Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

NY Times: Trump’s Go-It-Alone Stimulus Won’t Do Much to Lift the Recovery

Comments

• GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 6,237
    Is this from Krugman? How did that prediction go last time.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,666 Standard Supporter

Trump won't help. Will hurt social security. Bad move. Democrats have your best interests at heart

it's about tim you came to your senses
  • Postal91Postal91 Member Posts: 1,803

Trump won't help. Will hurt social security. Bad move. Democrats have your best interests at heart

Sadly what 2 of my idiot friends said last night... 'he's getting rid of social security'... blah blah blah.
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,223 Swaye's Wigwam
    Of course it won’t do much. What would do a lot is opening the fucking economy.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Postal91 said:

Sadly what 2 of my idiot friends said last night... 'he's getting rid of social security'... blah blah blah.
    I remember my liking payroll tax cuts when the president i liked did it phase.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2012/02/22/president-obama-signs-payroll-tax-cut
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    Gee, how about doing nothing like your Democrats? Who needs healthily small businesses when we can all just work at Costco and WalMart.

• MelloDawgMelloDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,527 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2020
    Postal91 said:

Whether or not that's what ends up happening, the messaging of "I'm going to get rid of the payroll tax" is easy to link to the idea that Social Security will be weakened if he gets re-elected. He could have stopped at signing the EOs, but then commented further.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Let the Screamers scream while Trump gets Tanned Rested and Ready to explain why a direct check to You is better than sending 3x that much to kumo, Inslee and Gaffin to mask their failures.
    People without jobs or not at risk of ever working one again, aren’t going to worry about a payroll tax
    MelloDawg said:

Postal91 said:

Whether or not that's what ends up happening, the messaging of "I'm going to get rid of the payroll tax" is easy to link to the idea that Social Security will be weakened if he gets re-elected. He could have stopped at signing the EOs, but then commented further.
    Maybe if your Democrats weren’t so eager to crush the economy and delay relief because of stupid riders on bills like marijuana legalization and other pork projects there would be a bi-partisan plan being enacted. But nope, the economy crashing and millions out of work is the ideal scenario for Democrats, at least nationally, so now Pelosi and Congress are heading off for vacation next week after accomplishing yet again zilch.

Hopefully her $20,000 ice cream freezer is fully stocked by her servants in her SF mansion.

doogie said:

Let the Screamers scream while Trump gets Tanned Rested and Ready to explain why a direct check to You is better than sending 3x that much to kumo, Inslee and Gaffin to mask their failures.

The dueling arguments of "It's Your Governor's Fault" vs. "He's Going To Take Your Social Security Away" in the next 3 months will be interesting. Neither may end up being true, but it is an election after all.
    edited August 2020

MelloDawg said:

doogie said:

The dueling arguments of "It's Your Governor's Fault" vs. "He's Going To Take Your Social Security Away" in the next 3 months will be interesting. Neither may end up being true, but it is an election after all.
    Imagine being a Democrat and thinking that most voting people in a shutdown caused by a virus are worried about their next mortgage and car payments give a shot about a suspension in the payroll tax and it’s implications on SS 15 years from now.

It does show how out of touch Democrats are if they think recycling this old bogeyman has any teeth in this economic climate.
    I agree that it doesn't affect many currently and that there are more immediate pressing needs. People my age who think it should matter to them are out of touch. I'm curious how much it moves the needle for those 20 years older than me, however.

What will matter is the unemployment extension and more stimulus. If they can't roll it out effectively or timely enough, it'll fall on Trump to put the onus on the governors and say he did everything he could.
    MelloDawg said:

MelloDawg said:

doogie said:

Imagine being a Democrat and thinking that most voting people in a shutdown caused by a virus are worried about their next mortgage and car payments give a shot about a suspension in the payroll tax and it’s implications on SS 15 years from now.

It does show how out of touch Democrats are if they think recycling this old bogeyman has any teeth in this economic climate.
    I agree that it doesn't affect many currently and that there are more immediate pressing needs. People my age who think it should matter to them are out of touch. I'm curious how much it moves the needle for those 20 years older than me, however.

What will matter is the unemployment extension and more stimulus. If they can't roll it out effectively or timely enough, it'll fall on Trump to put the onus on the governors and say he did everything he could.
    The only reason why you object to what Trump has done most recently is because it is quite effective Leaving the Democrats trapped
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,966
    edited August 2020
    doogie said:

Agree with you here, with one giant asterisk that I'm assuming you will agree with, and that is, the government give-aways are barely a band-aid and we can't keeping doing it. The economy and fundamentals of value creation need to be released by whomever it was that let the dogs out. That's what really needs to happen. For reasons I can't quite articulate, I'm banking on a Trump re-election to hasten that process.

@UW_Doog_Bot can weigh in here, but paying this shit back is gonna be fun, and if we don't and keep printing money, something it seems all administrations like to do now, inflation will rear her ugly mug and then it's high interest rate tim for the country. I don't mind if that happens when I retire, because bond ladders and shit, and because my borrowing days are in the rear-view mirror, but fuck it may come sooner and there are other reasons I like low rates.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    edited August 2020

doogie said:

Agree with you here, with one giant asterisk that I'm assuming you will agree with, and that is, the government give-aways are barely a band-aid and we can't keeping doing it. The economy and fundamentals of value creation need to be released by whomever it was that let the dogs out. That's what really needs to happen. For reasons I can't quite articulate, I'm banking on a Trump re-election to hasten that process.

@UW_Doog_Bot can weigh in here, but paying this shit back is gonna be fun, and if we don't and keep printing money, something it seems all administrations like to do now, inflation will rear her ugly mug and then it's high interest rate tim for the country. I don't mind if that happens when I retire, because bond ladders and shit, and because my borrowing days are in the rear-view mirror, but fuck it may come sooner and there are other reasons I like low rates.
    I’ve been hearing about how “we” are going to have to pay back the debt my entire life. I’ve been hearing about hyper inflation coming any day now for almost as long.

Must have gotten stuck behind peak oil.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,966

doogie said:

I’ve been hearing about how “we” are going to have to pay back the debt my entire life. I’ve been hearing about hyper inflation coming any day now for almost as long.

Must have gotten stuck behind peak oil.
    We?

doogie said:

Social Security is a government giveaway. It’s a flawed system of zero growth potential that should put more power of that money’s potential growth into those giving it. I’ll go back again to Dubya’s completely rational idea to let people use 10% of the SS account to perhaps make it grow. Your government believes that money is theirs even before its ever eligible for payouts.

Fuck all Democrats and most Republicans.