Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Things we know for sure + questions going into the '14 season

GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
Too many shitty political and/or Super Bowl threads. Can we talk football a little bit?

What we know:

-- The OL is a seasoned, veteran group that can run block pretty well.
-- LBs should be solid at worse, tops in the P12 at best.
-- Shelton is one of the best DLs in the conference and, assuming he can stay healthy, should anchor middle of the D in a great way.
-- WRs are a nice mix of Speed (Ross, Mickens) and strength (Williams and others).
-- We finally have a non-fucktarded coach with a real work ethic and nearly unparalleled success at a lower level.

Questions:

-- QB: who will it be and how productive will he be?
-- RB: who emerges? I like Washington's game a lot but if he keeps fumbling he won't see much of the field. I don't like Callier's game, never really did. Insert Deonte 'not a dry eye in the house' Cooper joke here
-- 1 CB and 1 Safety need to step up and reinforce what we already have
-- Special teams, The Coon had a nice bounceback year and will be missed.

It's nice that the schedule is backloaded. Petersen will be able to work out some of the offensive kinks. I'm guessing we'll go with a pretty run-heavy approach to start. Defense should be pretty dang good as well.

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,298 Founders Club
    Should Pete Rose be allowed in the Hall of Fame?
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    edited January 2014
    Race you were the reason I registered on DM way back in 2007. You've become a parody of yourself. I think all of the losing and shitty hires have driven you mad. I can empathize.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    Gladstone said:

Too many shitty political and/or Super Bowl threads. Can we talk football a little bit?

Christ.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,298 Founders Club
    Gladstone said:

Race you were the reason I registered on DM way back in 2007. You've become a parody of yourself. I think all of the losing and shitty hires have driven you mad. I can empathize.

Thanks for reading ;)

I've always been a parody so now I am a parody of a parody
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    I just meant, Duckfighter illustrated and your anti-Willingham posts (against legions and legions of breathtakingly stupid Ty supporters over on DM) were awesome as hell to read. It just seems like you're burnt out and just post lame one-liners all the time now lol.
  • DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    Stringfellow looked good in the final few games, which was encouraging. Did he take a while to adjust to the playing D1 football, was Sark FS for not playing him, or did he not have much opportunity until Kasen got injured? I don't know, but probably a combination of all three.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

The secondary is the only thing that truly worries me. After Peters, we have nobody who is proven. True freshmen are going to have to play, and they aren't the most heralded guys. Best case scenario, our secondary is league average.

A great DL can help alleviate this, but we need Kikaha (our best DL) to stay healthy and another threat to emerge at the other DE (Littleton, Shirley, Farria). A pass rushing DT would help too. It's not Shelton's game so hopefully Qualls, Mathis and Hudson can improve. Too many times, Kikaha would get good pressure from the edge, but the QB could step up in the pocket because no DT was getting any push. The formula is pressure up the middle AND heat from the edge. Our DL last year did not like abundance, there was heat from the edge, but little push up the middle.

LB's were a disappointment last year, but they do have a high ceiling. We should be getting more out of Shaq.

At QB, I think Miles or Williams will be good. I think it will be Miles. Petersen knows how to develop QB's and those guys have talent.

At RB, Washington is a beast. He had one game where he had fumbling problems, and on the 2nd one he was bent in half. Almost anyone would have fumbled in that situation. Callier is serviceable. Cooper could be much improved after knocking the rust off, but he also could tear his ACL again. Kim says Coleman is good, so I am guessing he sucks.

WR's are great. I hope Kasen isn't hindered too much from his injury though.

I just hope we have a good blocker ready at TE. I'm not an ASJ fan, but we sure could use him.

OL should actually be pretty good. I'm drinking the kool aid and thinking they will be really good without Sark and Cozzetto.

11 wins or the season is a disappointment. We have the talent to compete for the North.

Great write-up.

The three questions will be QB, DB and K/P.

Coons is going to be a huge loss. He was #1 in FG % and 4th in punting (IIRC).

I think Washington will be good. Both of his fumbles occurred a split second before he went to the ground. Also, Coleman will get his chance. Callier will provide depth.

The front 7 should be very good. The Kikaha-Shelton tandem will be outstanding. We need a safety and hopefully Jermaine Kelly can step in next to Peters.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Awfully cold out for September.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    Marcus Peters is the best cb in the game, don't even talk about him. And when you bring in a mediocre receiver like Jaelen Strong that's what you're gonna get.

Speed, speed, speed. Goodwin, Bruns, Ross, and Jarzvybnvindfska highlight a group that has never been better.

These boys are ready to rumble.
  • BlackieBlackie Member Posts: 499
    Gladstone said:

registered in 2007? If you weren't banned from there long before then, you did it wrong.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    edited January 2014
    Race has turned into Eldrick. He was once a legend but has now suffered to many embarrassing losses to MelloDawg, CollegeDoog and Fremont. He is no longer feared. Sure, he'll own a few threads that no one gives a fuck about but when the majors pop up he struggles.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288

Race has turned into Eldrick. He was once a legend but has now suffered to many embarrassing losses to MelloDawg, CollegeDoog and Fremont. He is longer feared. Sure, he'll own a few threads that no one gives a fuck about but when the majors pop up he struggles.

I haven't seen any recent losses suffered to CollegeDoog by anyone on the board lately.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    @mellodawg is like herpes, you never know when he's going to pop up.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    edited January 2014
    they might be seasoned, but does the Oline average 332 across and are they ready to rumble?