Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

OFFICIAL DOOR. ASS. OUT. Roster Genocide Thread

Comments

• Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,705
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

The PF who dropped like 40 in the tournament from EWU is in the portal...

Curious if he'd don purple.

The Groves are in the portal because their coach left. I am sure Hop is at the top of their list of coaches they want to play for.
    If Jen had some cajones, she'd see the opportunity available with the free year of transfers due to COVID and broom the inept Hop NOW.

New coach could grab starters from virtually every school in the country.

Instead, she'll fuck around and miss the moment.
    Yep. A good coach can turn it around very quickly with the portal.
    What does it matter? UW has stunk at basketball for 7 of the last 10 years. Murray’s freshman year and Hops first two being the three that could be called pretty good. UW probably stinks again next year and Cohen fires Hop and the new coach does what you say. Scours the country for talent and builds a roster that can win now and UW saves a few million dollars. Oh no! Hopkins will do more damage! Doesn’t matter. It all can be fixed in a year with an inspired hire. I like the women’s hire. Cohen left the search up to her assistant. Maybe she realizes coaching searches aren’t her thing. It gives me a glimmer of hope for a new coach that I didn’t have a month ago.
    Or she realizes that the Women's basketball coaching search doesn't fucking matter.

You really think an AD isn't going to personally making hiring and firing decisions for football or men's basketball?
    Not if she realizes she sucks at it. She vetted and hired Hopkins and she absolutely did the same with Wynn. Both have ended up as underwhelming hires. Having self awareness to pass off the research and deep digging it takes to make an informed hire seems smart when you personally fucked it up so badly last time. Her assistant didn't choose a 20 year assistant. She didn't choose a coach who took five years to build LBSU into a 22-10 team that never won her conference her last three years. She chose a coach who learned under a champion, then built a losing team into a conference champ in three years and then maintained it for another three. If you think Cohen didn't sign off on who her assistant found then you're not living in reality. I take that as a positive sign that the mens hire will be better in a year or two. If UW hired a mens coach with the same resume as the women's I think we would all be cautiously optimistic.
    1.Then she might as well quit.

Football and men's basketball hires determine 90% of whether an AD is viewed as successful.

Its pretty easy to say in hindsight Hop was a bad hire but 2.what did you say at the time? This board was pretty positive about the hire and we had multiple Syracuse posters talking about how great a head coach Hop would make. And he looked pretty good his first two years (plus first game of third year.)

1. Agreed.

2. I'm pretty sure I said, "Who?'. Then I gave JC the benefit of the doubt because she had a decent track record as an AD to that point. She has lost that trust for me. If the new WBB coach turns out to be a solid or great hire then I would feel more confident in her assistant shaking the trees for the next MBB hire. If Cohen realizes her strengths are fundraising, and balancing budgets then great, embrace that. Use the tools around you to find coaching talent if that is not a strength of yours. Look, I would say that if Jimmy Lake ends up winning 8 games a year that is another coaching mistake for her. Unfortunately it won't result in her termination. AMC will not fire her. As long as the AD is in the black then all is right with upper campus. I don't like it but I'm not delusional to think the university cares enough to fire a woman AD that balances the budget and gives the student athletes a great college experience. Sucks but it's true.
    Why does everyone on this board keep talking about the women's NCAA basketball job? It couldn't be more irrelevant.

Cohen's issue wasn't hiring Hop- it was not pulling the ripcord as soon as it was obvious he wasn't the guy. Which was really last year but without a doubt after this year.

You're just creating this fantasy world relying on multiple assumptions that have no basis in reality.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,558
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I was just trying to get you to see my point. I want all the programs at UW to be successful. Hiring a coach for gymnastics, WBB, baseball, softball, whatever, just hire a champion and win at everything. You don't agree and that's fine. Also, Cohen messed up the Hopkins situation when she extended him after year two. If she had waited a year to see him coach his own team then he would have been fired after last year and definitely after this year. Her extension made the finances involved in his job status too great when it came to letting him go after this year. Financially she tied her own hands with that extension. Yet another black mark on her tenure as AD IMO.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,894
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    So we're bringing back a bunch of in state kids who turned down UW on the first go-round. Are any of these guys actually any good?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

So we're bringing back a bunch of in state kids who turned down UW on the first go-round. Are any of these guys actually any good?
    Better than the guys we had
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,973
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

What can this guy do? Super inefficient offensive
    Player. Does he excel with defense?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited April 2021

What can this guy do? Super inefficient offensive Player
    . Does he excel with defense?
    Wait until Hop gets ahold of him!
  • Options
    HireBRoyHireBRoy Member Posts: 77
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

Better than the guys we had
    Both brown and matthews have a brain AND a pulse. Good start
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    He started at WVU. Streaky shooter. Pretty good defender.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,705
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    So who is that fake gym rat thing targeted at?
  • Options
    JimBasnightJimBasnight Member Posts: 14
    Name Dropper First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Hey, where are all the smart ass internet trolls who talked so much smack about me when I said Romar never should've been fired and that Cohen was clueless in hoops, when they made the dance and signed Stewart, Quade and McDaniels?

Get in line and be men (or women) about it and take your medicine.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,910
    Founders Club

Hey, where are all the smart ass internet trolls who talked so much smack about me when I said Romar never should've been fired and that Cohen was clueless in hoops, when they made the dance and signed Stewart, Quade and McDaniels?

Get in line and be men (or women) about it and take your medicine.

Romar needed to be fired, but you're right about the other stuff.

Welcome to HH.