Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Things we know for sure + questions going into the '14 season

Comments

• TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    Gladstone said:

Too many shitty political and/or Super Bowl threads. Can we talk football a little bit?

What we know:

-- The OL is a seasoned, veteran group that can run block pretty well.
    -- LBs should be solid at worse, tops in the P12 at best.
    -- Shelton is one of the best DLs in the conference and, assuming he can stay healthy, should anchor middle of the D in a great way.
    -- WRs are a nice mix of Speed (Ross, Mickens) and strength (Williams and others).
    -- We finally have a non-fucktarded coach with a real work ethic and nearly unparalleled success at a lower level.

Questions:

-- QB: who will it be and how productive will he be?
    -- RB: who emerges? I like Washington's game a lot but if he keeps fumbling he won't see much of the field. I don't like Callier's game, never really did. Insert Deonte 'not a dry eye in the house' Cooper joke here
    -- 1 CB and 1 Safety need to step up and reinforce what we already have
    -- Special teams, The Coon had a nice bounceback year and will be missed.

It's nice that the schedule is backloaded. Petersen will be able to work out some of the offensive kinks. I'm guessing we'll go with a pretty run-heavy approach to start. Defense should be pretty dang good as well.

I like football discussion even if it's just a little bit 2+days before the Super Bowl.

What I think I know and probably don't:
    -- The returning OL sucks at pass protection blocking which will not do for the new coaching staff, especially the head guy. All OL positions will be put in competition with starting roles up for grabs.
    -- LB crew should be better than UW has had for several years, but won't be as good as UCLA's.
    -- Shelton is a slug who can't go hard for three downs without a blow. Lose 30 lbs big guy.
    -- WR's should be strength and Stringfellow is poised for greatness. Can't count on Williams.
    -- Coaching will be improved in ways we've forgotten about. BSU is not as low as doogs think.

There must be questions for the new coaching staff:
    -- The new QB will have to have the best arm to make CP happy. This position is up for grabs.
    -- RB is a concern with hopes on unknowns Washington, Coleman, McDaniel, and any new kid.
    -- Fast DB development will be major challenge for new coaches. Here comes EWU early!
    -- Kicker and punter are questions, but return game could threaten like we haven't seen forever.

From a season ticket buyer's perspective, the OOC schedule totally sucks with the EWU trap poised to challenge CP with potentially the biggest upset embarrassment in Husky Football history. This time, we won't have Trufant to save the day. Thankyou Woody! I really like the young talent returning on the 2014 roster and I'm looking forward to watching the new coaching staff's improvements settle into the program. However, Sark left the program with glaring holes or weakness in all phases of our game, defensive backfield, offensive line. kicker/punter, and possibly RB. This stuff can be fixed and made better than ever in reasonable time, but I'm not doogie enough to expect overnight perfection.

• GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    uh tequila

if we don't blow EWU out of the water then petersen isn't who we thought he was
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Gladstone said:

uh tequila

We will, but it will be a good test for our young DB's to face a team that will throw it 50+ times. They should get better as the year goes along, but this will be an early test that shows what we got at the weakest spot.

I am high on Kelly, but you still have to wait until the games are played. We need to find a good nickelback who will most likely be a true freshman unless Dixon miraculously gets much better. Maybe John Ross will have to get some snaps here. Safety is another huge concern. Beaver and King are unproven, and didn't look all that great last year. I bet a true freshman or two will get playing time here as well. It would be one thing if these guys were 4 and 5 star guys with offers from the top schools. They are mid tier guys though. If Budda Baker comes to UW, I think it is highly likely he will start.

Sark didn't only fuck up OL recruiting. There should be better depth at DB too.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,298 Founders Club
    World Number One
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    Gladstone said:

uh tequila

uh yah doog

Like Oregon State blew EWU out of the water last Fall in Corvallis, right? EWU is always a potential giant killer loaded with in-state kids who are never seen on UW's or any Pac-12 radar. A trip to Husky Stadium in September is a real treat for the massive underdog from Cheney. Petersen and his DB coach must plug in at least two and possibly three raw rookies at safety and cornerback and do it quickly before the Eagles' aerial circus shows up. I've seen them do it at BSU and am confident they will do it at UW, but it can take some time as it did just last season when Sark took advantage of a raw inexperienced Bronco defensive backfield. As for whether or not Petersen is who we think he is, I suspect you like many others in doogland have no clue.

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,728 Swaye's Wigwam
    I like Miles because if our OL does break down in the pass he can at least get something out of it. He looked like he wasn't about to shit his pants out there either. We *should* mouth-fuck EWU, a team who barely beat a team we hung 70 on in the same stadium. I'm still concerned that this team has Sarktard syndrome, where if we lose a big game (Stanford, Oregon, etc) we'll come out the next week playing like shit.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,706 Founders Club
    Tailgater said:

Gladstone said:

uh tequila

uh yah doog

Like Oregon State blew EWU out of the water last Fall in Corvallis, right? EWU is always a potential giant killer loaded with in-state kids who are never seen on UW's or any Pac-12 radar. A trip to Husky Stadium in September is a real treat for the massive underdog from Cheney. Petersen and his DB coach must plug in at least two and possibly three raw rookies at safety and cornerback and do it quickly before the Eagles' aerial circus shows up. I've seen them do it at BSU and am confident they will do it at UW, but it can take some time as it did just last season when Sark took advantage of a raw inexperienced Bronco defensive backfield. As for whether or not Petersen is who we think he is, I suspect you like many others in doogland have no clue.

That was 2011 under Sark, this is now. Win by at least two TDs.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771

What I know is this. any credit for winning games will be attributed to the great talent Sark left Peterman and if Peterman doesn't win 10 games, he will take all the blame and doogs will foster doubt Peterman is the right guy.

If he doesn't win 10 games it'll be all his fault and he should be fired.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    Has Peterman EVER won at Huskie Stadium?
  • Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    edited February 2014
    Offense line "seasoned and veteran." So?

I'll believe the O line being anything but glorified high schoolers when they prove otherwise. Recruiting for linemen sucks as usual in 2014. Petersen should be expected to take about 10 linemen in 2015 or I wonder big time.

The Dawgs will never be a Top 25 until we have good lines. We are nowhere near a Top 25 team now. (He cares about being in the Top 25? If you're not in the Top 10 more often than not forget about it.)

Our lines have been a rolling train wreck for over a decade. Fix it.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,727
    Can we please stop saying Washington has a fumbling problem??? He doesn't have fumbling issues..One was questionable, the other was from being bent half by three players. It was compounded because both happened in the same game. The dude is a beast, and will be an absolute stud this year. He will be a top three back in the PAC-12.

Again he doesn't have a fumbling problem...get over it

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,298 Founders Club
    I like Washington but I hear he has a fumbling problem
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326

Offense line "seasoned and veteran." So?

I'll believe the O line being anything but glorified high schoolers when they prove otherwise. Recruiting for linemen sucks as usual in 2014. Petersen should be expected to take about 10 linemen in 2015 or I wonder big time.

The Dawgs will never be a Top 25 until we have good lines. We are nowhere near a Top 25 team now. (He cares about being in the Top 25? If you're not in the Top 10 more often than not forget about it.)

Our lines have been a rolling train wreck for over a decade. Fix it.

Oline is about development just as much recruiting, Petersen has a proven track record of developing guys and putting them in the nfl. With sark recruiting the lines was only half the problem. He other half was he couldn't develop for shit. I won't judge on recruiting only, but if the oline still sucks on the field in two years that will be concerning.

• GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    I thought Washington fumbled again after the Illinois game? Maybe I'm wrong. Hmmm. I do love his running style. Bruising, contact-seeking type of back with speed to boot.