Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

"Around-the-block" Coordinator Hires...lol

Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
edited August 2021 in Hardcore Husky Board
From Stew Mandel's latest mailbag column:

I was wondering which team in each conference did you have the least confidence in predicting where they end up? — Clayton R., Austin, TX

Pac-12: Washington. It’s entirely possible I am undervaluing the Huskies at 8-4 (with a loss at Michigan, who I have going 6-6). Per our Washington writer, QB Dylan Morris has looked great in camp. The defense is undeniably talented. Perhaps I have the wrong team winning the North. But we only saw them play four games last year; their breakout star, DE Zion Tupola-Fetui, ruptured his Achilles in the spring, and I’ve been underwhelmed by Jimmy Lake’s around-the-block coordinator hires, OC John Donovan and DC Bob Gregory. Prove me wrong, Washington.

https://theathletic.com/2788388/2021/08/25/mandels-mailbag-whats-the-likelihood-of-the-big-ten-acc-and-pac-12-going-to-an-8-game-conference-schedule/

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,251 Founders Club

Coordinators are on the head coach. The better the head man the better the coordinator.

Justin Wilcocks was not better than Nick Holt because Sark was still the coach

Quite honestly I have no idea if Jimmy has a thin rolodex or no one wants to work for him or if he thought Donavon and Gregory were the guys. In just over a week we begin to find out. If UW wins coaches will be calling Jimmy and his rolodex will fatten

I don't buy the coach speak from the guy who took more money to go to Texas as the damning indictment that many here do. As always I could be wrong. But probably not

Option C: Jimmy Lake will be Larry Coker
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,355 Founders Club
    I'll take a 1-1 record in the national championship game
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,298 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2021

Coordinators are on the head coach. The better the head man the better the coordinator.

Quite honestly I have no idea if Jimmy has a thin rolodex or no one wants to work for him or if he thought Donavon and Gregory were the guys. In just over a week we begin to find out. If UW wins coaches will be calling Jimmy and his rolodex will fatten

I don't buy the coach speak from the guy who took more money to go to Texas as the damning indictment that many here do. As always I could be wrong. But probably not

Your last point on Kwat is spot on.

He never seemed to have the charisma or desire to be a head coach.

It's also totally understandable for him to want to prove his worth and make a name for himself as the DC of a bigtime program like Texas

It's also totally understandable for him to want to get out of Jimmy's shadow. The co-dc thing was a way to keep them both around for a little bit until something like this played out.

The co-dc thing also lead to 8-5, getting bullied by Stanford, and ultimately I'm ready to see what the defense looks like this year without Kwat.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,251 Founders Club

You know the general point I'm making. Obi-wan HHusky has taught you well

Petersen at Boise >>>>>>> Coker

Petersen at UW not so much

That's really not nice you know

Gloves could come off over a comment like that
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,314 Swaye's Wigwam
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 19,855 Founders Club

That's really not nice you know

Gloves could come off over a comment like that
    My first thought: those are fighting words.

So far DJ lives to fight another day.

edited August 2021
    Arizona hung 50 on him

So did Oregon in a 7-6 campaign with a loss to coog

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Arizona hung 50 on him

So did Oregon in a 7-6 campaign with a loss to coog

Yep, he wasn't perfect.

He was a huge upgrade though.

Biggest reason 7 win Sark had a team win 9.

That wasn't happening with Holt.
  • trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042

The better the coordinator hires, the better the head coach will appear to be (W-L’s).

Remember, coordinators are usually sacrificed before the Big Guy is canned. See Nick Holt.

IMHO
    chuck said:

I think the overarching point is correct. It always comes back to the head coach.

You can tell good assistants from really bad ones in most cases though. Wilcox is a good defensive coach. It wasn't hard to see the immediate improvement over Holt.

My guess is that Petersen would have had similarly good defenses at UW with Wilcox as DC as he had with Kawasaki. There's a hell of a lot more to it than scheme. The HC is responsible for the culture, work ethic and all that other gay stuff but he's also ultimately responsible for the personnel. Petersen was a good roster builder. Sark was not.

I expect Texas and Sark to still give up 50 to Oklahoma even with Kwat even with Herman players

Sounds like I agree with you