Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

We all wear masks and socially distance for over a year “Even if it only saves one life”

124»

Comments

• KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    edited April 2021

haie said:

Kaepsknee said:

Yep. Now it’s a kilt wearing fest with cookie cutter brew pubs that millennials think are cool. Back in the day you’d start with some Spanish coffees at Huber’s, roll down the street and head into the Red Sea and if you weren’t successful at either place, head to the freak fest of all tastes of Panarama.

1) Cookie cutter brewpubs were invented in Bend and Eugene, not Portland

2) You act like I don't live in dive bars like Maui's and the like, they sound like the places you frequented back before Portland became this Millennial dystopia you're crying about.
    McMenamins says "Hi"
    The first McMenamins had a lot of character and some still do. The ones here in Gods Country do. One a 1920s house and the other a former safe house for money, Boone’s Treasury, with Herbert Hoover’s own initials cut in the side. That certainly drips with irony I admit.

Portland has 3 cool ones with Edgefield, Forest Grove and the Kennedy School. But the rest are surely cookie cutter.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,509 Swaye's Wigwam
    Kaepsknee said:

haie said:

Kaepsknee said:

Yep. Now it’s a kilt wearing fest with cookie cutter brew pubs that millennials think are cool. Back in the day you’d start with some Spanish coffees at Huber’s, roll down the street and head into the Red Sea and if you weren’t successful at either place, head to the freak fest of all tastes of Panarama.

2) You act like I don't live in dive bars like Maui's and the like, they sound like the places you frequented back before Portland became this Millennial dystopia you're crying about.
    McMenamins says "Hi"
    The first McMenamins had a lot of character and some still do. The ones here in Gods Country do. One a 1920s house and the other a former safe house for money, Boone’s Treasury, with Herbert Hoover’s own initials cut in the side. That certainly drips with irony I admit.

Portland has 3 cool ones with Edgefield, Forest Grove and the Kennedy School. But the rest are surely cookie cutter.
    Kennedy School and Forest Grove locations are great. FG with the cigar cabin and campus is a good tim.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,887 Standard Supporter
    haie said:

haie said:

Kaepsknee said:

McMenamins says "Hi"
    McMenamins is all over the northwest.

What stupid point are you trying to make? Their beer is okay along with everything else they offer. Some of their locations suck, some are cool. Shocking, I know.

Tell me what's cool and I will go there and see for myself.

Otherwise shut the fuck up.
    Somebody's fragile ego leans Portlandish.

Burn anything recently?
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,994
  • hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    Portland sucks and will never recover from the insane progressive takeover.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    thechatch said:

Wait is @haie a chick?

@Doog_de_Jour will know
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,032 Standard Supporter
    haie said:

haie said:

Kaepsknee said:

McMenamins says "Hi"

What stupid point are you trying to make? Their beer is okay along with everything else they offer. Some of their locations suck, some are cool. Shocking, I know.

They have some cool locations. Edgefield's has a great amphitheater for summer music events. The one consistent is the legendary McMenamins service. Geezus they seem to have cornered the entitled wait staff attitude.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,976 Founders Club
    haie said:

Kaepsknee said:

FREE PUB!!

haie said:

haie said:

Kaepsknee said:

McMenamins says "Hi"

Burn anything recently?
    So no suggestions?

haie said:

Kaepsknee said:

FREE PUB!!
    I like about half of what's in Bend, and almost nothing in Eugene.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,163
    Sledog said:

Idaho says fuck off we live in America!

Enjoy it while it lasts. The libtards are moving and taking you over.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,163
    hardhat said:

The West Coast sucks and will never recover from the insane progressive takeover.

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

Kaepsknee said:

McMenamins says "Hi"

Burn anything recently?
    So no suggestions?
    Find your own dive when you're drunk and lost. There used to be several good ones in the NW district before it gentrified. Even places like Bridgeport - closed now - was great when the parking lot was dirt and train tracks. When they updated and gentrified the area, the best dives closed or relocated. There are still a couple good watering holes in the NE - didn't memorize the names, just look for the pool tables - and SE/Hawthorne area, but that area is a patch on what it used to be. Like Capitol Hill in Seattle, gentrification has destroyed the dive bar culture in Portland, too. It's a city of poseurs, much like Seattle, but at least the darker bricks in their gentrified architecture harkens back to the Shanghai days and the turn of the last century. Seattle has ruined block after block with beige facades and faux limestone/sandstone, more indigenous to the Middle East than the Pac NW.

Fuck it all. Seattle sucks, Portland sucks and SF sucks. The bonus for Seattle and SF is the access to the water and a prettier natural landscapes.

Grunge should have started in Portland, because it was way grungier than Seattle BITD and bay cities>>>>>river cities, especially in the US.

hardhat said:

The West Coast sucks and will never recover from the insane progressive takeover.

I both agree with and endorse this view.

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

Kaepsknee said:

McMenamins says "Hi"

Burn anything recently?
    So no suggestions?
    Find your own dive when you're drunk and lost. There used to be several good ones in the NW district before it gentrified. Even places like Bridgeport - closed now - was great when the parking lot was dirt and train tracks. When they updated and gentrified the area, the best dives closed or relocated. There are still a couple good watering holes in the NE - didn't memorize the names, just look for the pool tables - and SE/Hawthorne area, but that area is a patch on what it used to be. Like Capitol Hill in Seattle, gentrification has destroyed the dive bar culture in Portland, too. It's a city of poseurs, much like Seattle, but at least the darker bricks in their gentrified architecture harkens back to the Shanghai days and the turn of the last century. Seattle has ruined block after block with beige facades and faux limestone/sandstone, more indigenous to the Middle East than the Pac NW.

Fuck it all. Seattle sucks, Portland sucks and SF sucks. The bonus for Seattle and SF is the access to the water and a prettier natural landscapes.

Grunge should have started in Portland, because it was way grungier than Seattle BITD and bay cities>>>>>river cities, especially in the US.
    Bridgeport was great. 10 Barrel and Rogue and some of the places next to where it was, just isn't the same.

As a student in the Ewe District I liked Hales, at least for getting some exercise on the Burke Gilman and picking up stuff if I didn't get stabbed on the way there/back.

There are shitty hipster pubs in most big cities in the western US. That will continue, you older gents can always vote with your wallet of course.

There's still a bunch of great places in both cities. As long as I can shit poast in peace without the Benny's of the world putting pressure on them to go exclusively organic beer and vegan only options, I'm good.
  • RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,648 Founders Club
    Kaepsknee said:

haie said:

Kaepsknee said:

McMenamins says "Hi"

Wasn't the original a Grateful Dead dive bar in the industrial area of NW Portland before it went through its gentrification phase in the 90's? We always ended up there at the end of the night to play pool.