Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The all wasted talent team

DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Now that we have a real coach again, and inspired by DJ's ( I call him that) Rayford article, i'm thinking back to all the potential studs wasted over the past 15 years by the UW program. These are guys that had the tools, or hype and then disappeared into the night sky like the deep shade of purple.

QB: Isaiah Stanback - almost salvaged a pro career as a kick returner, arguably the most physically gifted UW has seen.

RB: Kenny James - I really thought this guy was going to be legit after his sick spin move 60 yard sprint to the house in Norman.

FB: Johnny Kirton - I don't know how this dude never settled in to a role, either here or te or dl.

WR:Paul Arnold - Could put him at RB, i know a lot of his issues were injury related, but he was a lock for the nfl, then poof.

WR: Eddie Jones? - The big tall fuck 5 star #1JC receiver guy who ended up transferring to West Virginia. Why?

TE: Jon Lyons? - another 5 star all everything JC guy who didn't do shit but had all the tools.

OL: Joe Toledo - played TE until his senior year, didn't do shit, drafted in the 4th round, go figure.

OL: James Atoe - Too soon?

OL: Colin Porter - Fuck you Sark.

I'm too lazy to the defense, but you get the point. Discuss.

Comments

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    Swaye's Wigwam

Even though he made the NFL, I would put Louis Rankin at RB. He was a game breaker. If we had a good RB coach like Joel Thomas, maybe he would not have danced around so much. I think he could have been a great RB with proper coaching.

Totally forgot about Rankin. Throw in Marcel Reece as well. Both made the Raiders who love raw talent over production. Come to think of it most huskies end up on the raiders.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Even though he made the NFL, I would put Louis Rankin at RB. He was a game breaker. If we had a good RB coach like Joel Thomas, maybe he would not have danced around so much. I think he could have been a great RB with proper coaching.

Totally forgot about Rankin. Throw in Marcel Reece as well. Both made the Raiders who love raw talent over production. Come to think of it most huskies end up on the raiders.
    Most Huskies end up Raiders? I can think of about 5.
  • Options
    fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,210
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    If its the all wasted team shouldn't ASJ be on it ... ? He got pretty wasted ...

What about Kirton...?

Too soon?
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Doogles said:

Marcel Reece has def not disappeared - good list tho

What ever happened to speedster Marlon Wood?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Obligatory

Cyler Miles
    Deauntea Stringfellow
    John Timu
    Jessie Callier
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,572
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You could go 2 or 3 deep with defensive players. Depressing to think about. I like to call it the all-bullet team in memory of Ty.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Don't forget Craig Chambers.

Good call. He's the poster boy of the team.

• Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2014
    My bad - Wood was part of the suddenly seniored crowd, actually signed with Tampa Bay

Those were some dark days, I don't remember much
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Greyson Gunheim and Cesar Rayford are two more notable ones.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Pretty sure Rayford inspired the poast so I didn't think he had to be added.

Gunheim I have mixed feelings about. I would say he actually outperformed his recruitment by a pretty good bit. He probably did have some untapped talent, but who doesn't?

• Options
    SweatpantsGeneralSweatpantsGeneral Member Posts: 2,053
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    dnc said:

Gunheim I have mixed feelings about. I would say he actually outperformed his recruitment by a pretty good bit. He probably did have some untapped talent, but who doesn't?

Me. I'm incredibly flatlined on my talent tappage. I've achieved Maslow Fucktard status.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Gunheim was never evaluated. He had offers from Nebraska, Oregon, and UCLA. He was tall and fast. 6'5" 255 with a 4.6. I think he is one of the most talented players we have had the past 10 years.

http://jac.scout.com/2/739545.html

• Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Gunheim was a damn good player but would have been recognized as great if he played on a good team or good defense. In the 2006 game against UCLA, he ran down a guy who had like a 80 yard punt return. A fucking DL running down a return guy. Gunheim would have been a beast under a real coach.
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Ossai. I like to bring up his name whenever. It's what I like to do.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    edited March 2014
    Sweetman, Hasty, and Rosborough.