Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Student loan forgiveness: Biden promise to forgive $10,000 in debt remains unfulfilled

13»

Comments

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    doogie said:

trublue said:

Sledog said:

If you borrow money you pay it back! I know that's a difficult concept for some.

There is some nuance to it. An 18 year old can’t get a job that pays enough to live independently, they can’t get a loan to start a business, so taking the loan and going to college seems like a pretty good option until you’re paying off debt well into your 40’s. Not to mention the price of attending college has skyrocketed.

I get your point, but don’t agree that it’s as simple as that. I doubt many of the older folks here had to deal with this kind of bullshit. The banking institutions and universities engaged in some unethical practices.

I think some foregiveness is warranted. It’s not really fair to saddle a young adult into debt, something that was basically pushed onto them in many ways, and something that isn’t common knowledge on how to deal with. What the fair way to settle this is, I don’t know.
    “. . . pushed onto them”? Seriously.

When they come out of high school, they should have a clue about finances and the real world. They learn that from their parents and work experience. Apparently, the public education system doesn’t teach it. It didn’t in the old days, either.
    College was fairly cheap in the old days. These loans and financial aid were made and seemed like a game changer. Now everyone (not just the middle and upper class) could go to college. It did that for some. For others, it saddled them in debt.

Serious question, you’re well out of college age. Why do you care if the loans are partially or fully forgiven? What difference would it make in your life?
    You do realize that money for loan forgiveness comes from taxpayers right?

Justify taking money from someone disadvantaged who decided to work so someone that's privileged can go to college for free.

Right, and based on the fact that those weren't the original terms agreed to.

I agree that this shit is predatory. End government involvement, allow for bankruptcy, and watch as sjw degrees evaporate and college administration shrinks back to a manageable size.
    Used to. Now it just comes from the Fed.
    Which is a tax on the working class...
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,235
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited July 2021

doogie said:

trublue said:

Sledog said:

If you borrow money you pay it back! I know that's a difficult concept for some.

There is some nuance to it. An 18 year old can’t get a job that pays enough to live independently, they can’t get a loan to start a business, so taking the loan and going to college seems like a pretty good option until you’re paying off debt well into your 40’s. Not to mention the price of attending college has skyrocketed.

I get your point, but don’t agree that it’s as simple as that. I doubt many of the older folks here had to deal with this kind of bullshit. The banking institutions and universities engaged in some unethical practices.

I think some foregiveness is warranted. It’s not really fair to saddle a young adult into debt, something that was basically pushed onto them in many ways, and something that isn’t common knowledge on how to deal with. What the fair way to settle this is, I don’t know.

When they come out of high school, they should have a clue about finances and the real world. They learn that from their parents and work experience. Apparently, the public education system doesn’t teach it. It didn’t in the old days, either.
    College was fairly cheap in the old days. These loans and financial aid were made and seemed like a game changer. Now everyone (not just the middle and upper class) could go to college. It did that for some. For others, it saddled them in debt.

Serious question, you’re well out of college age. Why do you care if the loans are partially or fully forgiven? What difference would it make in your life?

Justify taking money from someone disadvantaged who decided to work so someone that's privileged can go to college for free.

I agree that this shit is predatory. End government involvement, allow for bankruptcy, and watch as sjw degrees evaporate and college administration shrinks back to a manageable size.
    And those on fixed incomes.

In general, the inflation the left is fanning will hurt most everyone.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

doogie said:

trublue said:

Sledog said:

And those on fixed incomes.

In general, the inflation the left is fanning will hurt most everyone.
    Won't hurt the rich that bad but I'm hearing that bootlicking of the super rich is in on the Left. @TheKobeStopper can confirm.