Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

NBA players required to stand for anthem

Comments

• Blu82Blu82 Member Posts: 1,562

Gladstone said:

That is goddamn perfect lmao. I still watch the NBA (FTLOTG) but the messaging got annoying months ago. I don’t like being told I’m an inherently evil person because I’m white nor do I like being lectured on what a terrible country this is that has afforded them opportunities most would literally die for their families to have. While they praise China. Fuck outta here.

I haven’t watched more than a few min of a couple games, but feel similarly. They gotta get hit where it hurts. That happened with China so they cater to them. It can happen here if enough people don’t watch.

I’m not sold that people aren’t watching. The ratings are low but the bubble and Finals being held in October have something to do with that.
    WTF???

Rating are low but it is not due to people not watching.
    Can someone explain this, please?
    My bad. Here I thought people watching is what made ratings.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Gladstone said:

NBA to leave BLM, social justice messaging 'off the floor' next season, says Commissioner Adam Silver

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nba-commissioner-adam-silver-says-social-justice-messages-largely-left-delivered-off-floor-next-season

"We're completely committed to standing for social justice and racial equality (except in China where we support injustice, racial inequality, genocide, concentration camps, oh and the categorical lack of freedom)"

- Adam Silver
    I don’t like the bowing to China, but I did get why players were upset with Morey. His comments did nothing to help. They weren’t going to change anything and they just pissed China off. And it was the players that were in China that had to answer for it.

LeBron made it way worse with the bullshit about it affecting him financially, mentally, and emotionally tho. It was so disingenuous and the hypocrisy of him being all about BLM and not giving a fuck about China is so fucking irritating (Pete gif).
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,488 Founders Club

Gladstone said:

NBA to leave BLM, social justice messaging 'off the floor' next season, says Commissioner Adam Silver

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nba-commissioner-adam-silver-says-social-justice-messages-largely-left-delivered-off-floor-next-season

"We're completely committed to standing for social justice and racial equality (except in China where we support injustice, racial inequality, genocide, concentration camps, oh and the categorical lack of freedom)"

- Adam Silver
    I don’t like the bowing to China, but I did get why players were upset with Morey. His comments did nothing to help. They weren’t going to change anything and they just pissed China off. And it was the players that were in China that had to answer for it.

LeBron made it way worse with the bullshit about it affecting him financially, mentally, and emotionally tho. It was so disingenuous and the hypocrisy of him being all about BLM and not giving a fuck about China is so fucking irritating (Pete gif).
    I don't agree about Morey

Fuck China 🇨🇳

He exposed the hypocrisy. That's a good thing
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Gladstone said:

- Adam Silver

Fuck China 🇨🇳

It did nothing. It was a huge financial mistake by him. There aren’t many businesses (no successful ones) where you can make that kind of financial mistake and it’s celebrated.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,399 Founders Club

Inside the article is a nice fight between Cruz and Cuban

Julio Cruz?
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,158
    Gladstone said:

Money talks, suckers walk.

Off the court with 10 seconds left.
    I get bashing LeBron for certain things but leaving with 10 seconds left, down 11 is not one of them.
    Sure it is. Shit message to send as leader of the team.
    Oh stop. You aren't this soft and if it were literally any other player in the world this would be a nothingburger story. This isn't the 1989 Pistons ragequitting here.
    Different standards when you're LeBron. He knows he has to live up to them or get shit flung his way.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    edited October 2020
    but he has four years of high school under his belt and is the fastest guy on the field. Will do anything to win the game.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

Gladstone said:

- Adam Silver

Fuck China 🇨🇳

It did nothing. It was a huge financial mistake by him. There aren’t many businesses (no successful ones) where you can make that kind of financial mistake and it’s celebrated.
    I don't buy the "that wouldn't work in a normal business" argument. Morey, and all NBA players and personnel, should be able to speak out about whatever they want without fear of reprisal. Because that was the status quo long before Morey spoke out and it's long been part of their brand.

But then the NBA showed that it's only willing to take a stand when there are no stakes. The height of cowardice.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,556 Standard Supporter

Gladstone said:

- Adam Silver

Fuck China 🇨🇳

I don't buy the "that wouldn't work in a normal business" argument. Morey, and all NBA players and personnel, should be able to speak out about whatever they want without fear of reprisal. Because that was the status quo long before Morey spoke out and it's long been part of their brand.

But then the NBA showed that it's only willing to take a stand when there are no stakes. The height of cowardice.
    Sorry bruh - that ain't realistic. Theoretically you should be able to speak out about whatever you want.....but the market will spank your ass. Or the owner's wife has a different opinion and you're fucked. Or you work for a leftist elitist anti-racism bullshit believer. You want their $$$ in the form of a paycheck, get the fuck in with the company line.

Morey was right in what he said. His overlords determined that China money was more important. Short term, the Chinese money ruled. Long term, the owners/NBA have fucked up hitching their wagon to BLM/Chinese bullshit.

Long story short though - the owners/NBA also have the power to go full on USA! USA! USA! as the market appears to be dictating. Freedom of words have risk of consequences or rewards. That's capitalism at it's finest.

• WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    Blu82 said:

Gladstone said:

That is goddamn perfect lmao. I still watch the NBA (FTLOTG) but the messaging got annoying months ago. I don’t like being told I’m an inherently evil person because I’m white nor do I like being lectured on what a terrible country this is that has afforded them opportunities most would literally die for their families to have. While they praise China. Fuck outta here.

I haven’t watched more than a few min of a couple games, but feel similarly. They gotta get hit where it hurts. That happened with China so they cater to them. It can happen here if enough people don’t watch.

I’m not sold that people aren’t watching. The ratings are low but the bubble and Finals being held in October have something to do with that.
    WTF???

Rating are low but it is not due to people not watching.
    Can someone explain this, please?
    My bad. Here I thought people watching is what made ratings.

I think his point is that ratings are down across the board for sports, with the slight exception of the NFL. It's a broader issue impacting all sports rather than one specifically related to wokeness (or lack thereof).

- Stanley Cup ratings were down 60%
    - Tennis is down 55%
    - Kentucky Derby was down 45%
    - Baseball is down 50%

I wouldn't say that any of those sports are pushing the social justice messaging like the NBA, but their ratings have suffered to the same degree.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,113 Standard Supporter
    Work isn't about politics. You have no right to spout your political BS publicly at work! Owners should shut all this shit down! They are there to play the game for our entertainment. Spout your BS on your own time!
    People are no longer saying sports could be played in a studio

Turns out to enjoy it at home 70,000 paying customers makes it much better
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Woke sports athletes have been claiming they are oppressed by playing. They would know. I have no ability to understand this position they’ve taken so, I take them at their word.

I am Against oppression.

Therefore I support all athletes Against oppression and no longer support Sports as a vehicle for continued oppression Against athletes.

Instead, I will pray for the Athletes to escape their Oppression. I support the immediate end of Athlete oppression. I support the immediate termination of all sports.

Freedom.
    Sledog said:

Work isn't about politics. You have no right to spout your political BS publicly at work! Owners should shut all this shit down! They are there to play the game for our entertainment. Spout your BS on your own time!

You don't seem to grasp the concept of leverage. Suzie the payroll clerk needs to be careful using her company platform and time to blast controversial political memes. She's replaceable and her company doesn't need the headache. They'll have a new Suzie before the weekend.

A star basketball player has a lot more leeway to say whatever the fuck he wants. Sure, if the owner decides he crossed the line and is a net loss for the franchise due to his activism, then maybe he'll get cut. But in the case of the NBA that's yet to happen. Perhaps Race's theory of declining ratings will change that calculus and outspoken ballplayers will start getting cut if they don't shut up. The market may finally speak in the other direction. Or maybe not. Right now the players have fucking leverage and you're just here to whine about it.
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,019 Standard Supporter
    The fun starts when as a result of the chicom crud and the wokeness the NFL salary cap and the NBA salary cap take a big hit.
    The NBA put it out there that their employees could talk about politics in the work place even as it may alienate fans and American companies. They put politics on the court in big bold letters

To then turn around and protect China by making them off limits which only alienated the customer more is called hypocrisy. And stupidity
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,525 Founders Club

Sledog said:

You don't seem to grasp the concept of leverage. Suzie the payroll clerk needs to be careful using her company platform and time to blast controversial political memes. She's replaceable and her company doesn't need the headache. They'll have a new Suzie before the weekend.

A star basketball player has a lot more leeway to say whatever the fuck he wants. Sure, if the owner decides he crossed the line and is a net loss for the franchise due to his activism, then maybe he'll get cut. But in the case of the NBA that's yet to happen. Perhaps Race's theory of declining ratings will change that calculus and outspoken ballplayers will start getting cut if they don't shut up. The market may finally speak in the other direction. Or maybe not. Right now the players have fucking leverage and you're just here to whine about it.
    With ratings tanking, how much of that leverage is left?

1998 Finals had 30,000,000 people watching

I think one of these games had under 5. Even factoring Orlando, political debates, and other sports, it's a disaster.

I hope the NBA withers and goes the way of boxing if this is how they're going to act.

Sledog said:

With ratings tanking, how much of that leverage is left?

1998 Finals had 30,000,000 people watching

I think one of these games had under 5. Even factoring Orlando, political debates, and other sports, it's a disaster.

I hope the NBA withers and goes the way of boxing if this is how they're going to act.
    Like I said, perhaps Race's theory of ratings will change the owners' tolerance about the players' outspokenness.
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,019 Standard Supporter
    Toss in the loss of ticket revenue. Also, local TV and radio rights have also plummeted. Will definitely impact the value of renewal rights.