top 2 or 3 program and Harbaugh took over a dumpster fire and after his 4th year he leaves them with a #1 ranking in SRS.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,447

I guess the middle tier is a lot better but the top tier is much weaker.

Carroll won multiple NC's, Under Chip Oregon was basically a top 2 or 3 program and Harbaugh took over a dumpster fire and after his 4th year he leaves them with a #1 ranking in SRS.

Fair enough.

The top tier is weaker, but if you look at everyone else, every team improved on their coaching since sans Cal.

Be curious to see if any of these coaches ever moves up to the upper tier like Carroll, Kelly and Harbaugh. Shaw is the closest and Mora is getting there, but that's it for now. Guess we'll have a better idea of Petersen after this season, and I'd love to add his name to that list for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Carroll Vs. Harbaugh could go down as the greatest coaching rivalry of all-time. Fun to watch them go at it in the Pac (advantage Harbaugh) and now the NFC WEST (advantage Carroll).

When you throw in Chip, that top tier in the PAC was pretty damn impressive.
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

I thought Shaw was a jackass until he told our beloved fatass to stop being such a whiney cunt.

• Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Shaw sucks. Case closed.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Shaw sucks. Case closed.

34-7, two conference championships in three years sucks.

I don't love his game management by any means, but dude's teams show up ready to play.

If they don't fall off this year I don't think there's going to be a dropoff.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Far as resume I think Petersen has to be #1 followed by Shaw. I like Mora but he's 0-3 against Shaw and skipped Oregon one year/plunger the other. So for now I'd say he's 3rd. I go Graham 4th then after that is who cares except on principle Sark has to be 7th.
  • Options
    kh83kh83 Member Posts: 596
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    Shaw far from sucks. He has one glaring weakness and that's a stubborn insistence on sticking to his offensive identity. In almost every other important coaching skill (recruiting, player dev, x's and o's) he's damn good.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited March 2014
    I put Peterman fourth due to the lack of BCS quality competition (yes, BCC plays a couple of teams each yr., but then plays MW dreck eight times). I think he will be much better than Hawkins and Koetter, but I can't put a non-aq coach first until he proves it.

As for Shaw, I thought Stanfraud would have dropped off to 6-6 by now. He's doing it with a limited talent pool.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    kh83 said:

Shaw far from sucks. He has one glaring weakness and that's a stubborn insistence on sticking to his offensive identity. In almost every other important coaching skill (recruiting, player dev, x's and o's) he's damn good.

Shaw is a really good coach. But his decision making late in games puzzles me, in his losses this year.
    Utah-marched it all the way down to the six running gaffney, then inexplicably threw it on 3rd and 4th and.2, and he had plenty of time, almost 30 seconds and multiple timeouts.
    I didn't put the USC loss on him. They lost that because of 2 bad picks by hogan, 1 in the redzone.
    the loss to Michigan state was terrible, michigan state had practically the whole team at the LOS but shaw was determined to jam it up the middle. He also let a ton of time off the clock without even hurrying. Overall he recruits well and his player development is also very good, but he makes puzzling decisions from time to time
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    That said he would belong in my top 3 behind mora and maybe behind Petersen but it's close
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Shaw played Nunes until after the WSU game two years ago. I think it cost them a BCS title game appearance.
  • Options
    GlobalGlobal Member Posts: 333
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    kh83 said:

I'm as follows:

1. Shaw
    2. Mora Jr
    3. Peterson
    4. Graham
    5. Rich Rod
    6. Reilly
    7. Whittingham
    8. Slingblade
    9. Sark
    10. Mac
    11. Leach
    12. Dykes

That is a great list. I would go a bit different, but not much:

1. Shaw
    2. Mora Jr
    3. Graham
    4. Peterson
    5. Reilly
    6. Rich Rod
    7. Leach
    8. Helfrich
    9. Sark
    10. Whittingham
    11. Mac
    12. Dykes

• Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

The reason is the most successful guys (Carroll, Harbaugh, Chip) moved onto the NFL. The money is there for better assistants but we all know its the top guy that makes the entire staff. The conference is getting better players and better assistants but the most important part of that equation is a lot weaker than it was 5 years ago. As it is, Mora and Petersen to me are clearly the two best coaches in the conference with Rich Rod and Graham probably the next two. Petersen is clearly the best in the Pac-12 North. It bodes well for us over the next 5 years.

Fair enough, Shaw is a good coach and my bad for the omission.

But would you trade Petersen for Shaw? I don't think anyone here would.

kh83 said:

I'm as follows:

1. Shaw
    2. Mora Jr
    3. Peterson
    4. Graham
    5. Rich Rod
    6. Reilly
    7. Whittingham
    8. Slingblade
    9. Sark
    10. Mac
    11. Leach
    12. Dykes

kh83 said:

I'm as follows:

1. Shaw
    2. Mora Jr
    3. Peterson
    4. Graham
    5. Rich Rod
    6. Reilly
    7. Whittingham
    8. Slingblade
    9. Sark
    10. Mac
    11. Leach
    12. Dykes

Uhhhh let's go ahead and slide Leach in there for Mora. What is ya, Ignant? At least till wait until Mora racks up 10 straight bowl games.
  • Options
    Ooops, thought u had Mora third. Flip flop those two (pete, leach), Mora to 4
  • Options

Check the script.

Check the script.

Agree cuntslice.