Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Remember when Australia was praised as the model for stopping the Rona?

13»

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,966

LOL at Trump treating it as an “electoral issue” as the Democrats were mocking him for being racist and defying federal guidelines solely to shtick it to Trump. deBlasio and Cuomo needlessly killed thousands and infected many more solely because Trump was being a meanie racist and calling it the “China Flu.” Get the fuck outta here with that weakass 20/20 hindsight. Trump hasn’t been perfect but he sure as hell isn’t the main person to blame for New York and San Francisco.

While I tend to think Trump has had many better days than the Corona management situation, I also agree that you can't lay this whole thing at his feet. Maybe there was a delayed response and maybe a quicker response would have prevented whatever. Also agree that people freaking out about "a racist travel ban" were fs because, oh, I don't know, the fucking virus started there.

But he most certainly is playing it as political now. If I were on his advisory team, I'd tell him to do so myself. Everyone, now, is playing political positioning with the Corona. [everyone.gif]
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

LOL at Trump treating it as an “electoral issue” as the Democrats were mocking him for being racist and defying federal guidelines solely to shtick it to Trump. deBlasio and Cuomo needlessly killed thousands and infected many more solely because Trump was being a meanie racist and calling it the “China Flu.” Get the fuck outta here with that weakass 20/20 hindsight. Trump hasn’t been perfect but he sure as hell isn’t the main person to blame for New York and San Francisco.

While I tend to think Trump has had many better days than the Corona management situation, I also agree that you can't lay this whole thing at his feet. Maybe there was a delayed response and maybe a quicker response would have prevented whatever. Also agree that people freaking out about "a racist travel ban" were fs because, oh, I don't know, the fucking virus started there.

But he most certainly is playing it as political now. If I were on his advisory team, I'd tell him to do so myself. Everyone, now, is playing political positioning with the Corona. [everyone.gif]
    That. March was a bad performance. Golves are off now, big boy politics.

That. March was a bad performance. Golves are off now, big boy politics.
    In the Tug, March is not a real month.
    RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

Sensible mitigation - masks, distancing, washing hands, whatever
    Protect vulnerable populations
    Clear governmental communication - don't inject needless hysteria
    Avoid punitive measures - invites resistance & partisan energy
    Strengthen health care capacity
    Develop pharmacological prophylaxis - but don't rely
    Study history - Sadly, epidemics run a certain course that weº only have a certain degree of control over

Or just let the media and local governments put everyone in hysterics, throw millions out of work, cause uncounted deaths from other causes, lie about stats in order to justify the actions taken, move the goal posts several times, give inconsistent messages, give up to the minute death counts, silence those with a different approach or thoughts. Toss in a race war and allow nightly riots because it's protected speech and saw things like racism is bigger public health threat than the virus. And cheer for more death and economic misery in order to move a political ideology.

That's worked well.
    Top that off with a leader who is in way over his head and scared to take responsibility for anything that might damage his brand name.
    I honestly don't disagree.
    How is Trump in over his head? What does he need to take responsibility for that he's afraid will damage his brand name?
    I've given my opinion on that many tims. Trump treated it as an electoral politics issue in March, thereby feeding the oppositional energy (which would have existed anyway to a degree) and taking attention anyway from nuts & bolts governance and response efforts.
    Fair enough but this whole COVID-19 issue is bullshit and is 100% political. Trump is up against the entire world and IMO he's allowed to play the game like every other politician. Why are Democrats and Rhinos always given a pass? We both know the answer to that question and until both sides are allowed to play by the same rules, there's going to be civil unrest in this country and it's going to get worse if that's possible.
    Sure he's allowed to play the game. He's been playing it from the beginning. Playing it is how he got here.

But nobody gets a pass from their enemies. Only from their friends.

Another take I've put out there a half dozen times that My Trump Guysm™ might like better, regarding Trump culpability for the Vid being a thing. If somehow Trump and Trump alone got a vision of the future in late December that the Vid was coming, the only possible (and even then unlikely) way to stop it showing up here would have been a hard national quarantine. No international air or ground admittance to foreigners. US nationals abroad could only return into a 14-day quarantine, etc. Even if we had done that, it probably still squirts through. No one would have gone for that Jan. 1, as demonstrated by the #resistance to the modest international travel restrictions that actually did go in place late January.

Therefore, in my mind, he's off the hook for that. Shit just happens sometimes, and that's really hard to accept for most of us.

This is basically my take and why I don't give Trump a lot of shit for anything Vid-related. I think it just happens anyway. Though I find it amusing that people want to go after the CDC and Fauci and the rest but not Trump, somehow forgetting who's in charge. If that had been Obama, we? wouldn't separate the executive branch so conveniently.

But, again, doesn't matter. It is what it is.

Another take I've put out there a half dozen times that My Trump Guysm™ might like better, regarding Trump culpability for the Vid being a thing. If somehow Trump and Trump alone got a vision of the future in late December that the Vid was coming, the only possible (and even then unlikely) way to stop it showing up here would have been a hard national quarantine. No international air or ground admittance to foreigners. US nationals abroad could only return into a 14-day quarantine, etc. Even if we had done that, it probably still squirts through. No one would have gone for that Jan. 1, as demonstrated by the #resistance to the modest international travel restrictions that actually did go in place late January.

Therefore, in my mind, he's off the hook for that. Shit just happens sometimes, and that's really hard to accept for most of us.

This is basically my take and why I don't give Trump a lot of shit for anything Vid-related. I think it just happens anyway. Though I find it amusing that people want to go after the CDC and Fauci and the rest but not Trump, somehow forgetting who's in charge. If that had been Obama, we? wouldn't separate the executive branch so conveniently.

Exactly. Fauci's vacillating bullshit is on Trump. Full stop. Problem was, Fauci got too much leash, and would have become a martyr, well more of a martyr, if he was flat out fired. Those are tricky things to manage, but something I'd want The Leader of the Free World to be capable of figuring out.

Exactly. Fauci's vacillating bullshit is on Trump. Full stop. Problem was, Fauci got too much leash, and would have become a martyr, well more of a martyr, if he was flat out fired. Those are tricky things to manage, but something I'd want The Leader of the Free World to be capable of figuring out.
    True, but if there's one thing Trump doesn't struggle with it's firing the fuck out of people and NGAF who thinks what about it. Fuck the first year of his administration was a revolving door. And his base wouldn't have cared about some life-long civil servant. Trump is good on the podium and could have sold it to his support rather easily.

I also don't think Fauci is some double agent, or incompetent. I think this was new, nobody has had a dress rehersal and it people fucked up. It happens.

This is why we do two full dry runs for board meetings before the board meetings. Only once in a great while will a director throw anyone for a loop. We are prepared for practically anything.

True, but if there's one thing Trump doesn't struggle with it's firing the fuck out of people and NGAF who thinks what about it. Fuck the first year of his administration was a revolving door. And his base wouldn't have cared about some life-long civil servant. Trump is good on the podium and could have sold it to his support rather easily.

I also don't think Fauci is some double agent, or incompetent. I think this was new, nobody has had a dress rehersal and it people fucked up. It happens.

This is why we do two full dry runs for board meetings before the board meetings. Only once in a great while will a director throw anyone for a loop. We are prepared for practically anything.
    Firing Fauci would have elated the base. What I'm talking about is further energizing the Trump-wants-everyone-to-die narrative.

There's no indication Fauci's incompetent in his field. However, he started going farther and farther afield, into social custom, economics, --

Eh, I've blabbered enough about this.

Firing Fauci would have elated the base. What I'm talking about is further energizing the Trump-wants-everyone-to-die narrative.

There's no indication Fauci's incompetent in his field. However, he started going farther and farther afield, into social custom, economics, --

Yeah, and his no mask/mask routine was a colossal fuck up. The finer points about encouraging more face touching/fidgeting with the mask making people bolder was completely lost and he did nothing to amplify it. That's entirely on him.

As for energizing the Trump-is-a-killer crowd, sure; but I'm not sure how much more it could be energized than it already is. That's the thing about this President that is rather unique. He's a scorched earth litigator. The guy you hire when winning is the only thing that matters - bet the company stakes - and reconciling afterwards is not a concern at all. He's the difference between the lawyer you hire to divorce your wife after finding her fucking someone else and the guy you hire when you're trying to preserve property and make things amicable for the kids. Trump is the first guy; not the second guy.

Once you accept that, what people who don't like him think, or how they'll react, is of absolutely no consequence.

Yeah, and his no mask/mask routine was a colossal fuck up. The finer points about encouraging more face touching/fidgeting with the mask making people bolder was completely lost and he did nothing to amplify it. That's entirely on him.

As for energizing the Trump-is-a-killer crowd, sure; but I'm not sure how much more it could be energized than it already is. That's the thing about this President that is rather unique. He's a scorched earth litigator. The guy you hire when winning is the only thing that matters - bet the company stakes - and reconciling afterwards is not a concern at all. He's the difference between the lawyer you hire to divorce your wife after finding her fucking someone else and the guy you hire when you're trying to preserve property and make things amicable for the kids. Trump is the first guy; not the second guy.

Once you accept that, what people who don't like him think, or how they'll react, is of absolutely no consequence.
    Fair points, all.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,401 Swaye's Wigwam

This is a good analogy. That first lawyer isn't the guy you invite to your Christmas party either. He's a grade A asshole but he's the asshole on your side.
  • GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 6,236
    He is also the ass to take on Washington and they are scared...

Fair points, all.

Sensible mitigation - masks, distancing, washing hands, whatever
    Protect vulnerable populations
    Clear governmental communication - don't inject needless hysteria
    Avoid punitive measures - invites resistance & partisan energy
    Strengthen health care capacity
    Develop pharmacological prophylaxis - but don't rely
    Study history - Sadly, epidemics run a certain course that weº only have a certain degree of control over

Noting the recent drop in the daily tally of COVID-19 cases, Tegnell observed on August 9, "Exactly why this happened at that time and why it was so quick and sudden, is difficult for us to understand." Tegnell acknowledges that the results of antibody blood tests do not find that enough Swedes have been infected and recovered to confer herd immunity as would be conventionally expected by epidemiologists.

So what could explain the "quick and sudden" drop in Sweden's COVID-19 case and death rates? This is very speculative, but Swedish public health authorities may have accidentally blundered into herd immunity through a combination of previously unsuspected extensive pre-existing T-cell immunity to the coronavirus and differential risks of infection due to social interaction variations among its people.
    Swaye said:

Didn't read but saw Australian.

Crikes!
    Swaye said:

Oh good Lord that's spectacular. And those are real.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,584 Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

It's amazing what a bunch of prisoners have left behind as descendants. Just ridiculously hot people.