Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Sonics1993 has joined Twitter

Comments

• pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,137 Founders Club

pawz said:
    PGOS takes this place very seriously. Like Pup, he wants only high level football talk.

@pawz
    Like was say @fuckoff @PostGameOrangeSlices

@PurpleBaze
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,616 Swaye's Wigwam

pawz said:
    PGOS takes this place very seriously. Like Pup, he wants only high level football talk.

@pawz
    Heeeheheheeee look im @ ing poasters

Be a better poaster
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,137 Founders Club

pawz said:

@pawz

Be a better poaster
    I've never been a good poaster. How can I possibly get better?

@PostGameOrangeSlices
    @pawz
    @creepycoug
    @MikeSeaver
    @RuffaloSoldier
    @BearsWiin
    @CFetters_Nacho_Lover
    @RaceBannon
    @PurpleBaze
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,950 Swaye's Wigwam

I go out of my way an extra 10 minutes to go to Home Depot rather than Lowes. Lowes always lets me down.

Both are awful. Sometimes I am disgusted by Lowe's, sometimes I am disgusted by Home Depot. Usually I end up going to both and it ends up being a complete waste if time
    They both suck. I get way better service and the same prices from my small, local hardware store

I go out of my way an extra 10 minutes to go to Home Depot rather than Lowes. Lowes always lets me down.

Both are awful. Sometimes I am disgusted by Lowe's, sometimes I am disgusted by Home Depot. Usually I end up going to both and it ends up being a complete waste if time
    Then again, also this. Hardware Sales for the win.

Right now, I'm trying to buy a whole hardware store piece by piece. The hardware store in Stanwood is on the auction block, and I've bid on like 20 lots. "Man, I could use a new level... but could I use 30 of them?..." Point is, I may be offering HH members sweet deals on tools here soon.
    How much for a toilet seat with all stainless hardware and good shocks so I can just nudge it and let it close slowly rather than having to use my foot to lower it? No fucking pads but a bit of a cup shape is nice.

I can wire transfer you a down payment if that's a high demand, first come first served item.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,815 Founders Club
    I miss Ernst Malmo
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,229
    edited May 2021

Do you live in Bellingham? Because I could have typed this verbatim.
    No, Kitsap. Same shit, basically. For the specific hardware stuff, etc, ACE IS THE PLACE.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,545 Swaye's Wigwam

No, Kitsap. Same shit, basically. For the specific hardware stuff, etc, ACE IS THE PLACE.
    Hardware Sales in Bellingham is like the eighth wonder of the world. Mom and pop store that's grown over decades. The kind of place where you'll dig through a bin of fittings and find one that still has the sticker on it from 1978, and they'll honor the price. Aisles are narrow, store is a maze, yet everyone fucking loves it. I used to be amazed at what I could find there in the hardware (fasteners) department. Like when I needed M5 rubber well nuts for a motorcycle windscreen, and they had them in stock!

Anymore, I have to admit that it's not so great. I think at some point they decided that they had to make more of a profit. They started an online sales division out of a warehouse nearby, they started carrying more Chinese shit, and they started stocking more of the popular(?) fittings and less oddball stuff. I used to never leave there without what I came for, but more and more I just order fasteners online. What is with hardware stores not carrying metric fasteners!? Fords are all-metric now. Chevys are all-metric now. Fuck, even Harley Davidsons have metric fasteners on them! Are hardware stores under the impression that everyone in America does nothing but wrench on Briggs and Stratton motors? /rant

That being said, Hardware Sales is still the shit, to the point where it's a worthwhile single-day mancation if you're into that sort of thing. Come hit up the store, check out a brewery, head home. They do a summer tent sale every year in their parking lot that's a huge event, with all the major tool manfacturers showing up with big discounts. They didn't do it last year, but wouldn't be surprised if it's back this year. Worth a trip.

Anyway, yeah, I can have whatever fastener I want to my door in under a week. I don't have to worry about going to the hardware store and being disappointed. I keep a decent stock of M5, M6, and M8 SS cap screws, button head cap screws, flange bolts, and nuts on hand in case of emergency and order online to backfill as needed.
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,166

pawz said:

@pawz

Be a better poaster

pawz said:

@pawz

Be a better poaster
    We will if you will. Ah, shit. Nevermind.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,229

Hardware Sales in Bellingham is like the eighth wonder of the world. Mom and pop store that's grown over decades. The kind of place where you'll dig through a bin of fittings and find one that still has the sticker on it from 1978, and they'll honor the price. Aisles are narrow, store is a maze, yet everyone fucking loves it. I used to be amazed at what I could find there in the hardware (fasteners) department. Like when I needed M5 rubber well nuts for a motorcycle windscreen, and they had them in stock!

Anymore, I have to admit that it's not so great. I think at some point they decided that they had to make more of a profit. They started an online sales division out of a warehouse nearby, they started carrying more Chinese shit, and they started stocking more of the popular(?) fittings and less oddball stuff. I used to never leave there without what I came for, but more and more I just order fasteners online. What is with hardware stores not carrying metric fasteners!? Fords are all-metric now. Chevys are all-metric now. Fuck, even Harley Davidsons have metric fasteners on them! Are hardware stores under the impression that everyone in America does nothing but wrench on Briggs and Stratton motors? /rant

That being said, Hardware Sales is still the shit, to the point where it's a worthwhile single-day mancation if you're into that sort of thing. Come hit up the store, check out a brewery, head home. They do a summer tent sale every year in their parking lot that's a huge event, with all the major tool manfacturers showing up with big discounts. They didn't do it last year, but wouldn't be surprised if it's back this year. Worth a trip.

Anyway, yeah, I can have whatever fastener I want to my door in under a week. I don't have to worry about going to the hardware store and being disappointed. I keep a decent stock of M5, M6, and M8 SS cap screws, button head cap screws, flange bolts, and nuts on hand in case of emergency and order online to backfill as needed.
    I'll be up there this weekend and will have to check it out.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,545 Swaye's Wigwam

Closed on Sunday, so watch out for that. Kulshan Brewing and Wander brewing are both nearby, both great.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,773 Founders Club

Closed on Sunday, so watch out for that. Kulshan Brewing and Wander brewing are both nearby, both great.
    Can vouch for Wander.
  • biak1biak1 Member Posts: 4,093
    edited May 2021
    I used to work at HWS (that’s what I like to call it). Actually in the online division. They used to pull all sorts of shady shit.

Lots of stories about Hardware Sales. One highlight was spending hour after hour applying and vigorously scrubbing goo gone or the like on refurbished DeWalt batteries and battery chargers. Not to clean, but to remove a colored ink dot placed there by DeWalt to indicate it was refurbished. After it was gone you just sprayed some silicon on there and it looked brand new. America baby! The McClellan’s are something else — when Alta kicked the bucket 10-15 years ago I think is when they finally started using computers in the main building. Like 30 years behind the fucking times.

Wander, Kulshan, Chuckanut are tops in Bellingham imo. Aslan and BB overrated imo.
    biak1 said:

Wander, Kulshan, Chuckanut are tops in Bellingham imo. Aslan and BB overrated imo.

I have puked after drinking a single pint of Boundary Bay beer. Twice. I think they don't clean their tanks or something between batches, or let a lot of sugars settle out in the beer (this is a guy who knows nothing about brewing talking out of his ass...). I hate their stuff, always have. They are dead last for me when it comes to Bellingham brewers.

Aslan: I went there once after they opened. Meh. I was definitely turned off by the curly mustache douche wearing rolled up capri jeans who poured my beer. Later, I heard a story from a friend of mine. He was at the Russian dumpling place downtown eating, and some douche with a girl was at the next table over. This guy was a colossal prick to the waitress, trying to impress his date by demanding all kinds of stuff not on the menu. At one point, the waitress tells him he simply can't have something that he's asking for, as they literally don't have it on the premise. He gets all pissed off at not having his every whim served and yells at the waitress, "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM!? I OWN ASLAN!" Apparently the brewery was started by a few trust-fundy snowboarder douches who knew nothing about brewing and bought their way in. I haven't given the company a dime since hearing that story.

I like dark beers. I'm currently drinking a 12.4% cocao peanut butter stout from Structures. They're my favorite brewer in Bellingham, and they price their beers as if they know how good they are. Which sucks, but worth it on occasion. They have to put a limit on how many bottles/cans you can buy when they do releases, as they sell out immediately. They're actually more known for their hazy IPAs, but their stouts are ridiculous. Wander is next in town for me, then Kulshan. Stouting Thomas at Twin Sisters is an amazing base stout. Things taper off from there, and I don't really care about the order.

If you're into light German style beers, Chuckanut is for sure the shit. Myself, my wife, and two of my friends were actually the second group to ever be seated there when they opened. I was test riding a Triumph next door (when Champion was still a Triumph dealership), and I walked by the place and saw "Brewery grand opening" in the window, and I'm like, "Holy shit, a new brewery!" This was after Orchard Street Brewing had closed and Boundary Bay was the only game in town. Somebody inside saw me staring through the window, came out, and told me that I should come by the next day because they might finish and open up early. We did, and they were open. To this day, the best salmon I've ever eaten.

/csb
  • biak1biak1 Member Posts: 4,093
    I actually went to HS with some of the owners of Aslan, not sure they had a ton of money between the brothers that I knew but they definitely fit the snowboarder motif. When you're fucked up Pel'mini's is amazing when you're fucked up. That's where I saw a dude get tasered by BPD, good times.

Howard is the man (Triumph guy). My dad bought a Trophy and Sprint there back in the day. Triumph flexed their corporate muscles in a douchey Harley Davidson sort of way and forced him to shut down because the shop wasn't glamorous enough to rep the brand. What. The Fuck. I assume Howard was ready to hang it up anyway, but it doesn't sit well with me the way corporate pushed him out.

I haven't tried Structures yet, at least not that I remember. Stone's Throw in Fairhaven is pretty chill but I wouldn't put it at the same level as Wander/Kulshan/Chuckanut.

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,612 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2021
    This turned into a beer superiority thread?!

Vancouver has both the receiver you crave and the beers you crave.

Fortside, Trap Door, Cascadia Brothers, Grains Of Wrath. Nothing beats them in the Northwest.