Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Magic Shrooms now legal in Oregon

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,479 Founders Club
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972

I would have voted for this one in WA.

Yes, we? definitely need more addicts as a nation.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

Is what we're doing now changing any of that? Endless dump of money and pain for little result.
    edited November 2020

Is what we're doing now changing any of that? Endless dump of money and pain for little result.
    Shrooms aren’t that big of a deal. Natural medicine. Same as weed.

I’ve seen one of my best friends from college have his life ruined by meth and I’m extremely biased against it. There are zero positive results using meth. I can’t imagine a life that ever gets better by starting meth. Which then leads to crimes to support the habit. Which leads to my friend being in prison periodically. Use, rob people, use, rob, finally get caught robbing and it’s back to Stayton.

I don’t have any real experience with heroin, so I won’t comment on it other than recovering addicts say it’s a horrible drug to need and the withdrawal sickness can make death feel like a better option.

Having done cocaine recreationally in my early 20s, it’s not really that big a deal to me and it’s not really physically addictive but I don’t see an upside to decriminalizing it, either, although I’m not opposed to it.

Shrooms aren’t that big of a deal. Natural medicine. Same as weed. I’ve seen one of my best friends from college have his life ruined by meth and I’m extremely biased against it. There are zero positive results using meth. I can’t imagine a life that ever gets better by starting meth. Which then leads to crimes to support the habit.

I don’t have any real experience with heroin, so I won’t comment on it other than recovering addicts say it’s a horrible drug to need and the withdrawal sickness can make death feel like a better option.

Having done cocaine recreationally in my early 20s, it’s not really that big a deal to me and it’s not really physically addictive but I don’t see an upside to decriminalizing it, either.
    I don't want anyone doing any of those, meth in particular. But they do. My only point is, what good is locking up these people? My mind has changed dramatically on this over the last 10 years.

Shrooms aren’t that big of a deal. Natural medicine. Same as weed. I’ve seen one of my best friends from college have his life ruined by meth and I’m extremely biased against it. There are zero positive results using meth. I can’t imagine a life that ever gets better by starting meth. Which then leads to crimes to support the habit.

Having done cocaine recreationally in my early 20s, it’s not really that big a deal to me and it’s not really physically addictive but I don’t see an upside to decriminalizing it, either.
    I don't want anyone doing any of those, meth in particular. But they do. My only point is, what good is locking up these people? My mind has changed dramatically on this over the last 10 years.
    Most aren’t in jail for possession. Most are in jail for the crimes they commit to gain possession of either heroin or meth. I’d add crack too, but in my limited but existent experience with drugs in Oregon, crack doesn’t seem to be nearly as big a problem as are meth and heroin.

Most aren’t in jail for possession. Most are in jail for the crimes they commit to gain possession of either heroin or meth. I’d add crack too, but in my limited but existent experience with drugs in Oregon, crack doesn’t seem to be nearly as big a problem as are meth and heroin.
    Good, let's separate victim-less crimes from the others.

I disagree on meth and heroin use being victimless crimes. Plenty of victims involved in making, distributing, and selling them, and many addicts have families and friends impacted by their use.

I realize severe alcoholism has the same impact on friends and family, but that’s another topic.

I disagree on meth and heroin use being victimless crimes. Plenty of victims involved in making, distributing, and selling them, and many addicts have families and friends impacted by their use.

I realize severe alcoholism has the same impact on friends and family, but that’s another topic.

Fare poont on the demand stream. As far as I can tell, this doesn't change anything for dealers.

Fare poont on the demand stream. As far as I can tell, this doesn't change anything for dealers.
    At worst for them, things stay the same. At best, more people use now that there isn’t a real legal deterrent against it. No downside for dealers and producers. The few people that do go to jail for possession alone now will be on the outside using, too.

Doesn’t really matter much anyhow since police forces in the cities here are getting smaller, anyhow.

2021 should be a big one for the meth and heroin trade.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,104 Standard Supporter
    Crack is equal to or worse than meth because they need it far more often. Average number of uses to addiction is 1. I dealt with this shit for almost 30 years. Most of the ones that cleaned up did it in jail. If they managed not to do serious jail time they died from it. Heroin too. Takes a lot longer to kill unless one of the nasty diseases from needles gets ya. Angel dust? Holy shit that stuff is bad news. It's all bad news. Legal weed has spawned an entire new crime industry around itself.
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,974

Making, distributing, and selling would only become safer if they were legalized.

While there are people who are impacted by those who use these drugs, it is not the usage itself that hurts other people.

Making, distributing, and selling would only become safer if they were legalized.

While there are people who are impacted by those who use these drugs, it is not the usage itself that hurts other people.
    Yes, let’s completely legalize heroin and meth, tax it making it more expensive, and make it widely available. Brilliant plan.

We don’t have near enough addicts now.

I also strongly disagree with the second part of your post. I’m guessing you’re trying to make some semantical point about use versus actions while using and I don’t buy that line of thought.

• Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,974
    I've never seen any evidence that legalization leads to normalization or increased abuse. And even if so, on the grounds of the principle that I should own my own body, there should be no legal consequences for what I put into it.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    Legalizing shrooms is a big win we should all be for. Cocaine? Fuck yeah, let it snow.

Can't say the same about heroine. There's no way to enjoy that recreationally and its use has absolutely decimated communities. This will also further cripple law enforcement from being able to clean up a city that is already infested with zombie addicts as it is. Public camping and heroine use is now legal, so welcome to Portland and now we can't legally make you leave.
    edited November 2020

I've never seen any evidence that legalization leads to normalization or increased abuse. And even if so, on the grounds of the principle that I should own my own body, there should be no legal consequences for what I put into it.

You think less people will be meth and heroin addicts if it’s legalized and widely available? I’ve been in jail. Many of the people there are for crimes they committed trying to feed their habits and are mostly good people when sober. That was the one thing I actually learned from lock-up and it was a surprise. The ones who were actually were arrested for using, and not stealing or robbing to support their using, were people like with an alcohol DUI.

Put what you want into your body, I don’t care, but you make a very simplistic argument for a very complex issue.

• Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,520 Founders Club
    Kaepsknee said:

Kaepsknee said:

I generally don’t think Oregonians make good governing decisions, but they nailed this. As usual the west coast is ahead of the curve.

Noted idealogue weighs in. This was not the time to push this through. Once the eviction moratorium expires Jan 1st, there will be thousands more on the streets in Oregon.

Normalizing usage of highly addictive drugs like meth, Coke, heroin and oxy will destroy current solvent families and put more on the street in addition. Clearly you haven’t spent much time in our Cities on the West Coast other than the ‘Burbs to truly believe this is a good idea.

Property crimes, burglaries and home invasions will explode. Most property crimes now aren’t prosecuted and burglary suspects are mostly released on OR to never show up in court.

Believe the people that say they wish to see it all burn down.
    Why would burglaries and home invasions explode? Addicts that do that type of shit aren’t worried whether the drugs are decriminalized or not. They just want their fix.

I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or not. I’ll leave that to others but thinking this will create more crime is pretty stupid.

bUT tHE WaR oN dRuGs!!!

The battle cry for every millennial that watches a shitty Vice documentary.

Guess what happens when demand becomes more than supply. The suppliers ramp up their efforts. And then you end up with more addicts. When you have more addicts, you have more crime. Crimes that currently are rarely prosecuted. In Portland proper, crime is already up almost 200% for the year. It has little to do with riot crimes as few of those are prosecuted. It has more to do with the pandemic and the Economic carnage caused.

If you're OK with innocents suffering more due to dimestore Policy, just say that. And these faery tail rehab centers that don’t exist, never will. As Marijuana receipts aren’t close enough to fund them.

Bit of a reply fail as I meant to reply to both you and The Marshall
    Addict levels remain the same no matter the laws.