Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Ave

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,926 Swaye's Wigwam
    Sounds like the same old Ave but amplified by empty storefronts and closed restaurants. I haven't been there in eons but it still bums me out. I shouldn't be surprised I guess. The point made above about the death of the small retail store pretty much sums it up.

I enjoyed all that 12 block stroll had to offer, living one year on 42nd and two more on 52nd...lots of good, cheap food, couple of record stores, couple of places to get a beer and even see a live band, and of course an easy place to score a razor thin slice of green bud for $10. I never minded the shenanigans and homeless.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,926 Swaye's Wigwam

The only thing that could draw me to visit The Ave would be getting a gyro or shawarma from Aladdin Falafel, if it's still there. I think I ate dinner at that place twice a week for a few years during school.

I lived on Poco Loco burritos and Kiku Tempura House. There was another, Korean run, burrito joint that served a big, wet burrito that I'd hit up when Poco Loco was busy or I just wanted to sit down. One of the Indian places, Tandor I believe, had a small buffet on weekends for about $5 that we'd frequent too. Nothing like four hungover dudes loaded up with greasy meat, curry, and lentils watching football on a dreary fall sunday.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,495 Founders Club
    Is the University Bookstore still brick and mortar or on line?
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,161

Is the University Bookstore still brick and mortar or on line?

Still there.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,495 Founders Club
    When I was at UW the Ave was a dirt road but in more recent times when I had bidness in the area it seemed like about 2 blocks were seedy as shit. South of 45th was vibrant and cool still
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,328 Swaye's Wigwam
    The Ave is like recruiting, it has its ups and downs. Covid and no kids on campus or nearby apartments probably had a big impact as others have noted. When they made the changes to the street, and when they had the little police base things cleaned up substantially for a while.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,717

when i was at uw a guy got beat to death with a skateboard

I saw a homeless guy beaten with skateboards by about 10 skatepunks.
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,792

Seems to me that UW needs the Ave to be a great destination, and it easily could be. You can clean up any area - see NYC. The Ave could offer its great diversity of food and weird shops and bars (Aladdin's was my favorite also) Invest in some landscaping. Invest in a patrol of cool cops who don't bust for drunkenness but do bust for loitering or graffitti or any kind of intimidation. I may be mistaken, but it feels like campus is now the UVillage? Who the fuck wants to walk back up that hill after getting soaked on beer. You'll never make it back. Can't have the heart of off-campus life be a mall. But the Ave could actually be nice with some investment.

The other area with potential - tho it's a little further from where people live tho - is all that space down along the water below UWMC and around what used to be the wooden boat center. I've not been back there but for a couple of times at Agua Verde before I left town 20 years ago.

Lol no UW students hang out at U Village except for the RAM on trivia nights
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,969 Founders Club
    NEsnake12 said:

Seems to me that UW needs the Ave to be a great destination, and it easily could be. You can clean up any area - see NYC. The Ave could offer its great diversity of food and weird shops and bars (Aladdin's was my favorite also) Invest in some landscaping. Invest in a patrol of cool cops who don't bust for drunkenness but do bust for loitering or graffitti or any kind of intimidation. I may be mistaken, but it feels like campus is now the UVillage? Who the fuck wants to walk back up that hill after getting soaked on beer. You'll never make it back. Can't have the heart of off-campus life be a mall. But the Ave could actually be nice with some investment.

The other area with potential - tho it's a little further from where people live tho - is all that space down along the water below UWMC and around what used to be the wooden boat center. I've not been back there but for a couple of times at Agua Verde before I left town 20 years ago.

Lol no UW students hang out at U Village except for the RAM on trivia nights
    Where you been Pod? The Ram sold the couch.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    edited August 2021
    The jack in the box on the ave was the place where I went to by drugs lol
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam
    Big Time, Shultzy's,
    Sancho said:

When I was there 2011-2013 besides the Ave rats you'd hear alot about people getting rolled at night in red sqare or on Greek row for what ever they had.
    Seems logical for some less than savory dudes to go get some easy cash from the college kids. It sucks but that's the world we live in.

North Ave could get rough my last pub crawl ended the night at what was it...pizza ragzzi? Dunno its bok bok now... anyways two guys start getting into it and one pulls a gun as the other one books and he unloads half a clip at his ass . Luckly he's a terrible shot evey begins to scramble.. My buddy is trying to GTFO befoe the cops show up and my drunk ass was like " hold up we gotta wait for the pizza ". Can't buy memories like that i tell ya.

Rolled in Red Square? Wtf? How?

Uggh Greek row too? You guys weigh like 140 or something?
  • MontlakeBridgeTrollMontlakeBridgeTroll Member Posts: 925
    The Ave was fine in the 80s. Lots of cool places used to be there. It has gone to shit like a lot of Seattle.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,566 Standard Supporter
    Welcome to the State of Washington 2021

Put the cuffs on the police, give free shit to bums and allow lawlessness to flourish, that’s what every major city in the state is morphing into.

The Ave just had a head start.
  • SanchoSancho Member Posts: 251
    haie said:

Big Time, Shultzy's,

Sancho said:

When I was there 2011-2013 besides the Ave rats you'd hear alot about people getting rolled at night in red sqare or on Greek row for what ever they had.
    Seems logical for some less than savory dudes to go get some easy cash from the college kids. It sucks but that's the world we live in.

North Ave could get rough my last pub crawl ended the night at what was it...pizza ragzzi? Dunno its bok bok now... anyways two guys start getting into it and one pulls a gun as the other one books and he unloads half a clip at his ass . Luckly he's a terrible shot evey begins to scramble.. My buddy is trying to GTFO befoe the cops show up and my drunk ass was like " hold up we gotta wait for the pizza ". Can't buy memories like that i tell ya.

Rolled in Red Square? Wtf? How?

Uggh Greek row too? You guys weigh like 140 or something?
    Actually the kid I talked too was pretty skinny couldn't of been more than 160. I'm not talking like strong armed but dudes rolling up with guns ans pistol wipping dudes. Don't matter how big you are with a gun in your face. I got the impression the people pulling theses off wernt local they headed to campus late looking for easy pickings.

Personally old habits die hard and while I grew up in a small town I was old enough to be aware of walking down poorly lit unpopulated spots late