Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Why the mess in Portland matters to the globe

LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,300
Douglas Murray, British thinker and author, is on a tour of the chaos of the west coast. He and Bret Weinstein have a discussion about the train wreck that is Portland and other west coast cities.

Super enlightening but ultimately traumatizing to realize the trajectory we’re on.

https://youtu.be/E7LMSZ2xsRs

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,959
    Murray is an interesting dude. I find that I agree with a lot of what he says.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,300

This pod triggered me to buy his book, really insightful guy.
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    Just go by Union Station and within the surrounding 3 block area all you smell is human piss, BO, and shit. And that was last year riding the train to a few Mariner games. Haven’t been walking there since but have driven by as recently as two months ago.
    Homelessness is a symptom.

Allowing dissenting journalists lives to the threatened, allowing personal property to be destroyed or stolen, etc.

Its watching the early days of a totalitarian uprising
  • hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    I've listened for a few of the Darkhorse podcasts. Pretty good. Never thought I'd find someone who worked at Evergreen reasonable.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,550 Standard Supporter
    Bottom line: Portland is a third world shithole.

Not the hottest take until you dig into the reasons and also understand it’s coming from an ashamed bleeding heart liberal and a well traveled gay British guy
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,664 Standard Supporter
    Does this mean Portland takes the lead over Seattle

We? better get a new coach

Not the hottest take until you dig into the reasons and also understand it’s coming from an ashamed bleeding heart liberal and a well traveled gay British guy
    Just listened to the whole pod

Perhaps the best analysis I’ve ever heard. Two super smart guys breaking it down.

Equal parts enlightening and terrifying
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,550 Standard Supporter

Perhaps the best analysis I’ve ever heard. Two super smart guys breaking it down.

Yes. Exactly. Must listen stuff.

Weinstein is a gift from real god.

Yes. Exactly. Must listen stuff.

Weinstein is a gift from real god.
    WeinsteinS

I’m one hour into Douglas Murray with Eric Weinstein and I think I’m in for a ride
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,203 Swaye's Wigwam
    Weinstein: I don’t like centrists because they are tepid
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,389 Founders Club
    edited October 2020

I knew little about him, and had this impression of him as a conservative who perhaps was tinged with a racist outlook. That was a very unfair assessment for me to make, but it was based on things I heard and read. But when I heard him on Rogan, and then yesterday with Weinstein, I loved the guy. I'm totally on board. Brilliant thinker, big balls, and much foresight.

He travels the USA and can see things as an outsider. I winced when he said it is shocking how poorly educated the vast majority of Americans are and what that portends for our future.

I agree when he said that the future of the world hinges greatly on how America fares.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Bob_C said:

@MelloDawg true??!?

I knew little about him, and had this impression of him as a conservative who perhaps was tinged with a racist outlook. That was a very unfair assessment for me to make, but it was based on things I heard and read. But when I heard him on Rogan, and then yesterday with Weinstein, I loved the guy. I'm totally on board. Brilliant thinker, big balls, and much foresight.

He travels the USA and can see things as an outsider. I winced when he said it is shocking how poorly educated the vast majority of Americans are and what that portends for our future.

I agree when he said that the future of the world hinges greatly on how America fares.
    I picked up on him on youtube when watching a talk with Peterson, whom I also like but find to be a little more ... manic? Anyway I started with Murray and am hooked. I want to find the time to read some of his work. Right now, all I have are his podcasts and interviews.

He's incredibly bright, obviously. He's changed my views, or at least forced me to question my views, on a dozen or so topics, and confirmed my views on many others. He says what a lot of smart people are afraid to say, but without the bombast and a political agenda. He is, for me, kind of an oracle of the truth, wherever it may fall on the spectrum of political, religious or economic beliefs. He's pretty clear. Brilliant social commentary.

edited October 2020

In a debate about "Wild Olympics", my mother-in-law tried to correct me when I said the national parks are public land. She comes from a family, and an era, where you believe what you've been told to believe, you stick to it to the death, and even make some shit up in your head along the way to confirm what you have committed to believe.

She's a woman of otherwise above (just above)-average intelligence. My mother used to pass Green Peace-printed checks in Aberdeen in the 80s (that was fun). My father is as far right as she is left. They both say and believe objectively rather crazy things.

Weinstein was banned from Fagbook for no given reason except the old arbitrary "Violation of Community Standards" (been there about 15 times). These are dark tims. When I feel almost compelled to vote for a guy like Trump, it's scary.

Weinstein? Of the Harvey Weinteins?
  • MelloDawgMelloDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,521 Swaye's Wigwam
    doogie said:

Bob_C said:

@MelloDawg true??!?
    We are. Being a perpetual fence sitter doesn’t allow me much enthusiasm for either side.