Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Worst offensive play calling in a decade

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I honestly don’t get the people freaking out at all.

They had a conservative run first game plan in a game with shitty weather and a completely new QB. It worked. If special teams doesn’t spot the beavs 10 points we aren’t even having this discussion.

And for all of the hand wringing about the defense they gave up 14 points. There clearly is stuff to improve on but I don’t think anyone was under the impression this was anything other than a transition year.

I'm not on board with the transition year idea. I agree otherwise. Kwat and Lake defenses have always been prone to a couple of series per game where they turn into a sieve but otherwise dominate. Thats 14 points on them and thorough domination otherwise..

The receivers left points on the field with drops, and Bynum's 3rd down drop on the first drive was almost certainly a 10 or 14 point swing.

The offense ground out 279 rushing yards on a cold, wet night. Fix a couple of unforced errors and drops and it was about a 40-14 game. Not that bad.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

They had a conservative run first game plan in a game with shitty weather and a completely new QB. It worked. If special teams doesn’t spot the beavs 10 points we aren’t even having this discussion.

And for all of the hand wringing about the defense they gave up 14 points. There clearly is stuff to improve on but I don’t think anyone was under the impression this was anything other than a transition year.

Transition years are for losers hth
    Constructive
    great programs reload btw

• Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,942
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Constructive

LSU just won a natty and they suck now, guess they aren’t a great program

Constructive

LSU just won a natty and they suck now, guess they aren’t a great program
    They suck rn hth
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

UW has been a loser program for half decade
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,604
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

dnc said:

I still liked it more than a Bush Hamdan offense. But yeah, that second half was ugly. The lack of any semblance of a big play or downfield passing game is going to kill us.

Fuck that I'd take Bush back in a heartbeat over that dreckfest.

@Babushka >>> Bush >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> JonDonFuckingDreckfest

The de-evolution of our offense is complete.
    I liked that Donovan wasn't afraid to nut up and take the easy yards when we needed them. Too often under Bush we'd be in third and short and pull some low percentage play out of our ass instead of just taking the first down by force. The use of the fullback was a nice touch too.

Now the second half autopilot game plan of Newton between the guards was fucking stupid. And only letting Morris throw downfield 2-3 times all game is a concerning foreshadowing against better teams. If we really are as one-dimensional as we looked last night, then yeah, we're fucking toast.
    Sark and Pete loved to get cute and start passing when the run game dominated, I like that we just went with the run. Builds a physical mentality.

Also, our QBs pretty much suck or are average. Morris looked accurate on several important throws, such as 3rd and 8 from UW's endzone to Ty Jones.

But the idea of unleashing some Joe Burrow aggressive downfield attack with Morris is just stupid.

Arizona should be interesting, McGrew went over 100 and Salvon had 90. So UW will run again (trigger alert.)
  • HonestDonHonestDon Member Posts: 97
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Up Votes

Fuck off PB. Seriously you dumbass. Give me a reason I’m wrong. Look at the tape. The plays are total shit.

Does anyone have game tape?
  • POSJohnDonovanPOSJohnDonovan Member Posts: 38
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    chuck said:

I honestly don’t get the people freaking out at all...... Fix a couple of unforced errors and drops and it was about a 40-14 game. Not that bad.

Not a bad game, are you out of your mind?! Against the worst team in the conference and your satisfied 'because they ran the ball'? Watch the friggin tape.

This is what we get to look forward to until he's canned

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2594043-john-donovan-fired-by-penn-state-latest-comments-and-reaction
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,604
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

Run D always gets off to a slow start it seems. I would think it would improve and likely will, but we are in trouble without Tuli and Latu.
    Bowman and Sirmon get blown out of virtually every play I re-watched. These guys cannot fight off blocks or bring down ball carriers.

In terms of grades, Dylan Morris is class valedictorian compared to Bowman and Sirmon, who are in detention.

Just some perspective. Also, the OL was great in the run game.

Tupatula and Eddie need to start
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 3,997
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

dnc said:

I still liked it more than a Bush Hamdan offense. But yeah, that second half was ugly. The lack of any semblance of a big play or downfield passing game is going to kill us.

I liked that Donovan wasn't afraid to nut up and take the easy yards when we needed them. Too often under Bush we'd be in third and short and pull some low percentage play out of our ass instead of just taking the first down by force. The use of the fullback was a nice touch too.

Now the second half autopilot game plan of Newton between the guards was fucking stupid. And only letting Morris throw downfield 2-3 times all game is a concerning foreshadowing against better teams. If we really are as one-dimensional as we looked last night, then yeah, we're fucking toast.
    Sark and Pete loved to get cute and start passing when the run game dominated, I like that we just went with the run. Builds a physical mentality.
    Unless a meathead is doing it. Then it's FS.
    dtd said:

dnc said:

Unless a meathead is doing it. Then it's FS.
    Own him
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,047
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I like the way Morris looked coming out of the pocket a couple times. A good run and a nice side arm to someone I cant remember maybe bynum
  • HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 992
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye said:

I like to overreact after a new HC's first game which was a win.

You knew here?
    If I was would I know to use one of the board's classic lines?
  • HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 992
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

See now I wrote basically the same thing but was downvoted to oblivion and yet you are upvoted to eternity.

• DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2020
    You know it’s actually quite funny, Rob Bowron and his partner Bryant Conger have been calling him Josh Donovan since the hiring in January. Every now and then they realize the mistake but they never remember the next time they discuss Jon Don.