Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Cardwell to Da Ducks

Comments

• ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

ntxduck said:

DJDuck said:

ntxduck said:

DJDuck said:

Another Great Running Back. We are blessed.😁👍🏉

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/byron-cardwell-236737

How many great running backs would you say we have right now?
    .5. One, on the odd times where Verdell is healthy.
    He has rushed for over 1,000 yards in each of his 2 full seasons-averaging around 5.5 yards per carry

That’s simply not good enough for a former All-American such as @ntxduck. The man has standards.
    Lol. It’s ok to admit our running back stable isn’t that good. Because it’s not.

Cj is good. Can’t ever stay healthy. Don’t think you can consider him great when he plays half the games.

Dye is a third down back at best and fumbles too much.

Dollars looks good but we haven’t seen him enough. Was hoping we’d see him more vs isu after having some nice runs against sc, but no.

Habibi gone.

Benson redshirted after surgery.

Who in that group would you argue is great? Terrence Whitehead is better than all of them.
    When you put it like that, it’s interesting and true, although Verdell has been better than Whitehead was as a Duck.

Turns out Royce Freemans don’t grow on trees, and even he’s about one more year away from being out of the NFL. LaMike flamed out almost immediately, Byron Marshall never even played in the NFL, and Barner is a special teams player bouncing around teams.

I do like Dollars a lot too. He deserves more carries next year. Cyrus was not good other than as a 3rd and very short back.

The only real “great” RB Oregon has had in recent years is Blount and he lost his shit against Hout and then had a crucial fumble in the Rose Bowl that should have been a TD fun.

Thanks for the further thoughts on your opinion.
    I’d say both kenjon and lmj were great bordering on elite college running backs.
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited January 2021
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

DJDuck said:

ntxduck said:

DJDuck said:

He has rushed for over 1,000 yards in each of his 2 full seasons-averaging around 5.5 yards per carry

That’s simply not good enough for a former All-American such as @ntxduck. The man has standards.
    Lol. It’s ok to admit our running back stable isn’t that good. Because it’s not.

Cj is good. Can’t ever stay healthy. Don’t think you can consider him great when he plays half the games.

Dollars looks good but we haven’t seen him enough. Was hoping we’d see him more vs isu after having some nice runs against sc, but no.

Habibi gone.

Who in that group would you argue is great? Terrence Whitehead is better than all of them.
    When you put it like that, it’s interesting and true, although Verdell has been better than Whitehead was as a Duck.

Turns out Royce Freemans don’t grow on trees, and even he’s about one more year away from being out of the NFL. LaMike flamed out almost immediately, Byron Marshall never even played in the NFL, and Barner is a special teams player bouncing around teams.

I do like Dollars a lot too. He deserves more carries next year. Cyrus was not good other than as a 3rd and very short back.

The only real “great” RB Oregon has had in recent years is Blount and he lost his shit against Hout and then had a crucial fumble in the Rose Bowl that should have been a TD fun.

I’d say both kenjon and lmj were great bordering on elite college running backs.
    System backs

I totally forgot Jonathon Stewart, by far is the best all-around back for Oregon since football was invented in 1994. Rueben Droughns and Onterrio Smith were also elite. Mo Morris is up there with them.

Jeremiah Johnson was a good college back as well.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

DJDuck said:

ntxduck said:

DJDuck said:

Habibi gone.

System backs

I totally forgot Jonathon Stewart, by far is the best all-around back for Oregon since football was invented in 1994. Rueben Droughns and Onterrio Smith were also elite. Mo Morris is up there with them.

JJ is my all time favorite duck. Saw him start multiple fights in practice when guys weren’t going hard enough
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

DJDuck said:

ntxduck said:

DJDuck said:

Habibi gone.

System backs

JJ is my all time favorite duck. Saw him start multiple fights in practice when guys weren’t going hard enough
    System backs isn’t a criticism of LMJ and Kenjon. Chip’s offense was perfect to maximize their strengths. I still think LMJ could have been a good pro back if his elbow wasn’t falling apart every other game.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    1. Terrence Whitehead is the worst.
    2. CJ is not awful, but what a sad state of affairs for the conference when this is the most well known RB it has to offer.
    3. Byron Marshall drew three years of active roster NFL paychecks and another year of practice squad pay. More than expected for a 5’9” back with 4.58 speed.
    4. Travis Dye is the best running back on this team. He’s better than Verdell. Six fumbles in 367 touches is shitty. Wear some gloves. He should still be the starter, though.

Dye should have been used more this past season. Arroyo had under utilized him, I think Moorhead understands now that consistently CJ can only be counted to run into the backs of the offensive linemen and get injured.

Some Travis Dye stats:
    * 50th ranked RB in the 2018 class, of the 49 ahead of him only Jermar Jefferson has rushed for more yards. It was a shitty year for RBs, but shiniest turd.
    * Career 5.9 YPC is 7th out of Oregon’s top 25 career RB rushers. Top yards per catch out of players who exclusively played RB.
    * Dye is 14/16 in his career on converting 3rd and 3 or less on runs. That is amazing. He’s also 3/4 on 4th down. Yet they kept running the TD vulture and CJ because everyone is dumb. Maybe the shiftiest back is better than the slow ass and the blind one? Just an idea.
    * In 2020 Dye carried it 28 times on first down for an average of 9 YPC and a long of only 26.
    * In 310 carries Dye has only lost 31 yards. Some of that is the pistol. Oregon’s offense, duh like everyone, does way better when you don’t have second and long and Dye is very efficient at it.

Stats can be skewed, yadda yadda. You can’t ignore that he’s been a great recruit for what I assumed was a favor for his brother. If Dye had been gettin Verdell’s carries behind in 2018 and 19 I wonder how it would have played out.

Someone needs to tell CJ it’s okay to not just run straight ahead.

You can also not run into the LGs or RGs ass, it’s a thing running backs are allowed to do.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 3,997
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Verdell is a jag, you guys are fucking idiots. "great" is obviously a semantic argument, but ffs. Freeman was great, LMJ was great, Snoop was great. Verdell? GTFO. Benson could be very good, Cardwell looks very good as well.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

2. CJ is not awful, but what a sad state of affairs for the conference when this is the most well known RB it has to offer.
    3. Byron Marshall drew three years of active roster NFL paychecks and another year of practice squad pay. More than expected for a 5’9” back with 4.58 speed.
    4. Travis Dye is the best running back on this team. He’s better than Verdell. Six fumbles in 367 touches is shitty. Wear some gloves. He should still be the starter, though.

Dye should have been used more this past season. Arroyo had under utilized him, I think Moorhead understands now that consistently CJ can only be counted to run into the backs of the offensive linemen and get injured.

Some Travis Dye stats:
    * 50th ranked RB in the 2018 class, of the 49 ahead of him only Jermar Jefferson has rushed for more yards. It was a shitty year for RBs, but shiniest turd.
    * Career 5.9 YPC is 7th out of Oregon’s top 25 career RB rushers. Top yards per catch out of players who exclusively played RB.
    * Dye is 14/16 in his career on converting 3rd and 3 or less on runs. That is amazing. He’s also 3/4 on 4th down. Yet they kept running the TD vulture and CJ because everyone is dumb. Maybe the shiftiest back is better than the slow ass and the blind one? Just an idea.
    * In 2020 Dye carried it 28 times on first down for an average of 9 YPC and a long of only 26.
    * In 310 carries Dye has only lost 31 yards. Some of that is the pistol. Oregon’s offense, duh like everyone, does way better when you don’t have second and long and Dye is very efficient at it.

Stats can be skewed, yadda yadda. You can’t ignore that he’s been a great recruit for what I assumed was a favor for his brother. If Dye had been gettin Verdell’s carries behind in 2018 and 19 I wonder how it would have played out.

You can also not run into the LGs or RGs ass, it’s a thing running backs are allowed to do.

I prefer backs that don’t fumble
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited January 2021
    There are two things that seem pretty clear to me that are nonetheless debated here: Verdell is a damn good back and Verdell is injury prone and misses time every year. Which puts his stats into an interesting perspective.

As I've said before, even though he has the compact build a back needs to handle a lot of carries, the guy runs very hard and takes on collisions that sometimes you think he's be better off avoiding. Specifically he's had shoulder issues and I think in 2020 he got a pretty good concussion or two. Not sure. But there's no doubt that he's missed time every year he's been there.

There are two things that seem pretty clear to me that are nonetheless debated here: Verdell is a damn good back and Verdell is injury prone and misses time every year. Which puts his stats into an interesting perspective.

As I've said before, even though he has the compact build a back needs to handle a lot of carries, the guy runs very hard and takes on collisions that sometimes you think he's be better off avoiding. Specifically he's had shoulder issues and I think in 2020 he got a pretty good concussion or two. Not sure. But there's no doubt that he's missed time every year he's been there.

He’s played in 32 out of 34 games since his first year. He gets banged up at times but he’s a gamer.
  • DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2021
    Derek Loville has to be on any list. He is #4 in all time rushing ahead of Jonathan Stewart.

He’s played in 32 out of 34 games since his first year. He gets banged up at times but he’s a gamer.
    Yeah, he hasn't been in street cloths that often, I'll grant you that. But he's had to sit out entire halves multiple times, or not start, come in for a few carries and clearly not himself, and get pulled. That's happened several times.

Like I said, really good back. You don't post back to back 1,000 yard seasons when you're average. It also puts those stats into perspective. What would his numbers be if he didn't miss to so many carries.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,721
    Swaye's Wigwam

Kevin Wilhite

Herman Ho-Ching
  • DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Yeah, he hasn't been in street cloths that often, I'll grant you that. But he's had to sit out entire halves multiple times, or not start, come in for a few carries and clearly not himself, and get pulled. That's happened several times.

Like I said, really good back. You don't post back to back 1,000 yard seasons when you're average. It also puts those stats into perspective. What would his numbers be if he didn't miss to so many carries.
    6.1 YPC
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    DJDuck said:

6.1 YPC
    Who? Verdell's career ypc is 5.4 but considering most of those carries came behind arguably the best OL in the nation they get a pretty big asterisk.

Verdell's 4.4 this year is probably closer to his true talent level.

Good college back. Definitely not great.
    dnc said:

DJDuck said:

6.1 YPC
    Who? Verdell's career ypc is 5.4 but considering most of those carries came behind arguably the best OL in the nation they get a pretty big asterisk.

I think that's mostly fair. I'd probably do slightly more than good college back. I'd give him an A-.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 3,997
    Standard Supporter

He's got retard strength, so what? Dude leaves 50 yards a game on the field by being blind as a bat. He's the least natural RB I've ever seen. He's meathead Mario in RB form. Full speed ahead into the torpedo only works for Sean Connery.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

DJDuck said:

6.1 YPC

I think that's mostly fair. I'd probably do slightly more than good college back. I'd give him an A-.
    Solid B from me
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Some Travis Dye stats:

I prefer backs that don’t fumble
    I prefer 1988 Barry Sanders but I’ll settle for a back that can break 50 yards more often than 60% of games where he’s the primary ball carrier.

I like Verdell. He can run into stuff and sometimes that’s 20 yards, or even 80 if the offensive line kills it before he can run into them. He’s failed to get 50+ yards in 14 games. Dye has more games of 50+ yards, on considerably fewer carries. Dye is not as fast or strong, he has vision and moves beyond lowering his head. There were also those 9 catches for 240 yards and 4 TDs this season, no asterisk steel vagina trophy without those.

You keep saying the offense got shitty because they lost Verdell, yet that’s not what the numbers say. I’ll admit to partially true, but mostly because when Verdell doesn’t play it meant having to see more Habibi-Likio.

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I found out in another thread that @DJDuck is a 74 year old man. Imagine being 74 and TBS'ing to this level.