Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Hamilton holds off Verstappen to win tense F1 season-opener

Comments

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Was there any passing that happened outside of pit row? Need to decide if I want to watch or not.

Meanwhile, MotoGP season opener in Qatar was pretty good. Night race, so glowing carbon brake discs and exhaust flames. Lots of passing, lead changes, last second heartbreak. Not a classic (has to be at least 20 passes in the last three laps to come close to that status), but pretty good. Looks like a decent season inbound. Ducati's holeshot device is ridiculous.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,387
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    F1 has always been the least compelling of all motorsports to watch. Zero passing and very non-competitive among the manufacturers. Hopefully some of the rules changes fix those issues. Still won't watch it because it's a bunch of Eurofags.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Was there any passing that happened outside of pit row? Need to decide if I want to watch or not.

Meanwhile, MotoGP season opener in Qatar was pretty good. Night race, so glowing carbon brake discs and exhaust flames. Lots of passing, lead changes, last second heartbreak. Not a classic (has to be at least 20 passes in the last three laps to come close to that status), but pretty good. Looks like a decent season inbound. Ducati's holeshot device is ridiculous.

Swaye's Wigwam
    Finally got around to watching the Romain Grosjean crash in Bahrain. HOLY FUCK! I'm thinking there's a pretty good chance he's a Terminator, so somebody might want to look into that.
    Imola this week. Will anyone unseat the Mercs?
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,483
    Founders Club
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,699
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Max with the big 25 points. Incredible start going 3rd to 1st in by the 3rd turn.
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    Max and Lewis are going to be at each other's throats all season long. The racing this year has been good, I think.

The comments about the only passing being in the pits was valid a few years ago. There's a decent amount of passing these days with the DRS system in place, but I'll give you that the Mercedes team has been making the racing a bit boring the past few seasons.

The Drive to Survive series on Netflix is good if you want a peek inside an F1 team for the weekend.

F1 has always been the least compelling of all motorsports to watch. Zero passing and very non-competitive among the manufacturers. Hopefully some of the rules changes fix those issues. Still won't watch it because it's a bunch of Eurofags.

Less compelling than oval racing of any kind? No.
    dflea said:

Max and Lewis are going to be at each other's throats all season long. The racing this year has been good, I think.

The comments about the only passing being in the pits was valid a few years ago. There's a decent amount of passing these days with the DRS system in place, but I'll give you that the Mercedes team has been making the racing a bit boring the past few seasons.

The Drive to Survive series on Netflix is good if you want a peek inside an F1 team for the weekend.

Agree on all counts. Drive to Survive even made Mrs. Beaver a fan of F1.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,387
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    dflea said:

Yes, because they pass on ovals and can swap paint without making the cars disintegrate.
    Swaye's Wigwam

dflea said:

Yes, because they pass on ovals and can swap paint without making the cars disintegrate.
    I used to shit all over dirt oval sprints until I actually went and watched, then I found out it's pretty fun. It's white twash as fuck, don't get me wrong, but it's fun. Covering your beer when they go by to avoid flying dirt clots, loud engines, the occasional car tumbling end over end. Good Tims. I'd die of boredom watching it on TV, though, just as I do when somebody has NASCAR on. Turn both ways or GTFO.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,699
    Swaye's Wigwam

dflea said:

I used to shit all over dirt oval sprints until I actually went and watched, then I found out it's pretty fun. It's white twash as fuck, don't get me wrong, but it's fun. Covering your beer when they go by to avoid flying dirt clots, loud engines, the occasional car tumbling end over end. Good Tims. I'd die of boredom watching it on TV, though, just as I do when somebody has NASCAR on. Turn both ways or GTFO.
    One of my floor crews raced dirt track in Tenino. He wore Earnhardt gear and even visited Mecca or Daytona for a 500. Wore the black hat and everything and talked like a hick

We got to talking one day and he grew up in Connecticut as a child of wealth. CSB

dflea said:

sure.gif

Most F1 car damage is fixed by swapping out nose pieces. Are they as tuff as NASCAR? Like we say, no.

And as my esteemed colleague noted above, there is plenty of passing. Sometimes not always at the front due to Mercs dominance in the past couple of years, but now they are being pushed by Red Bull at the front and the middle of the pack teams are very tightly matched.

The cars are technological wonders which is one the reason I like it.

dflea said:

Agree on all counts. Drive to Survive even made Mrs. Beaver a fan of F1.
    Same here. My wife hates the sound of the cars, but she started watching DTS and couldn't stop. So much awesome footage.

dflea said:

They pass in F1, too, and you shouldn't hit other shit with your car. Have you not watched a Grand Prix in a few years? The racing today is very good, and it was always the case in F1 that a couple teams dominate the series.

I'd rather watch F1 than any other car racing. Bike racing is great, too, dirt or track. Oval racing, unless it's on dirt, just doesn't do it for me.
    Verstappen takes the win at Monaco and now leads the WDC.
    Charles LeClerc puts the Ferrari on pole for the Azerbaijan GP tomorrow, starting alongside Hamilton in the Merc.

Verstappen starts from 3rd.