Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jayden Wayne, 2023 5* DE/OLB, Tacoma (Lincoln), WA (Offered 8/10/20)

Comments

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

His team lost to a fourth place in Wesco Stanwood. The Spartans, who stunk, scored 40 on the Lincoln defense. Sounds like a must have for my Dwags!

Ok and Travis Hunter's high school lost to a bunch of hicks from Graham?
    So Jayden not being a big enough game changer to beat a mediocre Wesco team = Travis Hunter not being a big enough game changer to beat arguably the best high school team in the country.

I get that right?
    Other than Mater Dei probably dropping 70 on GK, yes.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,112
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I watched Drew Bledsoe get 2 holed by the Richland Bombers and throw for about 30 yards. Guy just couldn’t move the needle🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I watched Drew Bledsoe get 2 holed by the Richland Bombers and throw for about 30 yards. Guy just couldn’t move the needle🤷‍♂️

I would have hated Bledsoe too.
  • Options
    theLSkidtheLSkid Member Posts: 344
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

His team lost to a fourth place in Wesco Stanwood. The Spartans, who stunk, scored 40 on the Lincoln defense. Sounds like a must have for my Dwags!

I get what you're saying but the hicks from Graham didn't have a game closer than 27 points and beat a pretty good Lake Stevens team like a red headed step child in the title game. They are a legit good team. Stanwood was a 5-5, option offense, Wesco team. They sucked and ran train on the Lincoln defense.
    GK is a way better program than Lincoln lbr here.
    It makes sense, hard nosed optio

So Jayden not being a big enough game changer to beat a mediocre Wesco team = Travis Hunter not being a big enough game changer to beat arguably the best high school team in the country.

I get that right?
    Wood still not offered? Grades shitty?
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2021
    theLSkid said:

I get what you're saying but the hicks from Graham didn't have a game closer than 27 points and beat a pretty good Lake Stevens team like a red headed step child in the title game. They are a legit good team. Stanwood was a 5-5, option offense, Wesco team. They sucked and ran train on the Lincoln defense.

I get that right?
    Yeah but the point is, it doesn't matter. One kid can’t win a fucking football by himself. You can just run away from him all game and shift pass protections
  • Options

theLSkid said:

I get that right?
    Yeah but the point is, it doesn't matter. One kid can’t win a fucking football by himself. You can just run away from him all game and shift pass protections
    I agree with you, my high ass didn’t type out my entire thought. Lincoln is a Tacoma school and even though they have some 4-5 star guys, a lot of their players are fucking terrible. An option team is gonna do well against a defense that relies on the DE…just read him..
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,572
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

I get that right?
    I agree with you, my high ass didn’t type out my entire thought. Lincoln is a Tacoma school and even though they have some 4-5 star guys, a lot of their players are fucking terrible. An option team is gonna do well against a defense that relies on the DE…just read him..
    I respect these opinions and they might be right, but as BTP is so fond of saying, and he’s right, the WESCO outside of Lake Stevens is twash. Stanwood was fifth place twash and Lincoln was a top ten team. You’d think a 5* end would wreck an option attack like that by himself. They weren’t playing Bellevue’s option attack. It was a bunch of toe headed 180lb Scandinavian kids.
  • Options
    TrumpsWallTrumpsWall Member Posts: 465
    The great players flash no matter what game or type of offense it is. Good players don’t.
  • Options

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

I get that right?
    I respect these opinions and they might be right, but as BTP is so fond of saying, and he’s right, the WESCO outside of Lake Stevens is twash. Stanwood was fifth place twash and Lincoln was a top ten team. You’d think a 5* end would wreck an option attack like that by himself. They weren’t playing Bellevue’s option attack. It was a bunch of toe headed 180lb Scandinavian kids.
    It doesn’t matter if your linebackers can’t fill and they run away from you every play.
  • Options

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

I get that right?
    It doesn’t matter if your linebackers can’t fill and they run away from you every play.
    I guess it’s hard for some people to understand that
  • Options

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

I get that right?
    15, maybe 10 years ago, I agree with you. But you see more air raid bs than anything in High School and the HS coaches aren’t dedicating the majority of their summer to teach option play, I agree, he should’ve made A PLAY, maybe a few, but a well coached option team can definitely stay away from a game wrecker.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

I get that right?
    15, maybe 10 years ago, I agree with you. But you see more air raid bs than anything in High School and the HS coaches aren’t dedicating the majority of their summer to teach option play, I agree, he should’ve made A PLAY, maybe a few, but a well coached option team can definitely stay away from a game wrecker.
    When Bellevue ditch wing'ed-T?
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,572
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Again, beware the guy who is ranked a 5 star as an 8th grader.

We've seen it time and time again.
    5 star guys absolutely dominate in Washington (or really anywhere) if they are actually a legit 5 star guy.

I have a friend that went to almost every Lincoln game because his nephew plays for them. He had no idea who Wayne even was when I asked about a five star DE.
    Recruiting rankings have much less to do with actual on the field performance as they do with evaluating the body and talent of a prospect to succeed at higher levels of football.

TLDR: 50% chance Jayden Wayne makes it because he has the very rare physical traits needed to be an elite edge rusher. TRAITS is the key here.

Caveman style:
    1. Football position need certain athletic level.
    2. Edge rusher, CB1, OT need very specific physical traits to match.
    3. Wayne has athletic level and specific traits.
    4. Except QB your production doesn’t matter much. It’s #1 and #2 that matters - everything else you can learn.

Examples: Khalil Mack was a basketball player Buffalo took a chance on. Chandler Jones has seven NFL seasons with more sacks than he had total in his 32 games in college. Danielle Hunter had 4.5 sacks in his LSU career, he has 60.5 in 85 NFL games.

Opposite examples, high production but not ideal traits: Nick Reed had 45 TFL and 25 sacks in two seasons, Nate Orchard had 18 sacks one season, Bradley Anae. Even Kikaha before his injuries was still a second round pick, if he had Dion Jordan’s body and his own stats he would have been the first non QB drafted. Speaking of which, eight years after being drafted and after a three year binge of drugs, alcohol, and bad decisions Dion Jordan was still starting in an NFL game getting sacks. Because, TRAITS. He was a WR in high school, but had the TRAITS.
    Fair.
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Again, beware the guy who is ranked a 5 star as an 8th grader.

We've seen it time and time again.
    5 star guys absolutely dominate in Washington (or really anywhere) if they are actually a legit 5 star guy.

I have a friend that went to almost every Lincoln game because his nephew plays for them. He had no idea who Wayne even was when I asked about a five star DE.
    Recruiting rankings have much less to do with actual on the field performance as they do with evaluating the body and talent of a prospect to succeed at higher levels of football.

TLDR: 50% chance Jayden Wayne makes it because he has the very rare physical traits needed to be an elite edge rusher. TRAITS is the key here.

Caveman style:
    1. Football position need certain athletic level.
    2. Edge rusher, CB1, OT need very specific physical traits to match.
    3. Wayne has athletic level and specific traits.
    4. Except QB your production doesn’t matter much. It’s #1 and #2 that matters - everything else you can learn.

Examples: Khalil Mack was a basketball player Buffalo took a chance on. Chandler Jones has seven NFL seasons with more sacks than he had total in his 32 games in college. Danielle Hunter had 4.5 sacks in his LSU career, he has 60.5 in 85 NFL games.

Opposite examples, high production but not ideal traits: Nick Reed had 45 TFL and 25 sacks in two seasons, Nate Orchard had 18 sacks one season, Bradley Anae. Even Kikaha before his injuries was still a second round pick, if he had Dion Jordan’s body and his own stats he would have been the first non QB drafted. Speaking of which, eight years after being drafted and after a three year binge of drugs, alcohol, and bad decisions Dion Jordan was still starting in an NFL game getting sacks. Because, TRAITS. He was a WR in high school, but had the TRAITS.

• Options
    Although he makes a nice catch he shows very little “want to” at defensive end.
    He offers no backside pursuit whatsoever and it also doesn’t appear in this short reel that poor little Starwood ran away from him at all.
    What say you now boys?
    Not impressed unless he makes huge strides as a senior. Does “ look” the part though and I’m sure they drool about him during the retarded 7 vs 7 seasons that seem oh so important these days. Hard pass

https://youtu.be/pG9O43Ahxj0
  • Options

He offers no backside pursuit whatsoever and it also doesn’t appear in this short reel that poor little Starwood ran away from him at all.
    What say you now boys?
    Not impressed unless he makes huge strides as a senior. Does “ look” the part though and I’m sure they drool about him during the retarded 7 vs 7 seasons that seem oh so important these days. Hard pass

I really don’t care if he doesn’t try against Stanwood.
  • Options

What say you now boys?

I really don’t care if he doesn’t try against Stanwood.
    Wasn’t that a winner to state game though? Guess it doesn’t matter…..
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

I think UW has recruited enough 4 stars who don't give a shit

Kayvon Thibodeaux was notorious for half assing it in high school. He turned out fine (overrated, but still). Bring in talent, and if they don't buy in then run them into the portal. Worth the gamble