Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Nikkei opens down 600...

Comments

• Options

So, you're a liar, too?

You're just figuring this out? I know tons of 20 year olds who can pay for their own Super Bowl ticket, invest their own cash, have great portfolios, are climate change experts, and give advice to hedge fund mangers and investment bankers. I'm missing a whole bunch of other shit too. I can't keep up with it all.

The internet. Where people can be whatever they want.

We run in different social circles. Hi Harv!

Also if you took my post as meaning investment bankers and hedge funds ask me for my advice you're a fucking retard. It was a response to obk saying NOC about Midd kids in the finance world. Econ is the most popular major here and 95% of those people graduate to work in finance in either Boston or NY.

We're doing something right.
    I don't doubt that you will get a job in Boston or NYC after graduation. You are obviously an academically intelligent guy and one day after gaining some more schooling and experience you may become a good financial advisor or whatever the fuck you are trying to be. I do doubt that you invest your own cash, buy your own SuperBowl ticket, and a lot of other bullshit you post. Everyone here was 20 once and everyone here knows what 20 year olds are like, even academically superior ones like yourself.

You completely contradicted yourself with your first comment.

"The market correction was coming. It will sputter in the next couple months. If you didn't sell your stocks in mid January you have no bidness investing. Still would guess growth to be 8-10% in the DJIA for 2014. It will end up fine."

So, if it will end up fine, why would you panic and sell your stocks? Wouldn't they rebound if it was going to be fine? You are supposed to sell your stocks anytime the market takes a dip?

On your last poont. Yes, sell high then buy low. Pretty basic principle of investing.

And yes. I was lucky to get a SB ticket at reduced price. It was a potentially once in a lifetime experience to see your team play in it. Why is that an issue?
    Thanks for teaching me that. If you can't see how you contradicted yourself, I can't help you.

You sell off stocks when the market got a little ambitious or at the first sign of dropping. Then you wait for it to "bottom". Then invest again if you have confidence that the market will continue to rise. Sure, one could wait it out, but I like to maximize profit.

There was no contradiction there.

The fact that you think there was speaks volumes.
    When you aren't playing with hypotheticals in class at Middlebury, you will learn that there is more that goes into it.

Of course there's more that goes in to it.

Christ dude.

• Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited February 2014

So, you're a liar, too?

You're just figuring this out? I know tons of 20 year olds who can pay for their own Super Bowl ticket, invest their own cash, have great portfolios, are climate change experts, and give advice to hedge fund mangers and investment bankers. I'm missing a whole bunch of other shit too. I can't keep up with it all.

Also if you took my post as meaning investment bankers and hedge funds ask me for my advice you're a fucking retard. It was a response to obk saying NOC about Midd kids in the finance world. Econ is the most popular major here and 95% of those people graduate to work in finance in either Boston or NY.

I don't doubt that you will get a job in Boston or NYC after graduation. You are obviously an academically intelligent guy and one day after gaining some more schooling and experience you may become a good financial advisor or whatever the fuck you are trying to be. I do doubt that you invest your own cash, buy your own SuperBowl ticket, and a lot of other bullshit you post. Everyone here was 20 once and everyone here knows what 20 year olds are like, even academically superior ones like yourself.

"The market correction was coming. It will sputter in the next couple months. If you didn't sell your stocks in mid January you have no bidness investing. Still would guess growth to be 8-10% in the DJIA for 2014. It will end up fine."

So, if it will end up fine, why would you panic and sell your stocks? Wouldn't they rebound if it was going to be fine? You are supposed to sell your stocks anytime the market takes a dip?

On your last poont. Yes, sell high then buy low. Pretty basic principle of investing.

And yes. I was lucky to get a SB ticket at reduced price. It was a potentially once in a lifetime experience to see your team play in it. Why is that an issue?
    Thanks for teaching me that. If you can't see how you contradicted yourself, I can't help you.

You sell off stocks when the market got a little ambitious or at the first sign of dropping. Then you wait for it to "bottom". Then invest again if you have confidence that the market will continue to rise. Sure, one could wait it out, but I like to maximize profit.

Whoa there Einstein. Directional buyers and sellers are dumbasses unless they have inside information. Picking tops and bottoms is suicide. They can't predict what the market will do. They don't know jack shit. Once a trader accepts that fact, they will settle on the most logical approach, and that is neutral options strategies.
  • Options
    death2ducksdeath2ducks Member Posts: 991
    5 Up Votes First Comment Testing 1 5 Awesomes
    There is one thing that is bugging the shit out of me about this thread; the idea that economics is a zero sum game. There's an old saying on Wall Street that you have NO friends. If you want a friend, buy a dog. The zero-sum thinkers will rob you blind.

Most of my partners that either screwed me, or attempted to screw me financially, were educated in the east. Most went to Ivy League colleges. They ALL thought that it was a zero sum game. That thinking creates thieves. Some money managers aren't as obvious as Bernie Madoff. Some do their stealing through their in-house broker dealers. (hint) Bernie just stole it directly. Most of them aren't terribly bright. (See Bernie) The dumber you are, the more likely you believe it's a zero sum game. "How could this other guy out-produce me?" It couldn't be that he's smarter. It couldn't be that he studied harder and figured something out on his own and is bringing value to his clients. HE MUST HAVE CHEATED!

If it was a zero sum game, we would still be measuring wealth in salt and using ox carts. It isn't, it's just that stealing is easy. Henry Ford figured something out. Thomas Edison figured something out. So did Tesla. Lots of rich people did it with their brains. Others stole it. Some people on Wall Street add value to companies by showing them ways to more efficiently run their companies. Others steal. If you run into CD on Wall Street in a few years, keep both hands on your wallet.

So why isn't this guy in jail with Bernie?

• Options
    edited February 2014

There is one thing that is bugging the shit out of me about this thread; the idea that economics is a zero sum game. There's an old saying on Wall Street that you have NO friends. If you want a friend, buy a dog. The zero-sum thinkers will rob you blind.

Most of my partners that either screwed me, or attempted to screw me financially, were educated in the east. Most went to Ivy League colleges. They ALL thought that it was a zero sum game. That thinking creates thieves. Some money managers aren't as obvious as Bernie Madoff. Some do their stealing through their in-house broker dealers. (hint) Bernie just stole it directly. Most of them aren't terribly bright. (See Bernie) The dumber you are, the more likely you believe it's a zero sum game. "How could this other guy out-produce me?" It couldn't be that he's smarter. It couldn't be that he studied harder and figured something out on his own and is bringing value to his clients. HE MUST HAVE CHEATED!

If it was a zero sum game, we would still be measuring wealth in salt and using ox carts. It isn't, it's just that stealing is easy. Henry Ford figured something out. Thomas Edison figured something out. So did Tesla. Lots of rich people did it with their brains. Others stole it. Some people on Wall Street add value to companies by showing them ways to more efficiently run their companies. Others steal. If you run into CD on Wall Street in a few years, keep both hands on your wallet.

If you want to play with the thieves, you need be a better 'thief' yourself. That's just the nature of things. For each person that loses in the stock market, someone else has gained from his loss. For each big money boss ceo, there are millions of underpaid, underemployed workers who toil under him. His gain, their loss. For every underpaid worker, there is an unemployed worker that didn't quite make the cut and wasn't hired for the job. Work hard all you want. You're still playing in a game with thieves.

Oh yeah, and just like your stockbroker, your money manager is profiting from your risk, not his. He gets paid like a bookie whether you win or lose.

Explain how it's not a zero sum game. With limited jobs and limited money to go around, that's how it's going to be unless we find some unicorns and rainbows and build a utopia.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1
    edited February 2014

So, you're a liar, too?

When you aren't playing with hypotheticals in class at Middlebury, you will learn that there is more that goes into it.

Christ dude.

I don't want to go Tequilla style to argue about whether you know anything about the market, but I guess I will cave. You probably know a little bit. You are also almost certainly full of shit and think you know way more than you actually do.

So far, you have told us that the goal is to buy low and sell high. Groundbreaking stuff there, CollegeDoog. According to you, anyone who didn't sell their stocks in January has no bidness investing even though you also insists that the market will be fine and predict a growth of 8 to 10%. By the way, which magazine were you reading where you said that?

People who know what they are doing and have had success never fuck up or lose money? That's news to me and contrary to what a very successful financial advisor once told me.

I'm far from an expert on this shit, but I do know that it is sometimes better to buy and hold a good stock than to engage in rapid fire trading. There is another basic principle of investing that they should be teaching you at Middlebury. Frankly, I don't think many 20 year olds who aren't even full time brokers with years of experience are skilled enough to not get burned doing this.

If investing was so easy, everyone would be millionaires, if not billionaires. Shut the fuck up and stop acting like you know everything because you have some stocks that your dad and grampa bought for you growing up and you got an A in Finance 101. When you have devoted years of your life to this and have a proven track record, come back and give me some tips.

Why is it so unfathomable that a kid can use some money earned working and create and e trade account. You make it sound like it's really fucking hard to get into the investing game.

And I like short term investing because it's more of a thrill and can be more fruitful.

Of course most people just put money in a diverse portfolio and wait years as it rises and falls. But if you're actually "investing" you trade actively. That's what I meant in my first post.

• Options

So, you're a liar, too?

Christ dude.

I don't want to go Tequilla style to argue about whether you know anything about the market, but I guess I will cave. You probably know a little bit. You are also almost certainly full of shit and think you know way more than you actually do.

So far, you have told us that the goal is to buy low and sell high. Groundbreaking stuff there, CollegeDoog. According to you, anyone who didn't sell their stocks in January has no bidness investing even though you also insists that the market will be fine and predict a growth of 8 to 10%. By the way, which magazine were you reading where you said that?

People who know what they are doing and have had success never fuck up or lose money? That's news to me and contrary to what a very successful financial advisor once told me.

I'm far from an expert on this shit, but I do know that it is sometimes better to buy and hold a good stock than to engage in rapid fire trading. There is another basic principle of investing that they should be teaching you at Middlebury. Frankly, I don't think many 20 year olds who aren't even full time brokers with years of experience are skilled enough to not get burned doing this.

If investing was so easy, everyone would be millionaires, if not billionaires. Shut the fuck up and stop acting like you know everything because you have some stocks that your dad and grampa bought for you growing up and you got an A in Finance 101. When you have devoted years of your life to this and have a proven track record, come back and give me some tips.

Why is it so unfathomable that a kid can use some money earned working and create and e trade account. You make it sound like it's really fucking hard to get into the investing game.

And I like short term investing because it's more of a thrill and can be more fruitful.

Of course most people just put money in a diverse portfolio and wait years as it rises and falls. But if you're actually "investing" you trade actively. That's what I meant in my first post.

You won't be so thrilled when you wipe out your trading account with 1 bad move. If you're a top and bottom picker you'll lose in the long run.
  • Options

Explain how it's not a zero sum game. With limited jobs and limited money to go around, that's how it's going to be unless we find some unicorns and rainbows and build a utopia.
    Simple, it's called growth. Invent a new service or product or just a more efficient way of doing something. If you're too stupid to do that, you're obviously going to end up being a zero-sum-game thinker, working for someone who CAN do that.

Capitalism rewards people who invent new services and products and more efficient ways of doing things; socialism doesn't, (see USSR Communism).

Want to find a more efficient way of doing something? Provide a service NOW provided by the Government. (See Federal Express).

So why are there attorneys that fill out your Social Security and Veterans Benefit forms for you? Why are there so many accountants doing your taxes? Why is there H&R Block? Because the Government cannot compete with those people.

Obamacare? Attorneys are licking their chops, and it ISN'T because the government is efficient.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Simple, it's called growth. Invent a new service or product or just a more efficient way of doing something. If you're too stupid to do that, you're obviously going to end up being a zero-sum-game thinker, working for someone who CAN do that.

Capitalism rewards people who invent new services and products and more efficient ways of doing things; socialism doesn't, (see USSR Communism).
    Again, this would only be true in a utopia. The new growth or invention will not outweigh the reality that there will still be a limited amount of jobs and a limited amount of money. For every person that gets a new job related to the invention, there will be 100 others that didn't make the cut. There may be nepotism involved in hiring as well. People/relatives may be hired over more qualified individuals, as often happens.

Also, many new inventions herald the death of past inventions/technology. When technology is improved and becomes more efficient, jobs are often lost as a result, as machinery takes on more of the workload from human beings. In this circumstance the inventor and his business associates win and workers involved in pursuits that deal with old technology lose and are forced to gain new skills or accept other less attractive employment. Example: Amazon.com. Merciless killer of brick and mortar bookstores and many other independent (and even big name) stores that employed people but can no longer compete because of the service this company provides.

You haven't proven it's not a zero sum game. You haven't passed Go. You won't collect your $200 from this argument.
  • Options

You haven't proven it's not a zero sum game. You haven't passed Go. You won't collect your $200 from this argument.
    LOL... I didn't expect to change your mind. Just try to keep an open mind.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Collegedoog is embarrassing a lot of you.

Where ass you simply embarr ass yourself.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    CollegeDoog says buy low and sell hi and he's playing this market that is already one of the longest and most mature bull markets?

The stock market is topping. It's going down 30-40% over the next 2-4 years. By the time most people call it a bear market it will be closer to the bottom. And no I am not a doomer. In fact, the next low will be one of the best buying opportunities ever.

Here's a hint for CollegeDoog. The most savvy investors buy value and buy crashes. They don't care about the US market which they find overvalued now. They were buying US stocks in 2011 and 2008. They were buying Europe in summer 2012. They bought emerging markets in 2009. They bought commodities in 2002-2003.

The best thing that will happen to you is losing money. Its the greatest education that makes you a better investor in the future.
  • Options

The best thing that will happen to you is losing money. Its the greatest education that makes you a better investor in the future.

Pretty much. Always look at the potential losses before the potential gains. Don't get excited about gains. They'll come after you respect and fear the losses. Have a solid plan for containing losses and stick to it. If defense wins championships, it also wins the investment game.
  • Options

CollegeDoog says buy low and sell hi and he's playing this market that is already one of the longest and most mature bull markets?

The stock market is topping. It's going down 30-40% over the next 2-4 years. By the time most people call it a bear market it will be closer to the bottom. And no I am not a doomer. In fact, the next low will be one of the best buying opportunities ever.

Here's a hint for CollegeDoog. The most savvy investors buy value and buy crashes. They don't care about the US market which they find overvalued now. They were buying US stocks in 2011 and 2008. They were buying Europe in summer 2012. They bought emerging markets in 2009. They bought commodities in 2002-2003.

It's not going down 30-40% though.
  • Options
    What the fuck happened to college doog? He used to be a decent poster now he's just turned into a bullshit artist non stop.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,631
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm glad the old boards are back. This thread is pure entertainment.
  • Options

It's not going down 30-40% though.
    What did you do with the old College Douche?
  • Options

What the fuck happened to college doog? He used to be a decent poster now he's just turned into a bullshit artist non stop.

"I'm better at life than you."
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,073
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    This entire thread deserves an enormous Citrus Bomb.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

This entire thread IS an enormous Citrus Bomb.