Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cristobal spotted at Auburn airport

Comments

• Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,517
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

ntxduck said:

Gladstone said:

Oregon won’t hire Sarkisian, they’re the only other fan base as dialed in as UW when it comes to sloppy Steve. Five straight wholly uncompetitive laughers, including the 2011 game honoring the 20th anni of 1991 in which he famously cried and begged Chip not to run the score up too badly.

Chip called off the dogs.

I remember the 2011 game being somewhat close...? Definitely the closest under sark. Although Oregon won rather easily in the end, say 34-17
    I am slightly encouraged that you, a duck, bizarrely started to convince yourself of a falsity, and perhaps your athletic department I’m giving too much credit, but it was without question a wholly uncompetitive laugher. Complete with him literally crying on the sidelines and asking Chip not to humiliate him on the anniversary.
    The only one of those I remember was in Seattle and a night game. LaMike was larunning through Washington like a hot knife through butter, and at some random point either late in the 3rd or damn early in the fourth, Chip most obviously took his foot off the gas. I remember everyone joking on the boards that he did it because he had a man-crush on dreamy Sark. I think Sark was at that tim building up to peak Joey Kitchen Sark banging waitresses two at a tim, so you you know he had his game going. Chip was apparently taken by his charm and boyish good looks.

Anyway, I remember thinking to myself, "run it up, because when they next have the chance they are going to do it to you irregardless."

#pointthefinger
    Yeah that was 2011. I was literally on the sidelines for that game so I remember it extremely well. Sigh.
    I was there too. UW scored to cut it to 7 midway through the 3rd q. So maybe my perspective was warped because previous kelly sark tilts were over at that stage of the game. But younger me def was nervous at that point
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,324
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The only game of The Streak that I remember semi-well was the one where Jack Lockner heroics kept the game close in high-scoring, back and forth fashion, then Oregon blew it out late. I remember this game because I was at the Great Pumpkin Beer Festival at Elysian while the game was going on, getting drunk out of my mind. They had a big screen set up on one side of the brewery, so I kept "going to get more beer" so that I could watch the action every time the group gathered round cheered.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Even though Oregon is backing into the title game I have to think that Mario is wondering about the future of Pac 12 football. You gotta go if they offer. Hell Jimmy would.

The Pac 12 is first timers like Jimmy and Rolo (NOGA about WSU), the recycled like Dorrell, the semi retired like Shaw, and a bunch of dreck like Clay and Bad Chippy.

And Jonathon Smith!

You know, it seriously bothers me that this is true. There are a lot of great things about the Pac 12. It's just that football isn't one of them.
    So funny back in 2004-2008 the Pac had Pete Carroll, Chip Kelly (at his peak), and Jim Harbaugh (at his peak). It was a great conference with great teams and coaches. In fact the coaches were so good that they got hired in the NFL and a couple of them got to the Super Bowl.

No fucking SEC coach is going to coach in the NFL, nor have they in the past with any success.

Stuff is cyclical, but just 10 years ago the Pac had the most innovative offenses and coaches in the game.
    The Pac 12 was the premier conference in the land starting when Jim Owens invented west coast football

John McKay went on to Tampa Bay and built an expansion team into a NFC title game loser

Vermeil went to the Eagles and lost a Super Bowl then won one with the Rams

The NFL wanted James

John Robinson went to the Rams

The Pac 12 secret was the quarterbacks and the innovation. Bill Walsh coached Stanford twice.

The SEC turned the tied in 92 with the conference title game and by the end og the 90's the SEC was winning titles while WSU, UCLA, and Stanford were losing the Rose Bowl

I wanted to argue about SEC coaches not going to the NFL with success but I can't think of any that did. Its still a league where you want to be the 20 year legend if you can

Spurrior and Saban failed in the NFL
    I've had a few people give me odd looks when I say this, but when I was a kid, the Rose Bowl seemed to me to belong to the Pac. So much so that I remember me and some others thinking that it was a hinderance to the conference to be tied to a bowl that was committed to the big, strong and fucking slow af Backwards Big 10. The old people loved the pageantry and tradition of Michigan and all that shit, but it was a killer for NC hopes unless things really worked out, which they rarely did.

That is all to say that I always fully expected whatever P10 team showed up to win the RB. It felt automatic and birthright. Of course, now I know that was just an era, and eras change.

The other thing was that the P10 did well when they played good teams OOC. USC especially always represented well, other than that 14 year losing streak to the Irish, which I honestly can't explain because it wasn't that ND was good or SC bad all those years.

And QBs. There was a tim when NFL QBs more often than not came out of this conference.
    The first four years of that streak were Tollner for USC just after Robinson I. He was terrible. Then you had Larry Smith and Robinson II who were largely underachieving.

Meanwhile the Irish played in a New Year's Day bowl nine straight years from '87-'95.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    haie said:

JHop doesn't bother me at all compared to Slickhawk and Fentress.

As a matter of fact Seattle area quooks like slick12 and scody are the primary reason I would like the Eugene druids to overrun that athletic department.

haie said:

Oregon's last hires were Taggert and Christo, so now they're going to get Urban and force him to recruit to Eugene when he'll have LA and Austin as choices?

Skeptical.

I agree with you about saying no to Texas and yes to Oregon just on blue blood bases; but the recruiting wouldn't be the issue. He is his own center of gravity for recruiting purposes, and Mario has shown he can do it.

They're rigth on top of Cali. Just like Oklahomo is right on top of Texas. They can get kids to come. I know this is your fundamental theory of everything, but your version of Iron Laws was always as bad as Auburndawg's.

Urban MF Meyer could take over Alaska Fairbanks and get kids from Louisiana to come play for him.
    My Iron Law is their track record of previous head coaching hires this decade.

They've been expected to make this big hire for 8 years now but it's been 2 assistants and a program restorer, if you can even call him that.
    Oregon’s never going to have coaching stability again. This isn’t 1987. If they get lucky with a hire so be it but that dude is bolting for a real conference when the opportunity arises. Just like every other school out here sans USC. Hiring someone you think is a lifer just because he’s a lifer will fuck you and should be one of your last considerations. Losers mentality.

Four of Oregon’s last five coaches have won the conference and a major bowl game. William being the only exception.

It’s not a bad set up but the AD has to be creative and that won’t change for the foreseeable future nor for anyone else out here.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,517
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

ntxduck said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

ntxduck said:

Gladstone said:

Oregon won’t hire Sarkisian, they’re the only other fan base as dialed in as UW when it comes to sloppy Steve. Five straight wholly uncompetitive laughers, including the 2011 game honoring the 20th anni of 1991 in which he famously cried and begged Chip not to run the score up too badly.

I remember the 2011 game being somewhat close...? Definitely the closest under sark. Although Oregon won rather easily in the end, say 34-17
    I am slightly encouraged that you, a duck, bizarrely started to convince yourself of a falsity, and perhaps your athletic department I’m giving too much credit, but it was without question a wholly uncompetitive laugher. Complete with him literally crying on the sidelines and asking Chip not to humiliate him on the anniversary.
    The only one of those I remember was in Seattle and a night game. LaMike was larunning through Washington like a hot knife through butter, and at some random point either late in the 3rd or damn early in the fourth, Chip most obviously took his foot off the gas. I remember everyone joking on the boards that he did it because he had a man-crush on dreamy Sark. I think Sark was at that tim building up to peak Joey Kitchen Sark banging waitresses two at a tim, so you you know he had his game going. Chip was apparently taken by his charm and boyish good looks.

Anyway, I remember thinking to myself, "run it up, because when they next have the chance they are going to do it to you irregardless."

#pointthefinger
    Yeah that was 2011. I was literally on the sidelines for that game so I remember it extremely well. Sigh.
    I was there too. UW scored to cut it to 7 midway through the 3rd q. So maybe my perspective was warped because previous kelly sark tilts were over at that stage of the game. But younger me def was nervous at that point
    We? played at Autzen in 2009 and it was close at the half. I think Cal ended beating Oregon that year or coming very close and Doogs on Dawgman were saying Holt created the blueprint to beating Oregon.
    2009 was in Seattle. Chips first year. You’re thinking of 2010. Keith prices first start. Was close at half but Oregon blew the game open in the 3rd quarter.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited December 2020

Even though Oregon is backing into the title game I have to think that Mario is wondering about the future of Pac 12 football. You gotta go if they offer. Hell Jimmy would.

The Pac 12 is first timers like Jimmy and Rolo (NOGA about WSU), the recycled like Dorrell, the semi retired like Shaw, and a bunch of dreck like Clay and Bad Chippy.

And Jonathon Smith!

You know, it seriously bothers me that this is true. There are a lot of great things about the Pac 12. It's just that football isn't one of them.
    So funny back in 2004-2008 the Pac had Pete Carroll, Chip Kelly (at his peak), and Jim Harbaugh (at his peak). It was a great conference with great teams and coaches. In fact the coaches were so good that they got hired in the NFL and a couple of them got to the Super Bowl.

No fucking SEC coach is going to coach in the NFL, nor have they in the past with any success.

Stuff is cyclical, but just 10 years ago the Pac had the most innovative offenses and coaches in the game.
    The Pac 12 was the premier conference in the land starting when Jim Owens invented west coast football

John McKay went on to Tampa Bay and built an expansion team into a NFC title game loser

Vermeil went to the Eagles and lost a Super Bowl then won one with the Rams

The NFL wanted James

John Robinson went to the Rams

The Pac 12 secret was the quarterbacks and the innovation. Bill Walsh coached Stanford twice.

The SEC turned the tied in 92 with the conference title game and by the end og the 90's the SEC was winning titles while WSU, UCLA, and Stanford were losing the Rose Bowl

I wanted to argue about SEC coaches not going to the NFL with success but I can't think of any that did. Its still a league where you want to be the 20 year legend if you can

Spurrior and Saban failed in the NFL
    I've had a few people give me odd looks when I say this, but when I was a kid, the Rose Bowl seemed to me to belong to the Pac. So much so that I remember me and some others thinking that it was a hinderance to the conference to be tied to a bowl that was committed to the big, strong and fucking slow af Backwards Big 10. The old people loved the pageantry and tradition of Michigan and all that shit, but it was a killer for NC hopes unless things really worked out, which they rarely did.

That is all to say that I always fully expected whatever P10 team showed up to win the RB. It felt automatic and birthright. Of course, now I know that was just an era, and eras change.

The other thing was that the P10 did well when they played good teams OOC. USC especially always represented well, other than that 14 year losing streak to the Irish, which I honestly can't explain because it wasn't that ND was good or SC bad all those years.

And QBs. There was a tim when NFL QBs more often than not came out of this conference.
    The first four years of that streak were Tollner for USC just after Robinson I. He was terrible. Then you had Larry Smith and Robinson II who were largely underachieving.

Meanwhile the Irish played in a New Year's Day bowl nine straight years from '87-'95.
    Certainly most of what occurred during Holtz' tenure is mostly explainable. But there were a few years there when ND was beatable, and especially considering that rivalry games are typically back and forth if the opponents are even remotely on the same talent level. Plus, you have a few Gerry Faust teams in in that '83 to '96 run too.

And, as most people outside their fanbase know, ND has been invited to a few NY6 bowels with records that would prevent any other program from getting there. So, I still hold to the notion that a USC 14-year losing streak to ND was unexpected, to put it mildly.

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2020

Here is why the Pac-12 sucks:

The Big Ten distributes $23 million more per year to each team. SEC at $13 million. Big-12 is at $6 million more.

That’s why Michigan State pays Mel Tucker $5 mil and other conferences have $2 million coordinators. Kawasaki is the only one currently getting more than a milli in this poverty conference.

Don’t worry, sure Purdue gets $55 million while Oregon and Washington get $32 million. But each Pac-12 school has 1/13 equity in the Pac-12 Network, which Larry Scott has determined has a valuation of $5 billion.

Billion with a B. That’s right, B as in broke-ass-bitch. I’m not kidding. Larry thinks that he can find a VC dumb enough to take a 10% stake and every school would get a one time $38 million payment.

The Pac-12 also sucks at getting basketball money, because none of you fuckers can win tournament games and that’s how the NCAA distributes the money. The NCAA is like those who like a good cervix stab, the deeper you go the more reward. Oregon has had to carry the dead weight for the wonderful reward of equally sharing revenue. Oregon’s tourney runs subsidize whatever the fuck Wazzu does, it’s like they were still paying Ernie Kent.

What can you do with more money to be better at football? I’ll take your suggestions.

Part two, how Title IX and debt service are helping the demise might be written if anyone gives a fuck. Since I’m guessing no, here’s a quick summary: some schools spent too much money on facilities without adequate support from their rich old people. Shitty sports like baseball lead to more Title IX women’s teams, which burn money like their sand volleyball pit is filled with retail priced diamonds.

Very valid points. Biggest long term issue is the best coaches will look at the pac12 like a Mwc or confusa job. As they should. They are so far behind financially but that’s only starting to manifest itself here going forward. Sparty stealing a coach is going to be the new norm.

All that being said, out side of the SEC, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio state and notre dame (which is questionable atm) nobody else can get out of their own way and consistently win at a high level. Texas, Michigan, Florida state and penn state really should be better though. Amazing they aren’t.
  • Options
    DodgyBlokeDodgyBloke Member Posts: 957
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Remember when Sark was on the radio saying he planned to be around her for a Loooooooong time after talking about Don Jame legacy and then left for USC a week later. Yea me to
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Remember when Sark was on the radio saying he planned to be around her for a Loooooooong time after talking about Don Jame legacy and then left for USC a week later. Yea me to

Shout out @PatHadenFS !
    I was so excited when the news dropped.
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,599
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

ntxduck said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

ntxduck said:

Gladstone said:

#pointthefinger
    We? played at Autzen in 2009 and it was close at the half. I think Cal ended beating Oregon that year or coming very close and Doogs on Dawgman were saying Holt created the blueprint to beating Oregon.
    2007 and 2009 were at Husky Stadium.

2011 also. Oregon won fairly easily, say 34-17. That was the closest game during the streak, iirc.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    thechatch said:

ntxduck said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

ntxduck said:

Gladstone said:

#pointthefinger

2011 also. Oregon won fairly easily, say 34-17. That was the closest game during the streak, iirc.
    Closest game was the VA game in 2015
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,599
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

thechatch said:

ntxduck said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

ntxduck said:

Gladstone said:

#pointthefinger

Closest game was the VA game in 2015
    Ah you’re right. Id forgotten about that.