Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The City of Seattle’s Relationship With UW & UW Football

124»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

When I was a kid down on the Harb, the Huskies were the game in town. The Hawks were a fledgling expansion franchise struggling for respect.

Things really changed with the Hawks in '83 when they beat Don Shula and the Miami Dolphins. To me, that first (I think it was their first) playoff run really got everyone in the PNW to rally around the Hawks. Getting to and finally winning a SB and all that and now being one of the League's legitimately premier franchises has obviously kicked it up a notch.

Seems to me that if UW is even mildly competitive they are on par with the Seahawks as a draw and source of pride. But against every bias in my brain, I have to admit it's hard to make the case now that the UW is the real town favorite. The Hawks have had too much success and people like a winner ... even in Seattle.

The year after the DAWGS won the Orange Bowl in Miami while the Hawks lost to Marino

The 83 Hawks beat the Raiders twice in the regular season then got blown out in the AFC title game

Wouldn’t surprise me if the Hawks are more popular now

Hell the Trojans are losing out to the Rams
    I myself will always prefer the atmosphere of a college GAME DAY to the professional experience. I've been to some fun pro games, back with half the League played in old storied stadiums w/o all the creature comforts you get today. But overall I'll take cfb over the NFL any time.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

When I was a kid down on the Harb, the Huskies were the game in town. The Hawks were a fledgling expansion franchise struggling for respect.

Things really changed with the Hawks in '83 when they beat Don Shula and the Miami Dolphins. To me, that first (I think it was their first) playoff run really got everyone in the PNW to rally around the Hawks. Getting to and finally winning a SB and all that and now being one of the League's legitimately premier franchises has obviously kicked it up a notch.

Seems to me that if UW is even mildly competitive they are on par with the Seahawks as a draw and source of pride. But against every bias in my brain, I have to admit it's hard to make the case now that the UW is the real town favorite. The Hawks have had too much success and people like a winner ... even in Seattle.

‘83 was when I got into the Hawks. I remember that Dolphins win. My Dad bought my brother and I a season highlight tape (VHS!!!) which we watched over and over again. I always insisted we turn it off before the NFL Films guy started talking about the Raiders game...like parents who shut off Old Yeller before the final scene.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited October 2020
    thechatch said:

UW has become more of an international/commuter school. The campus connection to athletics is night and day from when I was in school 20 years ago.

Sadly this has been true for a long time, but gotten worse recently. School spirit was rather lacking on campus even during my day.