Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Pac-12 Coaching Talent Down

The reason is the most successful guys (Carroll, Harbaugh, Chip) moved onto the NFL. The money is there for better assistants but we all know its the top guy that makes the entire staff. The conference is getting better players and better assistants but the most important part of that equation is a lot weaker than it was 5 years ago. As it is, Mora and Petersen to me are clearly the two best coaches in the conference with Rich Rod and Graham probably the next two. Petersen is clearly the best in the Pac-12 North. It bodes well for us over the next 5 years.

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    As usual the general perception of David Shaw is way low. Yes, we can nitpick things here and there about the dude like with any coach, but I don't see how you can possibly say Petersen is clearly his superior at this poont (let alone Mora).

I agree we have top 3 coaching in the conference, but not putting Shaw in the top 4 is Section14aFS.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Shaw is the best coach in the PAC until proven otherwise. People dislike him because they think he's an uppity black man but he is far and away from riding Harbaugh's coattails
  • Options

Shaw is the best coach in the PAC until proven otherwise. People dislike him because they think he's an uppity black man but he is far and away from riding Harbaugh's coattails

Agree
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,479
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Fair enough, Shaw is a good coach and my bad for the omission.

But would you trade Petersen for Shaw? I don't think anyone here would.

I would, but only because I'm in favor of affirmative action.
  • Options

It's a good question. Probably not, but I don't think it's open and shut. I think Shaw is obviously a great fit for Stanford (Hi ApostleOfGrief!). I also think Petersen is a great fit for UW.

I'd probably pick Pete, just because I'm not sure Shaw would piss off Grinolds the same way. But I think Shaw is a damn good coach. Until someone actually proves their better, he's the class of the conference IMO.

• Options
    VegasdawgVegasdawg Member Posts: 370
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    I would pick Pete over Shaw and i don't buy the sales pitch that because BSU was in a lessor conference that somehow it translated into a bogus win loss record.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited March 2014
    1) Mora Jr.
    1b) Shaw
    3) Graham
    4) Peterman (w/ potential to easily move up)
    5) RichRod...maybe he can finally get Arizona to a Rose Bowl... Either way I think he looks to move up and move on eventually
    6-12) mediocrity and drek. Who cares...
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Can't put Mora ahead of Shaw at this point. Shaw took on Chip Kelly and won. Then followed up with another title. I'm not seeing the decline. He shit the bed here and there, but so has Mora.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Helfreich WON ELEVEN GAMES IN HIS FIRST SEASON MAN
  • Options
    kh83kh83 Member Posts: 596
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    I'm as follows:

1. Shaw
    2. Mora Jr
    3. Peterson
    4. Graham
    5. Rich Rod
    6. Reilly
    7. Whittingham
    8. Slingblade
    9. Sark
    10. Mac
    11. Leach
    12. Dykes
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    kh83 - that's actually a pretty good list. I'd put Leach higher on resume and he really does have to rebuild in Poop Island
  • Options
    SweatpantsGeneralSweatpantsGeneral Member Posts: 2,053
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

I gotta admit. I'm on the Poon bandwagon. (Is that the correct term for doogin' for Petersen? I like the sound of it)
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

The reason is the most successful guys (Carroll, Harbaugh, Chip) moved onto the NFL. The money is there for better assistants but we all know its the top guy that makes the entire staff. The conference is getting better players and better assistants but the most important part of that equation is a lot weaker than it was 5 years ago. As it is, Mora and Petersen to me are clearly the two best coaches in the conference with Rich Rod and Graham probably the next two. Petersen is clearly the best in the Pac-12 North. It bodes well for us over the next 5 years.

Doog Post 'o the Day.

Let's have Peterman complete 1 season in big boy football before we crown his ass.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    It's gonna be funny on this bored when the fightin' doogs finish 7-6 next year.

Check the script.