Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Morris looks fine to me

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Morris is already better than Browning or Eason cook it

I’m on board. I already like Donovan and Jimmy’s offensive scheme better than Pete’s too.
    Against the capybaras it looked pretty shitty
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    FireCohen said:

I’m on board. I already like Donovan and Jimmy’s offensive scheme better than Pete’s too.
    That should be as conservative as you ever see it again
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Just the fact that there aren’t a million pre snap motions make me like it
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,721
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

In two games, he appears to be our? most composed pocket QB in a long tim.

He moves around in the pocket well. That’s something that QB’s either have or they don’t. They rarely get markedly better at it.
    I just hope they don’t try to teach him spinning in to defenders Pete did with brownsox
    Morris hasn’t really had a game where he has been under real pressure for the duration, but the early returns that he looks calm in the pocket and makes good decisions on the fly are encouraging albeit with a limited sample size. So far definitely better on those fronts than his two predecessors.
    Huff is proving to be a decent coach or just recruited well. Can’t tell yet, given the OL is fucking massive. Would be nice to see them play a USC or something
    An Oline this big that can also run, pull, and handle speed rushers = good recruiting. It looks like the coaching us catching up too though. One big improvement I've seen, though the red zone struggles obscure it a bit, is that UW has been able to consistently get positive yards against stacked boxes on obvious running downs. We're not seeing many of the plays I've come to expect where the backfield is flooded with the wrong color jerseys and the play is dead before the RB gets the ball. Every play isn't going for 4+ yards, but almost all of them are going forward. Thats a big improvement in itself.
    When I watched the highlights we were doing kind of shitty when we pulled. Ale has a hard time getting there quick enough.
    I would like to see someone a little more nimble on the outside runs where Ale was the lead. I think he gets there OK but it's hard to be an effective blocker when you're running that hard just to get there. As it is he's basically a big, scary human running toward the defense and forcing them to dodge. He's not real hard for a LB or DB to dodge though.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,806
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    FireCohen said:

10-15 mph winds in a downpour will do that
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,611
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

dnc said:

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

In two games, he appears to be our? most composed pocket QB in a long tim.

He moves around in the pocket well. That’s something that QB’s either have or they don’t. They rarely get markedly better at it.
    I just hope they don’t try to teach him spinning in to defenders Pete did with brownsox
    Morris hasn’t really had a game where he has been under real pressure for the duration, but the early returns that he looks calm in the pocket and makes good decisions on the fly are encouraging albeit with a limited sample size. So far definitely better on those fronts than his two predecessors.
    Huff is proving to be a decent coach or just recruited well. Can’t tell yet, given the OL is fucking massive. Would be nice to see them play a USC or something
    Huff is position coach of the year so far. His unit is balling, and they're not super old/experienced. Really encouraging going forward.
    Yes. a very pleasant surprise. The OL has been very solid. I have been a critic of Huff's ability to get his players on the same page but they look pretty damn good so far. No weak spot across the line.
    imagine a blocking scheme you dont need a MENSA pin for
    This. I mentioned it a few times over the last year or two, but there was mention that Huff hated Pete’s run blocking schemes and felt it led to blown assignments.

And that’s exactly what we saw. Game after game.

This year the run blocking schemes are simpler and the line is killing it. Great protection and pockets. Great push. Just locking guys up. And that’s with 3 new starters.

Love to see it.
    I dare anyone to rewatch film of last year's offense. It looks so horrible. What we are doing now scheme/personnel is just way better.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,166
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'll start worrying more the first time Morris sacks himself, a la Brownsox.

Won’t happen because it’s not Pete’s paralysis by over analysis offense.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2020
    chuck said:

FireCohen said:

14-24 for 140, including multiple drops that threw away points or at least first downs, on a shitty night where you ran for 270 yards, doesn't look shitty for the scheme or the play caller.
    idk maybe i can't handle the ups and downs of this board. caz last week i can remember people wanting jimmy fired at the 50 yards line
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

chuck said:

FireCohen said:

14-24 for 140, including multiple drops that threw away points or at least first downs, on a shitty night where you ran for 270 yards, doesn't look shitty for the scheme or the play caller.
    idk maybe i can't handle the ups and downs of this board. caz last week i can remember people wanting jimmy fired at the 50 yards line
    Bi-polar is a hell of a drug.

I wasn't one if the critics but I got it then and still do. Most of them were just reacting to a surprisingly scary game against pretty weak competition. There were some mitigating factors worth considering that few here were in the mood to consider at the time.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,184
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

FireCohen said:

We scored 3 pts in the second half.

I’m loving the AZ win as much as everyone else, but let’s not rewrite history after 1 game. Offense looked awesome on Saturday (owing a lot to the fact that we actually threw the ball). Offense looked stale and outdated against the beav. It is what it is.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    doogville said:

chuck said:

FireCohen said:

I’m loving the AZ win as much as everyone else, but let’s not rewrite history after 1 game. Offense looked awesome on Saturday (owing a lot to the fact that we actually threw the ball). Offense looked stale and outdated against the beav. It is what it is.
    Rewrite history? Huh?

270 yards rushing and 140 passing is decent output regardless of what you think you saw. When you factor in that the best defense for the beav was dropped pass, it was a wet, windy, night game and game one for a freshman QB behind a mostly new OL it looks a little better. It didn't look great, and the passing numbers leave a little to be desired, but arguing in hindsight that it was a bad first outing for the scheme seems dumb.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,184
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

doogville said:

chuck said:

FireCohen said:

Rewrite history? Huh?

270 yards rushing and 140 passing is decent output regardless of what you think you saw. When you factor in that the best defense for the beav was dropped pass, it was a wet, windy, night game and game one for a freshman QB behind a mostly new OL it looks a little better. It didn't look great, and the passing numbers leave a little to be desired, but arguing in hindsight that it was a bad first outing for the scheme seems dumb.
    Except 140 yards passing isn’t decent, and you know that. We can ascribe a bunch of factors as to why the playcalling/scheme left a lot to be desired against OSU (new qb, rain, etc), but it doesn’t change the result on the field. The scheme yielded a whopping 5.9 yards per pass attempt. That’s not good. (And OSU is one of the worst teams in the conference). Why do we have to now act like that was a good performance?

Thankfully, they opened up the playbook against AZ and things looked great. I expect we see a lot more of that going forward, in terms of run/pass, pushing the ball downfield, trying to hit explosive plays, etc. Which is great! The offense we saw on Saturday (albeit also against a crappy opponent) is capable of winning the conference.