Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

NY Times: Trump’s Go-It-Alone Stimulus Won’t Do Much to Lift the Recovery

2»

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,966
    edited August 2020

doogie said:

Let the Screamers scream while Trump gets Tanned Rested and Ready to explain why a direct check to You is better than sending 3x that much to kumo, Inslee and Gaffin to mask their failures.

Agree with you here, with one giant asterisk that I'm assuming you will agree with, and that is, the government give-aways are barely a band-aid and we can't keeping doing it. The economy and fundamentals of value creation need to be released by whomever it was that let the dogs out. That's what really needs to happen. For reasons I can't quite articulate, I'm banking on a Trump re-election to hasten that process.

@UW_Doog_Bot can weigh in here, but paying this shit back is gonna be fun, and if we don't and keep printing money, something it seems all administrations like to do now, inflation will rear her ugly mug and then it's high interest rate tim for the country. I don't mind if that happens when I retire, because bond ladders and shit, and because my borrowing days are in the rear-view mirror, but fuck it may come sooner and there are other reasons I like low rates.
    Social Security is a government giveaway. It’s a flawed system of zero growth potential that should put more power of that money’s potential growth into those giving it. I’ll go back again to Dubya’s completely rational idea to let people use 10% of the SS account to perhaps make it grow. Your government believes that money is theirs even before its ever eligible for payouts.

Fuck all Democrats and most Republicans.
    What's my post have to do with SS?

Intellectually, I agree with your take on SS. Entirely.

Pragmatically, I don't because I know actual people. If you wiped out everyone I knew before starting my professional life, it wouldn't be a concern. If you count all the people I knew before, and I still know them, at least 80% of those people would be fucked without it. You have to know a little bit about what you're doing in the market and a lot of people don't.

Sure, it's government baby sitting which fundamentally goes against my beliefs. But it's limited and I think we're generally better off with it. So, so, so many people would be fucked without it.
  • MelloDawgMelloDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,527 Swaye's Wigwam

doogie said:

Let the Screamers scream while Trump gets Tanned Rested and Ready to explain why a direct check to You is better than sending 3x that much to kumo, Inslee and Gaffin to mask their failures.

Agree with you here, with one giant asterisk that I'm assuming you will agree with, and that is, the government give-aways are barely a band-aid and we can't keeping doing it. The economy and fundamentals of value creation need to be released by whomever it was that let the dogs out. That's what really needs to happen. For reasons I can't quite articulate, I'm banking on a Trump re-election to hasten that process.

@UW_Doog_Bot can weigh in here, but paying this shit back is gonna be fun, and if we don't and keep printing money, something it seems all administrations like to do now, inflation will rear her ugly mug and then it's high interest rate tim for the country. I don't mind if that happens when I retire, because bond ladders and shit, and because my borrowing days are in the rear-view mirror, but fuck it may come sooner and there are other reasons I like low rates.
    Social Security is a government giveaway. It’s a flawed system of zero growth potential that should put more power of that money’s potential growth into those giving it. I’ll go back again to Dubya’s completely rational idea to let people use 10% of the SS account to perhaps make it grow. Your government believes that money is theirs even before its ever eligible for payouts.

Pragmatically, I don't because I know actual people. If you wiped out everyone I knew before starting my professional life, it wouldn't be a concern. If you count all the people I knew before, and I still know them, at least 80% of those people would be fucked without it. You have to know a little bit about what you're doing in the market and a lot of people don't.

Sure, it's government baby sitting which fundamentally goes against my beliefs. But it's limited and I think we're generally better off with it. So, so, so many people would be fucked without it.
    Yes, and a president saying 3 months before an election he will get rid of a payroll tax which contributes to social security doesn’t seem wise and could move the needle for voters in swing states if they buy into the spin.

• NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    MelloDawg said:

doogie said:

Yes, and a president saying 3 months before an election he will get rid of a payroll tax which contributes to social security doesn’t seem wise and could move the needle for voters in swing states if they buy into the spin.

You do realize that tens of millions can’t pay bills right now, right? @creepycoug seems to be an elitist who for some reason wants people to suffer, but what’s your excise? You’re from a wealthy family?
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,966
    edited August 2020

MelloDawg said:

doogie said:

You do realize that tens of millions can’t pay bills right now, right? @creepycoug seems to be an elitist who for some reason wants people to suffer, but what’s your excise? You’re from a wealthy family?
    Seems like you have your cock stuck in your mouth. Seems like that’s been happening a lot lately.

It does warm my heart to know you’re such a man of the people and perfectly comfortable with the government taking my tax money - I haven’t received a dime - to help people who apparently weren’t taught to save for a rainy day. Sounds like you’re primed for communism. Statist.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,138 Standard Supporter
    edited August 2020
    MelloDawg said:

doogie said:

Look at your check. If you get one for work. Federal payroll tax is listed separately from SS deductions. So is medicare, state tax yada yada yada. If you got a check, ever, you'd know this.
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,223 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2020
    w
    Gavin claiming all over the press an extra $100 would cost California $700m/week. So there are 40m people in CA, a good chunk under 18, a good chunk over 65, a nice chunk housewives. A few people still have jobs still. 7m people are really on unemployment? No fucking way.

Anyone wanna call bullshit on that number? In any case there’s a way to get that number down.
  • GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 6,237
    300k uber drivers alone
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    Goduckies said:

300k uber drivers alone

@PurpleBaze true?!?!?!?!!?