Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

"Around-the-block" Coordinator Hires...lol

13»

Comments

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,300 Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

I'm not willing to die on the Wilcocks hill I just like calling him Wilcocks and don't want him here if/when Jimmy fails

@dnc is riii righ right but still

I supper superior culture
    That's why I don't want him

Even with superior culture his record is meh

Reminds me of "Gilby didn't have the support he needed at Cal but he will do great at UW!"

@BearsWiin
    I wouldn't really want him. I do think he'd be an improvement over Jimmy and one of the few ones you can realistically imagine Jen pursuing.

I don't think he'd be the next great Husky coach though.

TPIO
    He would be a "meh" hire until he wins 10 games at Cal

Hire the ISU coach
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

dnc said:

I'm not willing to die on the Wilcocks hill I just like calling him Wilcocks and don't want him here if/when Jimmy fails

@dnc is riii righ right but still

I supper superior culture
    That's why I don't want him

Even with superior culture his record is meh

Reminds me of "Gilby didn't have the support he needed at Cal but he will do great at UW!"

@BearsWiin
    I wouldn't really want him. I do think he'd be an improvement over Jimmy and one of the few ones you can realistically imagine Jen pursuing.

I don't think he'd be the next great Husky coach though.

TPIO
    He would be a "meh" hire until he wins 10 games at Cal

Hire the ISU coach
    Jen Cohen has as much chance of hiring Nick Saban as she does Matt Campbell.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,300 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2021
    Sources said:

Sarks never ending 3 and outs never helped.

The games we got blown out were the ones the offense went 3 and out 4 times a quarter with a 5 min total time of possession
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,772 Founders Club

Sources said:

Sarks never ending 3 and outs never helped.

The games we got blown out were the ones the offense went 3 and out 4 times a quarter with a 5 min total time of possession
    Those Sark years were so frustrating. The three game losing streaks, the head scratching blowouts, the same excuses over and over again and a complete inability to ever recruit competent offensive lineman. You replace your entire defensive staff for incompetence and retain Dan Cozzeto? WTF?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,355 Founders Club
    Ty had the annual 6 game losing streak

Sark cut that in half
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,438 Founders Club

chuck said:

I think the overarching point is correct. It always comes back to the head coach.

You can tell good assistants from really bad ones in most cases though. Wilcox is a good defensive coach. It wasn't hard to see the immediate improvement over Holt.

My guess is that Petersen would have had similarly good defenses at UW with Wilcox as DC as he had with Kawasaki. There's a hell of a lot more to it than scheme. The HC is responsible for the culture, work ethic and all that other gay stuff but he's also ultimately responsible for the personnel. Petersen was a good roster builder. Sark was not.

I expect Texas and Sark to still give up 50 to Oklahoma even with Kwat even with Herman players

Sounds like I agree with you
    Yeah, I am fully expecting Kwat to become Sark's first scapegoat.
    I completely agree with Mandel's assessment of JL OC/DC hires but we are two weeks away from starting to find out.

Are you being serious about K being Sark's scapegoat?

I see him and Choate as DL coach turning it around in 1.5 years max. I think they will have growing pains this year but by end of 2022 you will see the turn at the latest.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,355 Founders Club
    2023 should be special

On brand for Sark
    godawgst said:

chuck said:

I think the overarching point is correct. It always comes back to the head coach.

You can tell good assistants from really bad ones in most cases though. Wilcox is a good defensive coach. It wasn't hard to see the immediate improvement over Holt.

My guess is that Petersen would have had similarly good defenses at UW with Wilcox as DC as he had with Kawasaki. There's a hell of a lot more to it than scheme. The HC is responsible for the culture, work ethic and all that other gay stuff but he's also ultimately responsible for the personnel. Petersen was a good roster builder. Sark was not.

I expect Texas and Sark to still give up 50 to Oklahoma even with Kwat even with Herman players

I completely agree with Mandel's assessment of JL OC/DC hires but we are two weeks away from starting to find out.

I see him and Choate as DL coach turning it around in 1.5 years max. I think they will have growing pains this year but by end of 2022 you will see the turn at the latest.

The defense at UW was good the minute Kwat came on. Defense was a Petersen focal point. Has it ever been a Sark focal point?
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,922 Swaye's Wigwam

godawgst said:

chuck said:

The defense at UW was good the minute Kwat came on. Defense was a Petersen focal point. Has it ever been a Sark focal point?
    Petersen would have solid to good defenses at UW no matter what. Ed Donnatel would have succeeded as DC with oetersen as head coach.

Kwat will disappoint with sark as HC. All of his position coaches will suffer too.
    chuck said:

godawgst said:

chuck said:

Petersen would have solid to good defenses at UW no matter what. Ed Donnatel would have succeeded as DC with oetersen as head coach.

Kwat will disappoint with sark as HC. All of his position coaches will suffer too.
    This is my thought as well. When you run a high octane offense you kinda need to run a high risk defense. Either get your opponent off the field fast or give up a the big play because the chances are your offense will put you right back out there. Kwat will allow 10-12 play drives and hold the opponent to a FG. Sark's offense will either score quickly or go three and out as fast as he can and put K's defense back out on the field. Lather, rinse, repeat. Just like Sarks time at UW this will lead to some lopsided scores going both ways. When everything works they will look like world beaters, when the offense isn't clicking they'll get beat by 30. They might give Oklahoma a great game one week and then get unexpectedly destroyed by TCU or Texas Tech the next. I've got my popcorn ready.
  • QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,279 Swaye's Wigwam
    If sark still runs a team anything like UW/USC sark, the coordinators won’t save him.

The gamble is that sober/Saban Sark has actually changed. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited August 2021

If sark still runs a team anything like UW/USC sark, the coordinators won’t save him.

The gamble is that sober/Saban Sark has actually changed. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

I don’t think he has, but I’m not as gung ho about it as I used to. Part of me thinks he’s a good coach and not partying all week before games probably helps a coach actually coach better.