Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

OK Athletics Directors

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    No
    Somewhere along the line, success was considered a sure thing and progress would always be linear.

It’s why I felt the, “It’s year 6” stuff was bullshit. If Pete had the heart, there was no reason he couldn’t reach new heights in future years. Not saying he would, but it was one shitty season. It wasn’t multiple shitty seasons.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,976 Founders Club
    No

My reputation was assaulted here and that cannot stand

It really isn't hindsight for me. Petersen pissed me off when he punted on 4th and 1 on the 40 against Oregon. Sure the three year run was nice if not quite as filling as we hoped but 2019 was a disaster. If people want to get on me about not being the fire the coach guy you have always loved then you have to answer why you didn't want Petersen fired with me.

I've said or a year now that the best thing about Jimmy is that he isn't Petersen. Unknown better than known

And easier to fire if or when he does fail

The talking points are fine but assistants and recruiting and the opinions about them are just that - opinions. We can always do better and get better guys. Its really inexact out west.

We are about to get some hard evidence. Play ball

I hope. Delta Dawn

I'm happy to be an ungrateful and disobedient minion on any number of issues. But I stand with Race on this one. Jimmy gets fired based on Wins and Losses, not sizzle and off-season natties.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,512 Founders Club
    Yes

Somewhere along the line, success was considered a sure thing and progress would always be linear.

It’s why I felt the, “It’s year 6” stuff was bullshit. If Pete had the heart, there was no reason he couldn’t reach new heights in future years. Not saying he would, but it was one shitty season. It wasn’t multiple shitty seasons.

Most normal but great coaches ebb and flow a bit. That's behind the I would have fired Don James. Builds the program and wins the Rose Bowl in year three. Over the next 7 years two more Rose Bowls and an Orange Bowl and natty, allegedly

85, 86, 87. and 88 especially blew chunks. 89 was disappointing but we could see it and it ended with a bowl win over Florida and the SEC SEC SEC

I don't care. I was done with Petersen and how a fan feels about a coach matters

And I really seriously would have fired James in 88
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,938 Swaye's Wigwam
    I abstain. I can't remove hindsight from my decision process.

I didn't and don't see 2019 as a disaster. It was a shitty season that pointed at some needed changes. I just thought, and think, that he needed to make them.

He was unwilling, so he quit, therefore he should have been fired. Thing is, though, that I didn't know he was unwilling until he announced it.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam
    No
    Anyone voting yes is doing it for message board street cred

Which is fine, just admit it
  • Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,308
    No
    Pete is a great program builder. His biggest weaknesses were his offensive coaching and his loyalty to his friends on the staff. If he was willing to turn over his offense to someone from outside his system, and let go the dead weight on staff we would have been in a great position.

And I think he knew that's what he would have to do, and he didn't have it in him to make those hard decisions, so he quit. So its hard to say, but give me a new OC and lets see what happens.
    Yes
    Petersen didn't really have a bad year at Boise until his last when he went 8-4 and left for UW
    No

Lotta "we knew Pete was burned out" edge lords here.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    No

Tequilla said:

No, for 2 reasons:

1) He's still won the Pac .333% of the time, so meeting Don James metric.

2) The replacement is more likely to be a downgrade.

See what 2020 looks like and reassess.

Not to mention 3 years prior were 3 NY6 games including trip to CFP

Your point 2 is spot on
    Lost all of them. Downward trajectory his final two seasons. Do you wait until the ship has taken on so much water that it takes 5 years to bail out? Of course, we know that Jenn would never have fired Petersen unless he had 2-3 years of .500 or worse. They're all too chummy in the AD.
    Let's be honest on his last 2 seasons here:

2018: Won the P12 and lost in the Rose Bowl

2019: 7-5

Not sitting here and saying that losing all of the NY6/CFP games is a great thing ... but it's not a fireable offense

By this logic Don James would have been fired by you multiple times and in particular somewhere between 1986 and 1988
    No

Tequilla said:

No, for 2 reasons:

1) He's still won the Pac .333% of the time, so meeting Don James metric.

2) The replacement is more likely to be a downgrade.

See what 2020 looks like and reassess.

Not to mention 3 years prior were 3 NY6 games including trip to CFP

Your point 2 is spot on
    Lost all of them. Downward trajectory his final two seasons. Do you wait until the ship has taken on so much water that it takes 5 years to bail out? Of course, we know that Jenn would never have fired Petersen unless he had 2-3 years of .500 or worse. They're all too chummy in the AD.
    That's the argument Teq uses to fire Jimmy after 4 games

Find a single post where I've said that Jimmy should be fired after 4 games

What I've said is the trajectory isn't good and he's making mistakes that are not indicative of a successful coach over the long term

You can't fire someone until they've earned it ... and in fairness, Jimmy hasn't earned a firing at this point
    No

Most normal but great coaches ebb and flow a bit. That's behind the I would have fired Don James. Builds the program and wins the Rose Bowl in year three. Over the next 7 years two more Rose Bowls and an Orange Bowl and natty, allegedly

85, 86, 87. and 88 especially blew chunks. 89 was disappointing but we could see it and it ended with a bowl win over Florida and the SEC SEC SEC

I don't care. I was done with Petersen and how a fan feels about a coach matters

Which honestly in my opinion disqualifies you acting like you know better than others on the topic of when it is time to fire a coach

If the sole metric on firing DJ in 88 was on the record then it was justified ...

But we all know in hindsight that there were things going on within the program that was shifting how they were looking at things ... it paved the way for the best stretch in the history of the program

Not delivering the desired results is one thing ...

Not having a clue as to why you aren't delivering the results and what needs to change for you to succeed is another ...

DJ knew what he needed to do to change, implemented it, and reaped the rewards ...

Or as someone likes to say ... WINNERS WIN
    No

Lotta "we knew Pete was burned out" edge lords here.
    In fairness, I'm pretty sure we had this exact conversation at the Duchess in the Fall of 2019
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    No
    No chance I would have fired him. For all the "he was clearly burned out" crew he still cared enough to pull a top 10 recruiting class in Dec 2019. You can fire a mediocre coach like Sark who just pulled a top 10 class. You don't do it for a quality coach who has taken you to the playoff and is only a year removed from winning the conference.

Maybe the burn out would have evidenced itself in the Dec 2020 class. Even so it still would have almost certainly been better than what we ended up with.
    No

I'm stepping way out of my lane here since the 80's were before my time. But I wouldn't have fired James in '88. 85- 88 were frustrating no doubt, but most of those losses we're pretty damn close in a TUFF Pac-10.

Again, whether it's Pete or James, IRON law is the replacement is a downgrade. Probably true with Jimmy, but we have to see a full 12 game season and not base it off the sizzle and TBSing shit.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,684 Founders Club
    edited August 2021
    No
    No, I didn't fire him but I also didn't let him hire a previous grad assistant turned pro coach with no OC experience the year before either... I told then him that this is an important hire that will either help us take the next step, or it will be a move backward which we can not afford... consequently I upped the budget for asst coaches with the qualifier that we get an OC that is a clear upgrade and a proven winner, which in my virtual reality is ultimately who we hired.
    Yes
    Tequilla said:

Which honestly in my opinion disqualifies you acting like you know better than others on the topic of when it is time to fire a coach

I
    The people have spoken

• AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter
    No
    One bad season is not a reason to fire someone after 3 straight ny6 appearances.

They were still getting a lot of the talent they prioritized from what I could tell in the off season natty sweepstakes.

Jimmy is treating off season as if he is burned out which is concerning. I still expect a big season with this current roster though I don’t believe like some that it will fix the recruiting problems.

And uw ain’t firing jimmy for years, some of us just like to predict things.
    Yes

One bad season is not a reason to fire someone after 3 straight ny6 appearances.

They were still getting a lot of the talent they prioritized from what I could tell in the off season natty sweepstakes.

Jimmy is treating off season as if he is burned out which is concerning. I still expect a big season with this current roster though I don’t believe like some that it will fix the recruiting problems.

And uw ain’t firing jimmy for years, some of us just like to predict things.

He doesn't have that kind of cred

And the only good thing about covid is UW will soon be desperate for money 💰

They may have to win for a change

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,666 Standard Supporter
    Yes
    I soured on Pete in his first couple of years, jumped on the bandwagon 3rd and partly in the 4th year. 18 pissed me off on big games and I had had it, so when he said he gave up it more or less correlated to my second angry phase with him.

I am an idiot and will watch the games, over drink and all the bad things, and want a new coach after next year (more than likely) and be disappointed when they rehire Willingham. I