Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Student loan forgiveness: Biden promise to forgive $10,000 in debt remains unfulfilled

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,006
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Bob_C said:

Mixed feelings on student loan forgiveness. On one hand, loans should be repaid. Nobody made them take the student loan. On the other hand, academia has been a huge racket for awhile.

An 18 year old with no credit can’t get a $10,000 loan to open a business, but they will give the same 18 year old $100,000 to attend college.

The key question is why is it that student loans are the only loans of which you can't default via bankruptcy? Why?
    Joe knows why.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/02/joe-biden-student-loan-debt-2005-act-2020
    In December of 2019 the media still dared to criticize Joe
    That's a British newspaper
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yep but ABC News ran an article on his crime family

The media wanted anyone but Joe until they were told otherwise
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,766
    edited July 2021
    If you borrow money you pay it back! I know that's a difficult concept for some.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2021
    Sledog said:

If you borrow money you pay it back! I know that's a difficult concept for some.

There is some nuance to it. An 18 year old can’t get a job that pays enough to live independently, they can’t get a loan to start a business, so taking the loan and going to college seems like a pretty good option until you’re paying off debt well into your 40’s. Not to mention the price of attending college has skyrocketed.

I get your point, but don’t agree that it’s as simple as that. I doubt many of the older folks here had to deal with this kind of bullshit. The banking institutions and universities engaged in some unethical practices.

I think some foregiveness is warranted. It’s not really fair to saddle a young adult into debt, something that was basically pushed onto them in many ways, and something that isn’t common knowledge on how to deal with. What the fair way to settle this is, I don’t know.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,586
    edited July 2021

Sledog said:

There is some nuance to it. An 18 year old can’t get a job that pays enough to live independently, they can’t get a loan to start a business, so taking the loan and going to college seems like a pretty good option until you’re paying off debt well into your 40’s. Not to mention the price of attending college has skyrocketed.

I get your point, but don’t agree that it’s as simple as that. I doubt many of the older folks here had to deal with this kind of bullshit. The banking institutions and universities engaged in some unethical practices.

I think some foregiveness is warranted. It’s not really fair to saddle a young adult into debt, something that was basically pushed onto them in many ways, and something that isn’t common knowledge on how to deal with. What the fair way to settle this is, I don’t know.
    The issue is that now you have to have a college degree to get a shitty low level office job which in no way requires one.

Also making it dischargeable in bankruptcy pretty much ends gender studies and other bullshit. No ones gonna finance that.

Honestly I'd like to get the upcoming academies that the tech companies will put on going. Because once you can do those it's gonna be pretty compelling
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited July 2021
    Fair?

As an “older” poster, I would not have considered (for a second) borrowing the kind of money many kids have done to get the quality of education they are getting.

For certain majors and certain schools, I’d have to think long and hard about it.

For any type of liberal arts indoctrination, Fuck no!

I didn’t have parents catering to my whims or paying my way.

ROI?

• Options

Sledog said:

“. . . pushed onto them”? Seriously.

When they come out of high school, they should have a clue about finances and the real world. They learn that from their parents and work experience. Apparently, the public education system doesn’t teach it. It didn’t in the old days, either.
  • Options
    Sledog said:

Difficult concept to grasp for many.

Make poor decisions and expect others to pay for it . . .
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    trublue said:

Sledog said:

When they come out of high school, they should have a clue about finances and the real world. They learn that from their parents and work experience. Apparently, the public education system doesn’t teach it. It didn’t in the old days, either.
    College was fairly cheap in the old days. These loans and financial aid were made and seemed like a game changer. Now everyone (not just the middle and upper class) could go to college. It did that for some. For others, it saddled them in debt.

Serious question, you’re well out of college age. Why do you care if the loans are partially or fully forgiven? What difference would it make in your life?
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,766

Sledog said:

I don't see it that way. These kids have parents and advice galore. Most go to college to party and get some unemployable useless degree. It's unfortunate but It's still their choice and they were adults. Be a man or woman and keep your word! I was always taught a man's word is a bond and you're worthless without integrity. I normally do business on a handshake. When we had or business we had great relationships with our suppliers etc. Trust is what the world use to run on but it barely exists anymore.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

trublue said:

Sledog said:

College was fairly cheap in the old days. These loans and financial aid were made and seemed like a game changer. Now everyone (not just the middle and upper class) could go to college. It did that for some. For others, it saddled them in debt.

Serious question, you’re well out of college age. Why do you care if the loans are partially or fully forgiven? What difference would it make in your life?
    Don’t you think it through before taking out a loan? The amount? Risk vs. Reward?Necessity vs. Fantasy World?

Why do I care? What difference would it make in my life?

None, I guess . . . other than to reinforce the idea that the Government will bail people out no matter what for making stupid decisions and drive the country into bankruptcy faster than it’s already headed.

It’s called personal responsibility. I believe
    in a safety net for the helpless, not for the clueless.

In the real world, decisions (actions) have consequences.

I am hopeful that the following generations will have the same opportunity to succeed through hard work and sacrifice like I did.

“Free shit” doesn’t get people there.

Serious question, why don’t we just make everything free?

What the Government giveth, the Government can certainly take away.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,846

Sledog said:

I know. By paying the loan back.

• Options
    edited July 2021

trublue said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

The issue is that now you have to have a college degree to get a shitty low level office job which in no way requires one.

Also making it dischargeable in bankruptcy pretty much ends gender studies and other bullshit. No ones gonna finance that.

Honestly I'd like to get the upcoming academies that the tech companies will put on going. Because once you can do those it's gonna be pretty compelling
    You have to get a college degree to get a low level office job? Seriously?

Perhaps,

1. They need to up their standards and deliver a better, more meaningful education in the K-12 system. That starts with the people in the “profession”.

2. Allow kids to work prior to age 16.

3. Develop a work ethic.

Totally agree with your last paragraph.

Great post!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Why side with government funded institutions and the banking system? Some of these universities have pretty large endowments. It’s greed, plain and simple.

I agree with some of the points, but some do deserve to get their loans knocked down. Some undeserving will benefit from it as well, but I’m more on the side of citizens than big corporate institutions. To each their own.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I have no sympathy for the universities. There is greed. You’re right.

The only way to stop it is for people to stop buying what they are selling; be prudent when making a decision and borrowing $$$.

There are way too many and they have bloated bureaucracies vs. the old days.

Not everyone should go to college. There used to be a thing called trade schools and vocational education in the public schools (even in Portlandia).

The banking system? It’s my understanding that one of Obama’s accomplishments was to have the federal government back all student debt.

Since then, the cost of attending colleges/universities has continued to rise and student debt delinquencies have soared.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,906
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    The problem is that leftards took over the public education system. The result has been a huge increase in costs, both direct teachers and then the supporting administration. All unionized and with no accountability. So, we get negative education. You don't learn math, science, economics and basic life skills. You end up with the slobberer who believes in the marxist lie of the labor theory of value and thinks it is the job of government to take care of him.

West Linn spends $16,000 per student and then whines about the need for more funding. Think about that. You could send your kid to Jesuit for that money. We have 30-40 million illegals in this country all depressing wages for non-college educated kids. So, negative education and open borders. Things that make America great again.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,235
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Why side with government funded institutions and the banking system? Some of these universities have pretty large endowments. It’s greed, plain and simple.

I agree with some of the points, but some do deserve to get their loans knocked down. Some undeserving will benefit from it as well, but I’m more on the side of citizens than big corporate institutions. To each their own.

You're not on the side of citizens. By favoring loan forgiveness, you're favoring incentives for bad behavior in addition to passing those loan costs along to taxpayers and consumers of financial services in the form of higher banking costs, borrowing costs, etc.. It's a terrible idea.

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    Swaye's Wigwam

trublue said:

Sledog said:

You do realize that money for loan forgiveness comes from taxpayers right?

Justify taking money from someone disadvantaged who decided to work so someone that's privileged can go to college for free.

Right, and based on the fact that those weren't the original terms agreed to.

I agree that this shit is predatory. End government involvement, allow for bankruptcy, and watch as sjw degrees evaporate and college administration shrinks back to a manageable size.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

trublue said:

Sledog said:

You do realize that money for loan forgiveness comes from taxpayers right?

Justify taking money from someone disadvantaged who decided to work so someone that's privileged can go to college for free.

Right, and based on the fact that those weren't the original terms agreed to.

I agree that this shit is predatory. End government involvement, allow for bankruptcy, and watch as sjw degrees evaporate and college administration shrinks back to a manageable size.
    Used to. Now it just comes from the Fed.