Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Ave

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,410 Founders Club
    One time a girl named Rajvir and I were waiting in the Jack in the Box drive-thru and some guy came up to my window wanting to sell me drugs. I was the last person he should have been asking. I also took a first date to the Wing Dome, and years later when I was writing The Dawgs of War, Derrell Daniels was telling me stories of he and Marques Tui going to Wing Dome all the time. Most of those stories didn't get into the book, nothing earth-shattering but interesting.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,410 Founders Club

The Ave was fine in the 80s. Lots of cool places used to be there. It has gone to shit like a lot of Seattle.

I started hanging out there in 1989, just as grunge was beginning to get attention. Even when it was sketchy, it was a good place and era to hang out.
  • StLouisDawgStLouisDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 534 Founders Club

I would say the 45th intersection is a complete wreck compared to what it used to be.

But overall, things have gotten very ritzy on the south side of the Ave with very expensive new residence halls, 5 times better than Hagget, McMahon, and whatever those ones by Eastlake bridge were.

I actually think it was shittier in the early '90s when it was a destination hangout spot for high schoolers looking for exoticism.

There used to be a place that sold bongs and dildos and band posters when all of those were considered risque.

Tower records, cellophane square, also the old cellophane square. Magus books.

If you were a cool or smart person, like me, the ave was great. Also, believe it or not there were always hot sophisticated chicks hanging out certain locales.

UW and hot chicks is mutually exclusive, unless you have yellow fever like Stalin.

Sophisticated sure, but Norwegian ugly all day long.

As for the Ave, does anyone know the actual crimes stats? Have a feeling the Ave is the same and all of us are just old, fat and soft so it looks way more scary.
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,361
    Old.....soft....scared...? Can confirm
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,858
    edited August 2021
    Is the Orange King still there?

I remember going to the Ave when my brother started school in the late 80s. There was a ton of old vinyl shops and places that sold old recording equipment, etc.
    I also remember them filming "Single" and bumping into Kevin Bacon. I have zero degrees with Kevin.

Our band also recorded at a crappy studio on the Ave. It was fun.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    Seattle is just a shit hole in general now. Really no reason to go down there at this point.
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    When ever I think of the Ave I think of the Blue Scholars song. But I’m not sure if it has gotten worse, it’s always been bummy. But, considering I live in SF and I compare everything to that… wait that’s a horrible comparison I’m sure it’s gotten way worse, but live a fifteen minute walk from the tenderloin, do that and then pop off!!!
  • no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 761
    There's always UVillage which is soulless but typically bumless.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,328 Swaye's Wigwam
    80s-90s Ave:

Off the Wall
    Second Time Around
    Tower Records
    Arnolds
    Space Port

Always lots of print shops, poster shops.

Big 5 I don't know if it's there still but old timers tell me it was a Nordstrom at one poont.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    The graffiti in general between I5 and the Ave is simply depressing

It’s a fucking shit show

I rarely go down there but last time I drive through the area it was flat out embarrassing
  • MontlakeBridgeTrollMontlakeBridgeTroll Member Posts: 925
    edited August 2021
    I saw The Allies perform their famous 80s hit "I'm in love with Emma Peel" at a club on the Ave around 1984. Good times. Can't remember the name of the club but it was below street level, maybe between 43rd and 47th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul1qjuOSu2g

I think they either won an MTV basement tape award for that song or got 2nd place.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,495 Founders Club

I saw The Allies perform their famous 80s hit "I'm in love with Emma Peel" at a club on the Ave around 1984. Good times. Can't remember the name of the club but it was below street level, maybe between 43rd and 47th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul1qjuOSu2g

I think they either won an MTV basement tape award for that song or got 2nd place.

Now thats a name I haven't heard in a long time

I saw the Allies a few times
  • MontlakeBridgeTrollMontlakeBridgeTroll Member Posts: 925
    edited August 2021

80s-90s Ave:

Off the Wall
    Second Time Around
    Tower Records
    Arnolds
    Space Port

Damn Tower Records on the Ave is where I got my first New Order album. That place was great. Also got turned onto Quicksand there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGPzJs1WK88

Quicksand was never very popular but had a great sound for the 80s.
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,990
    haie said:

Big Time, Shultzy's,

Sancho said:

When I was there 2011-2013 besides the Ave rats you'd hear alot about people getting rolled at night in red sqare or on Greek row for what ever they had.
    Seems logical for some less than savory dudes to go get some easy cash from the college kids. It sucks but that's the world we live in.

North Ave could get rough my last pub crawl ended the night at what was it...pizza ragzzi? Dunno its bok bok now... anyways two guys start getting into it and one pulls a gun as the other one books and he unloads half a clip at his ass . Luckly he's a terrible shot evey begins to scramble.. My buddy is trying to GTFO befoe the cops show up and my drunk ass was like " hold up we gotta wait for the pizza ". Can't buy memories like that i tell ya.

Rolled in Red Square? Wtf? How?

Uggh Greek row too? You guys weigh like 140 or something?
    JFC stop trying so hard.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,926 Swaye's Wigwam

For members of a degenerate website, a lot of you are true blue suburban squares.

"Seattle sucks, it's just depressing." You probably think Anthony's Home Port is how all restaurants shoule be.

Most of you don't know shit about Seattle, I can tell.

The waterfront, downtown, capitol hill, U-district has always been full of homeless people.

1980's Seattle was actually scarier than 2021 Seattle. Seattle has become so gentrified it's ridiculous.

You guys have no basis of comparison. And are mostly lame.

Your best effort by a mile.