Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Ave

Comments

• Options
    MontlakeBridgeTrollMontlakeBridgeTroll Member Posts: 920
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

For members of a degenerate website, a lot of you are true blue suburban squares.

1980's Seattle was actually scarier than 2021 Seattle. Seattle has become so gentrified it's ridiculous.

I don't think people were saying it is more scary now, but that it is more run down now, and it is more run down now in the public spaces. Sure there might be some newer buildings now in SLU and other places but there are way more people living on the streets now than there were in the 80s, and a lot more super crazy people living on the streets.

In the 80s it was a few homeless runaways and a couple of down on their luck bikers trying to beg for a few bucks to get their transmission fixed so they could drive to Alaska and score a fishing job for the season.

It is true though that the 80s could be a bit scary. One of those begging biker types threatened to kick my ass outside of Safeway for calling him a bum. And I hadn't even called him a bum. I just told him I didn't have any spare change because I had given my last spare change away to a bum a couple of blocks away.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,518
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

80s-90s Ave:

Off the Wall
    Second Time Around
    Tower Records
    Arnolds
    Space Port

Always lots of print shops, poster shops.

Big 5 I don't know if it's there still but old timers tell me it was a Nordstrom at one poont.

I loved going into Off the Wall
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,192

For members of a degenerate website, a lot of you are true blue suburban squares.

"Seattle sucks, it's just depressing." You probably think Anthony's Home Port is how all restaurants shoule be.

Most of you don't know shit about Seattle, I can tell.

The waterfront, downtown, capitol hill, U-district has always been full of homeless people.

1980's Seattle was actually scarier than 2021 Seattle. Seattle has become so gentrified it's ridiculous.

You guys have no basis of comparison. And are mostly lame.

Now you're talking the CD, not The Ave.

Colors, colors....
  • Options
    sinceredawgsinceredawg Member Posts: 786
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    and picking up unshaved chicks at gargoyles
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,245
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I lived in a 4th floor walk up on 4th and Vine downtown in the early 80s

Not scary at all

And a Shakeys on the waterfront

Met my wife at Sydney's a club on 2nd Ave
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,088
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

The only thing getting assaulted on the Ave in the early 90's was any uterus that was somewhat willing to let me in.

Knowing the real @swaye pretty well, I have such a hard time visualizing the guy having gone to school in Seattle. It just don't make no sense.
    I mean it was a little libby 30 years ago, but you know it was a totally different kind of libby. Seattle 30 years ago is completely unrecognizable from today. Back then it was a cool place. Now it's a complete and utter shithole.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,562
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I used to go to the Ave to score drugs and a copy of the weekly Helix - one of the better underground newspapers. That will give you an idea of OLD

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,245
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

"Seattle sucks, it's just depressing." You probably think Anthony's Home Port is how all restaurants shoule be.

The waterfront, downtown, capitol hill, U-district has always been full of homeless people.

"Edgy" Seattle is overrated.

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

The only thing getting assaulted on the Ave in the early 90's was any uterus that was somewhat willing to let me in.

Uterus!? Jesus Christ, man, I think you're doing it wrong!
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,149
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

80s-90s Ave:

Off the Wall
    Second Time Around
    Tower Records
    Arnolds
    Space Port

Always lots of print shops, poster shops.

Big 5 I don't know if it's there still but old timers tell me it was a Nordstrom at one poont.

I loved going into Off the Wall
    It was one of the few places one could get a band tshirt. Door said 18 and over but started going late middle school years. There was a bus stop right in front and it had a big opening so people would squeeze in on rainy days.

2nd Time around was great because of the posters and cheap cd's and records. Near the end of the posters is where they had all the nude posters and a stack of old noody magazines I'd thumb through. Guy behind the counter never said a word.

Arnolds closed before my Ave ventures but my older brother has stories. Sir Mix A Lot has talked about it in interviews, and I believe the line in one of his SWASS songs is about messing with kids at Arnolds on the Ave, driving volvos or volkswagens.

• Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,997
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Not scary at all

Pics?
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,611
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

Not scary at all

Shakey's on the waterfront is where my little league teams would hang out after a big game. Lots of shaved ice in the drinks, substantial matte finished plastic cups.

• Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,149
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Crack cocaine and LA gangs moving in definitely made things interesting, especially in the CD and Souf End. Knew people who were car jacked. Know a couple kids, north end at that, who are serving time. In 1989 kid I got into a fight with in the 4th grade in National Geographic the following year, was running drugs for a gang in the CD/Downtown. He was 9, maybe 10. There he is, crying as a police officer is talking to him. Multiple classmates in elementary, middle and high school represented gangs. Died down a lot though after freshman year after a lot of gang members were locked up, and gentrification started taking hold in the CD. RIP Collins Gold Exchange.

There were homeless people along the freeway's then too, but they didn't have tents or amass large amounts of trash. They were more hobo, riding rails. I remember under I-5 at Ravenna Blvd people sleeping up under the road, and a few RVs. Soup kitchens in the U District and other places in town have always been the draw. Mennonite church (in the old theater) in Lake City. Blessed Sacrament and a few others in the UDistrict. Heroin was probably a thing, but it seemed mostly alcoholism was biggest issue. Do they even sell Thunderbird or Boones anymore? @Swaye should know.

Watch shows / documentaries like Street Wise was a look at Seattle during the early 80's. Fact is America and society in general was much more open to letting kids run free, and taking less offense or sensationalizing some of that stuff. Now that shit would be front page news.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,245
    Swaye's Wigwam

Not scary at all

Shakey's on the waterfront is where my little league teams would hang out after a big game. Lots of shaved ice in the drinks, substantial matte finished plastic cups.

Hell I probably saw you there
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,691
    Founders Club
    Seattle/WA State DOT should've left The Jungle under I-5 as it was. I think half the shit you see now was around 10 years ago but hidden under the freeway.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,611

Not scary at all

Close to KIRO 7 and the old union halls. A protected enclave. The closer to the waterfront the worse it got. I'm talking ALL the way from the water up through the Pike Pine corridor. Desolate, predatory.

Pioneer square and open air drug market, the smell of booze, cigarrette smoke, and soiled garments permeating every enclosed space.

South Lake Union, a bunch of disused wearhouses. Ballard, a mostly vacant mecca to boredom.

I guess you could say the Ave. compared favorably at one point.
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Knowing the real @swaye pretty well, I have such a hard time visualizing the guy having gone to school in Seattle. It just don't make no sense.
    Back then it was a cool place. Now it's a complete and utter shithole.

Unfortunately this appears to be too long to be my new signature.
    so, new bored motto?

...actually, no - not that new.
  • Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If you didn’t get asked to buy weed on the Ave in the 80s you didn’t go to the Ave. teriyaki and weed. Can’t remember the name of the main teriyaki place. But when you walked in they would ask chicken spesher? As for record stores in the 80s I was all about Cellophane Square. Tatsumi down by the Weinerschnitzel had great karaoke. Big Time Brewery was one of my favorite places. And in the early 90s there was a place that had a thing called the Rasta Punch. It was right on the corner $4. 4 kinds of rum or some shit. Years later Tom Leykis would have listener parties there. Good times.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Crack cocaine and LA gangs moving in definitely made things interesting, especially in the CD and Souf End. Knew people who were car jacked. Know a couple kids, north end at that, who are serving time. In 1989 kid I got into a fight with in the 4th grade in National Geographic the following year, was running drugs for a gang in the CD/Downtown. He was 9, maybe 10. There he is, crying as a police officer is talking to him. Multiple classmates in elementary, middle and high school represented gangs. Died down a lot though after freshman year after a lot of gang members were locked up, and gentrification started taking hold in the CD. RIP Collins Gold Exchange.

There were homeless people along the freeway's then too, but they didn't have tents or amass large amounts of trash. They were more hobo, riding rails. I remember under I-5 at Ravenna Blvd people sleeping up under the road, and a few RVs. Soup kitchens in the U District and other places in town have always been the draw. Mennonite church (in the old theater) in Lake City. Blessed Sacrament and a few others in the UDistrict. Heroin was probably a thing, but it seemed mostly alcoholism was biggest issue. Do they even sell Thunderbird or Boones anymore? @Swaye should know.

Watch shows / documentaries like Street Wise was a look at Seattle during the early 80's. Fact is America and society in general was much more open to letting kids run free, and taking less offense or sensationalizing some of that stuff. Now that shit would be front page news.
    Since we're talking drug issues, it's important to point out that the last decade (and especially the last 5 years) have seen a massive spike in the drug problem. It's really nationwide, but especially amongst the homeless in major cities like Seattle. King County has a 0.3% homelessness rate but 11.3% of drug related overdose deaths are among those "unstably housed". Probably safe to correlate increased OD's to increased usage. There's a reason @PostGameOrangeSlices is getting his window smashed in.

This is OD deaths in the last decade in King County. Fenty and Meth are getting out of control.

• Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,198
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Real Change?

Thank you Sir