Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Emeka Megwa, 2022 4* RB, Keller (Timber Creek), TX (COMMITTED)

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,612
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Woof incoming?

After he takes his scheduled visits, Megwa said he hopes to make his decision.

"I want to make my decision pretty quickly after I that," Megwa noted. "I'm looking for a school that has it all -- education, football, development -- and I want the chance to showcase my talents. Playing time is important, but I just want the chance to win a spot. I don't expect to just be handed the job.
    LFG!
    LFG... I didn’t know we? Did that hear.

@1to392831weretaken woodchuck and mr burns were never coming here.

It’s megwa and hopefully schlofenbaker. We’ll loose two graduates this yr and of the five guys left (fig, Davis, Sunday, berry, adams- needs to move to safety), I have to think someone’s transferring out.
    Just TBSnig out on the latest short-season Hudls, Megwa and Schlenbaker look like the exact same player, with the nod in athleticism going to Megwa. The other two both look quite a bit quicker on film for a change of pace.
    I didn’t look at film but size makes me think you’re right with that one... more elusive, shifty backs? that pic fudgie posted makes this dude look like a brick shithouse. Sign em up!
    He looks big in that picture. In his sophomore highlights he looks small, like a skinny Gaskin with tremendous quickness. In the limited junior clips he looks bigger, but I still thought probably around 5'10". He also doesn't look as quick or fast but the highlights are pretty limited.

I sure as fuck didn't realize he was anything like 6'2" or over 200lbs.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    In his junior film he looks awfully big and is out there trucking dudes.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,856
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Woof incoming?

After he takes his scheduled visits, Megwa said he hopes to make his decision.

"I want to make my decision pretty quickly after I that," Megwa noted. "I'm looking for a school that has it all -- education, football, development -- and I want the chance to showcase my talents. Playing time is important, but I just want the chance to win a spot. I don't expect to just be handed the job.
    LFG!
    LFG... I didn’t know we? Did that hear.

@1to392831weretaken woodchuck and mr burns were never coming here.

It’s megwa and hopefully schlofenbaker. We’ll loose two graduates this yr and of the five guys left (fig, Davis, Sunday, berry, adams- needs to move to safety), I have to think someone’s transferring out.
    Just TBSnig out on the latest short-season Hudls, Megwa and Schlenbaker look like the exact same player, with the nod in athleticism going to Megwa. The other two both look quite a bit quicker on film for a change of pace.
    I didn’t look at film but size makes me think you’re right with that one... more elusive, shifty backs? that pic fudgie posted makes this dude look like a brick shithouse. Sign em up!
    So Megwa gains the coveted Ballz' Big Back stamp of approval?
    Pretty much. Thinking about fucking you off for mentioning that name though...
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    6'1.5"?

I can't believe that.

you mean 5'10"?

I can believe that. We can't have nice things.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,856
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    animate said:

6'1.5"?

I can't believe that.

you mean 5'10"?

I can believe that. We can't have nice things.

*we?
  • Options
    Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    If he's so good, why is he considering Washington? Why doesn't anyone else want him?
  • Options
    bluechipuwrecruitsbluechipuwrecruits Member Posts: 394
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    He has not been cb here.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    Swaye's Wigwam

He has not been cb here.

And?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Beno4Life said:

If he's so good, why is he considering Washington? Why doesn't anyone else want him?

I’ll touch on this in the next few days
  • Options
    sinceredawgsinceredawg Member Posts: 773
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Beno4Life said:

TMI
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813

Tequilla said:

Beno4Life said:

TMI
    https://youtu.be/otCpCn0l4Wo
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,517
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Beno4Life said:

Say it now. Pussy
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    chuck said:

I never watched this guys film because he's a Boner-popper recruit so I just assumed he was mediocre.... wow I was impressed with this kid.

He's Gaskin-esque. A patient runner with a short stride and choppy footwork who does a good job of angling his body to make defenders miss in tight spaces. And for having a short stride he then has the ability to pull away from guys.

Nothing about Sunday's film was mediocre

Berry was meh
    Sunday's junior highlight film was pretty damn mediocre. You could see potential with his frame and strength, but he just looked like a bigger fish bullying his way through a real small pond. I do have to give props to you guys who saw through how slow he was though. He looked way quicker in senior highlights, and obviously improved his speed a lot more as of this spring. .

Bottom line is I'll eat my crow happily. There's no real spin to be found. I was just wrong. I'm excited about him now.
    He’s not slow. He ran a 4.49 at the husky combine. We (sunday detractors) were wrong about his long speed. Hopefully he improves his lateral ability from fall camp.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,612
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I never watched this guys film because he's a Boner-popper recruit so I just assumed he was mediocre.... wow I was impressed with this kid.

He's Gaskin-esque. A patient runner with a short stride and choppy footwork who does a good job of angling his body to make defenders miss in tight spaces. And for having a short stride he then has the ability to pull away from guys.

Nothing about Sunday's film was mediocre

Berry was meh
    Sunday's junior highlight film was pretty damn mediocre. You could see potential with his frame and strength, but he just looked like a bigger fish bullying his way through a real small pond. I do have to give props to you guys who saw through how slow he was though. He looked way quicker in senior highlights, and obviously improved his speed a lot more as of this spring. .

Bottom line is I'll eat my crow happily. There's no real spin to be found. I was just wrong. I'm excited about him now.
    He’s not slow. He ran a 4.49 at the husky combine. We (sunday detractors) were wrong about his long speed. Hopefully he improves his lateral ability from fall camp.
    All my point was. You could see it in the few highlights with him carrying the ball too. He gained a gear...maybe two.

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,456
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I know it's the middle of the store, but why the fuck would any running back want to come here and be a part of this "stable"?

Get like 4 carries a game that determines your future here?

It's a miracle that Gaskin was ever featured after the game he had against Boise in 2015.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,854
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

In Texas, you have two primary high school "organizations" ...

UIL = Public schools

TAPPS = Private schools

UIL is the big shot in Texas and runs up to 6A in terms of leagues ... the biggest leagues you're talking of school enrollments of 5,000+.

TAPPS with the private schools are generally not viewed as comparable to the UIL. It's not uncommon that you'll find college players out of there but it's probably more tied to other sports than the "revenue driver sports."

What you don't get in Texas is the mix of public/private schools like you have in Washington. In Washington high schools, you get the private schools like O'Dea, Eastside Catholic, etc. that are recruiting and the athletic programs at those schools are often some of the best in the state. In Texas, it's the high schools that are recruiting, the funding in the public high schools are quite good, and if you're a major prospect you're playing for a public school.

All of that helps to explain why we're in a good position for Megwa. If you look at his highlights, you can see that he was playing for Nolan Catholic, which is in the high division of TAPPS. Nolan Catholic made it to the State Championship game and lost to Parish Episcopal from Dallas (who they had beat earlier in the season).

In the thread here, it appears as if he's going to spend his Senior season with Keller Timber Creek. I know this area very well. It's a 6A district and is in the same district as perennial Texas HS power Southlake Carroll. Without knowing particulars, I would suspect that the family has lived in Keller and the daily drive to/from home to Ft Worth where Nolan Catholic is located is probably a bit of a pain in the ass (20 minutes each way without traffic, but with daily traffic probably looking at closer to 30-45 minutes each way). The other obviously is to play against high end high school competition and potentially get better exposure for recruiting.

All of that comes back to the question of "how did we get lucky here" ...

As I've noted before, the way that Texas recruiting tends to operate, there is a significant bias to 6A players and depending on the district 5A players are considered. Because there is such a quantity of elite programs recruiting the state, rarely do they need to "go slumming" at the lower levels for talent in the state. In particular, your next tier programs like TCU has had a lot of success over the years recruiting a bit at the lower levels that either were being under recruited or players that needed positional switches/development at the college level (it's not uncommon that you'll find HS QBs at lower levels translate into RBs, WRs, or even DEs in college). That doesn't mean that these types of programs aren't able to recruit at the higher levels, but they aren't going to win a large % of those battles

If you look at what UW has been doing in Texas and in particular how they've been making in roads, they've been getting success by getting into that next tier of player where they are able to identify the player that the major programs are missing. When we recruited Sunday for instance, I noted that his HS in Waco was a 4A school which almost entirely is going to get ignored by most of the key in-state programs and other top programs.

From my perspective, when I look at the offer list of Megwa, I see a similar situation. Notre Dame being somewhat involved makes sense given the Catholic tie-in. However, the ND "brand" will expect that they're able to land a more proven RB prospect as for better or worse, there's probably a bit of an unknown given competition levels. Another way to think about it would be to think about the NFL Draft and how there are always questions about players coming from the lower level and how they'll be able to translate to the NFL level.

But in the end, when you look at the offers that he has, my guess is that you're seeing the bigger programs viewing him as a backup/follow prospect and those for who he's a take at this point probably fall in the category of mediocre. We're most likely the only program that combines being a take with being a conference championship caliber program. In a nutshell, beyond other reasons that UW is attractive as a school to a recruit, UW is probably the best on-field program that he's going to get to be able to commit to. Is it possible that he's able to get one of the bigger schools to come back in towards the end if they have a need? Possible. But I suspect that he's evaluated the situation around him and wants to go where he's wanted versus being a backup plan.

Finally, there's probably a legitimate question that can be made regarding UW's recruiting strategy ... notably how can we expect to compete with the top programs if we're not able to get the players that they are. It's a fair question. I think it's also very clear at this point though that UW's ability to win direct recruiting battles against those programs is more of an exception than the rule. In light of that, we can either waste our time trying to do the same thing over and over with the same results or try something different. What we do know as a program is that we're very good at identifying prospects that have an opportunity to develop over their college careers and find themselves in the NFL. A player like Megwa is a good example of this as the comments of comparing him to Gaskin in his film is a good one. A player like Gaskin isn't going to wow the big programs in recruiting but there's no question that he's capable of playing on that field.

Anyway, that's a TL, DR way of saying that Megwa's a very nice looking player, would be a great get for UW, and is a great example of how players can fall through the cracks a bit when it comes to recruiting.

Do you know any other way?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

In Texas, you have two primary high school "organizations" ...

UIL = Public schools

TAPPS = Private schools

UIL is the big shot in Texas and runs up to 6A in terms of leagues ... the biggest leagues you're talking of school enrollments of 5,000+.

TAPPS with the private schools are generally not viewed as comparable to the UIL. It's not uncommon that you'll find college players out of there but it's probably more tied to other sports than the "revenue driver sports."

What you don't get in Texas is the mix of public/private schools like you have in Washington. In Washington high schools, you get the private schools like O'Dea, Eastside Catholic, etc. that are recruiting and the athletic programs at those schools are often some of the best in the state. In Texas, it's the high schools that are recruiting, the funding in the public high schools are quite good, and if you're a major prospect you're playing for a public school.

All of that helps to explain why we're in a good position for Megwa. If you look at his highlights, you can see that he was playing for Nolan Catholic, which is in the high division of TAPPS. Nolan Catholic made it to the State Championship game and lost to Parish Episcopal from Dallas (who they had beat earlier in the season).

In the thread here, it appears as if he's going to spend his Senior season with Keller Timber Creek. I know this area very well. It's a 6A district and is in the same district as perennial Texas HS power Southlake Carroll. Without knowing particulars, I would suspect that the family has lived in Keller and the daily drive to/from home to Ft Worth where Nolan Catholic is located is probably a bit of a pain in the ass (20 minutes each way without traffic, but with daily traffic probably looking at closer to 30-45 minutes each way). The other obviously is to play against high end high school competition and potentially get better exposure for recruiting.

All of that comes back to the question of "how did we get lucky here" ...

As I've noted before, the way that Texas recruiting tends to operate, there is a significant bias to 6A players and depending on the district 5A players are considered. Because there is such a quantity of elite programs recruiting the state, rarely do they need to "go slumming" at the lower levels for talent in the state. In particular, your next tier programs like TCU has had a lot of success over the years recruiting a bit at the lower levels that either were being under recruited or players that needed positional switches/development at the college level (it's not uncommon that you'll find HS QBs at lower levels translate into RBs, WRs, or even DEs in college). That doesn't mean that these types of programs aren't able to recruit at the higher levels, but they aren't going to win a large % of those battles

If you look at what UW has been doing in Texas and in particular how they've been making in roads, they've been getting success by getting into that next tier of player where they are able to identify the player that the major programs are missing. When we recruited Sunday for instance, I noted that his HS in Waco was a 4A school which almost entirely is going to get ignored by most of the key in-state programs and other top programs.

From my perspective, when I look at the offer list of Megwa, I see a similar situation. Notre Dame being somewhat involved makes sense given the Catholic tie-in. However, the ND "brand" will expect that they're able to land a more proven RB prospect as for better or worse, there's probably a bit of an unknown given competition levels. Another way to think about it would be to think about the NFL Draft and how there are always questions about players coming from the lower level and how they'll be able to translate to the NFL level.

But in the end, when you look at the offers that he has, my guess is that you're seeing the bigger programs viewing him as a backup/follow prospect and those for who he's a take at this point probably fall in the category of mediocre. We're most likely the only program that combines being a take with being a conference championship caliber program. In a nutshell, beyond other reasons that UW is attractive as a school to a recruit, UW is probably the best on-field program that he's going to get to be able to commit to. Is it possible that he's able to get one of the bigger schools to come back in towards the end if they have a need? Possible. But I suspect that he's evaluated the situation around him and wants to go where he's wanted versus being a backup plan.

Finally, there's probably a legitimate question that can be made regarding UW's recruiting strategy ... notably how can we expect to compete with the top programs if we're not able to get the players that they are. It's a fair question. I think it's also very clear at this point though that UW's ability to win direct recruiting battles against those programs is more of an exception than the rule. In light of that, we can either waste our time trying to do the same thing over and over with the same results or try something different. What we do know as a program is that we're very good at identifying prospects that have an opportunity to develop over their college careers and find themselves in the NFL. A player like Megwa is a good example of this as the comments of comparing him to Gaskin in his film is a good one. A player like Gaskin isn't going to wow the big programs in recruiting but there's no question that he's capable of playing on that field.

Anyway, that's a TL, DR way of saying that Megwa's a very nice looking player, would be a great get for UW, and is a great example of how players can fall through the cracks a bit when it comes to recruiting.

Do you know any other way?
    Yes