Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

How long until he resigns?

13»

Comments

• SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,944
    I'm sure there is no connection between the Wells Fargo CEO's statement and these statistics.

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

I'm sure there is no connection between the Wells Fargo CEO's statement and these statistics.

One university's statistics isn't a good argument

It's really simple: finance, software engineering and all that is not attractive to anyone (that doesn't enjoy hookers and blow) without the context of growth potential and what the market wants.

I have a liberal arts degree but I have to study for what? And perform how? to be a lawyer?

I just wanna build cool websites in js/node but I need to go to UW and learn to write compilers and interface with edge devices in C++? Plus the EE math? Fucking WHY?!

Some groups of people just put up with that shit, and the drivers of that are cultural at scale.
    haie said:

SFGbob said:

It's really simple: finance, software engineering and all that is not attractive to anyone (that doesn't enjoy hookers and blow) without the context of growth potential and what the market wants.

I have a liberal arts degree but I have to study for what? And perform how? to be a lawyer?

I just wanna build cool websites in js/node but I need to go to UW and learn to write compilers and interface with edge devices in C++? Plus the EE math? Fucking WHY?!

Some groups of people just put up with that shit, and the drivers of that are cultural at scale.
    Where did it say that it was only one University's statistics? Georgetown did the study, the numbers aren't just from GU
    SFGbob said:

haie said:

SFGbob said:

Where did it say that it was only one University's statistics? Georgetown did the study, the numbers aren't just from GU
    There's literally nothing in the tweet pointing to that.

Just Georgetown's stats.

I mean I was an elementary school kid with an Iverson jersey too, just saying they are (I think) a private college so they aren't indicative of public college stats, which is what I care about.

And yes at UW most minorities in my program were asian, or white with russian origin.
    If you read the following sentence according to a University of Washington study married people have less sex would you think they were only talking about married people who attended the University of Washington?

They aren't just Georgetown's stats.

https://cew.georgetown.edu/cew-reports/african-american-majors/

SFGbob said:

If you read the following sentence according to a University of Washington study married people have less sex would you think they were only talking about married people who attended the University of Washington?

They aren't just Georgetown's stats.

https://cew.georgetown.edu/cew-reports/african-american-majors/

Why should I assume UW isn't just going off of their own shitty polls? Isn't that what we do here?

You're hung up on something when I already made my point about the larger issue.

At the end of the day in modern society the things that can take you off if you don't come from money aren't that glamorous.

At scale, some cultures put up with it and put pressure on people to put up with it. Some cultures see it for what it is, which is hard and competitive, and possibly not fulfilling.

To your point on the original topic, the individuals that go through the bullshit to get hired toward the top at wells fargo or wherever probably don't fit the mission statement of the Inclusion and Diversity department at Angel-Invested-Website-B.com downtown.

There's too much grey area here to really have a good discussion though. If you're making comments like he did you don't give a fuck at this time.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    It’s a stupid comment, even if true. Why even go there?