Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Left is Now the Right

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,826
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Everyone I knew hated Nixon, adult and peers. I was 16. I will never forget 5PM PST when Walter Cronkite came on and called it for Nixon. They could do that back then. I was shocked. I suspected Russian interference. Macedonian troll farms. Stunned and amazed. Dick ended up with 48 states.

It was ok to run McGovern because the election was about Nixon and nothing else. Invasion of Cambodia, Kent State, riots on campus. The country hated him I tell you they hated him

His law and order campaign was completely out of touch with where America was in 1972. Allegedly.

This is sounding familiar... Reagan in 84 was also similar no?
    No - Reagan was more hope and change than just the words Obama mouthed. He actually touted American exceptionalism, love of country, baseball, apple pie and Chevrolet....which was refreshing after four years of Jimmy Carter being the world's bitch, mocked daily by the Ayatollah and the kidnappers.

The country loved Reagan. They related to him. Nixon was almost the polar opposite in terms of popularity and appeal - but he was better than milquetoast McGovern at the time.

• Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,224
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

#MyTaibibibibibibi

Could it be he's just getting old?
    Probably.

In that book, he essentially describes getting sick of the shit, much of which he'd eagerly joined in on.
    Yeah he's an amazing writer who I sense is becoming more conservative over time. For most, it's a natural occurrence.
    Eh, I don't think he's any kind of conservative. More that he's fully aware of the bullshit ruining REAL liberalism.
    He's not conservative, but he seems so when directly compared with today's far left
    So I guess I'd like to know what people think is conservative? I believe in freedoms of all kinds. I am very socially liberal on some issues but some would condemn me as a right winger for believing in God and advocating for small government and the privatization of most of it.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

#MyTaibibibibibibi

Probably.

In that book, he essentially describes getting sick of the shit, much of which he'd eagerly joined in on.
    Yeah he's an amazing writer who I sense is becoming more conservative over time. For most, it's a natural occurrence.
    Eh, I don't think he's any kind of conservative. More that he's fully aware of the bullshit ruining REAL liberalism.
    He's not conservative, but he seems so when directly compared with today's far left
    So I guess I'd like to know what people think is conservative? I believe in freedoms of all kinds. I am very socially liberal on some issues but some would condemn me as a right winger for believing in God and advocating for small government and the privatization of most of it.
    I don't think you're getting Taibibibibibibibi on board with those kind of policies. But I honestly don't know. I think he's a Bernie supporter.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

#MyTaibibibibibibi

Probably.

Limited government, but with an emphasis on traditional family values (typically in the vision of the nuclear family of the 50s-60s).

"Socially liberal" is all relative today, as the last ten years have brought a massive shift of that group's priorities into mainstream acceptance. Today's "social liberal" has moved well beyond weed and gay rights.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter

Everyone I knew hated Nixon, adult and peers. I was 16. I will never forget 5PM PST when Walter Cronkite came on and called it for Nixon. They could do that back then. I was shocked. I suspected Russian interference. Macedonian troll farms. Stunned and amazed. Dick ended up with 48 states.

It was ok to run McGovern because the election was about Nixon and nothing else. Invasion of Cambodia, Kent State, riots on campus. The country hated him I tell you they hated him

His law and order campaign was completely out of touch with where America was in 1972. Allegedly.

No, Reagan's re-election in 1984 wasn't a surprise.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,896
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Socially liberal now includes unlimited abortion and a demand for more government programs to make education worse and encourage sloth. It now includes the obligation to bow before the green gaia religionists. Oh, and open borders.
  • Options

Socially liberal now includes unlimited abortion and a demand for more government programs to make education worse and encourage sloth. It now includes the obligation to bow before the green gaia religionists. Oh, and open borders.

I like the unintended irony here, which is pretty on-brand for you. In a thread about how liberals have such a deep misunderstanding about the forgotten base that Trump now carries, you gleefully cheer that message on while subscribing to the exact same rhetoric of those who you oppose. Newton's third law was always more relevant to politics than physics.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,896
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    What message? You pointed out that socially liberal had expanded. I agreed. I agree, Trump should be running hard against the nude green deal and open borders. That message has to go over the head of the MSM. Heard anything about immigration lately from the press or the dems. About saving the earth with magic unicorn farts? Dems are now just promoting more fear and panic on the chicom crud and trillions in free sh*t for their supporters. Starting to also get real quiet on defunding the police at the national dem level. Leftards lie and love to be lied to. Keep hammering at the white "independents" and try to pick off a few more percent of the black and hispanic vote.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,733
    I like Raygun so much I just ordered a mask with his picture and the caption "I smell hippies".
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,305
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

Couple weeks ago I was looking at 1984 polling. The best that Mondale did was a couple polls calling it even after the Dem convention. That was probably a stretch for a guy about to lose 49 states
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

Couple weeks ago I was looking at 1984 polling. The best that Mondale did was a couple polls calling it even after the Dem convention. That was probably a stretch for a guy about to lose 49 states
    After the first debate that Reagan lost, the media hyped up how Mondole had "momentum" was making it a race. Even in my little ideological cocoon in Eugene I knew the evil and "racist" Ronnie was going to win.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,305
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

After the first debate that Reagan lost, the media hyped up how Mondole had "momentum" was making it a race. Even in my little ideological cocoon in Eugene I knew the evil and "racist" Ronnie was going to win.
    And in the second debate Reagan dropped the "I'm not going to make an issue out of the youth and inexperience of my opponent" line as a reply to him being old and out of it after the first debate
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

And in the second debate Reagan dropped the "I'm not going to make an issue out of the youth and inexperience of my opponent" line as a reply to him being old and out of it after the first debate
    Yep, and the election was over from that point forward. Mondole's pledge to raise everyone's taxes at the Rat convention also didn't help.
  • Options
    Founders Club

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

#MyTaibibibibibibi

Probably.

Limited government, but with an emphasis on traditional family values (typically in the vision of the nuclear family of the 50s-60s).

"Socially liberal" is all relative today, as the last ten years have brought a massive shift of that group's priorities into mainstream acceptance. Today's "social liberal" has moved well beyond weed and gay rights.
    I hear ya but I guess I still can't get on board with adadictomes etc. I still believe that science dictates whether you're a dude or a gal.
  • Options
    Founders Club

What message? You pointed out that socially liberal had expanded. I agreed. I agree, Trump should be running hard against the nude green deal and open borders. That message has to go over the head of the MSM. Heard anything about immigration lately from the press or the dems. About saving the earth with magic unicorn farts? Dems are now just promoting more fear and panic on the chicom crud and trillions in free sh*t for their supporters. Starting to also get real quiet on defunding the police at the national dem level. Leftards lie and love to be lied to. Keep hammering at the white "independents" and try to pick off a few more percent of the black and hispanic vote.

Wait, the New Green Deal involves nudity? Maybe I have to reconsider;-)
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,541
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ronnie Raygun's popularity was huge because of his radio show. A older guy I worked with was from the midwest and he explained to me about the radio show and how popular it was. Of course, in Western Washington no one would have known about it existed.

At that time I definitely would not have anything to do with talk radio
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    LebamDawg said:

Ronnie Raygun's popularity was huge because of his radio show. A older guy I worked with was from the midwest and he explained to me about the radio show and how popular it was. Of course, in Western Washington no one would have known about it existed.

At that time I definitely would not have anything to do with talk radio

Not to quibble but it really wasn't so much a radio show as it was a three minute daily radio commentary that expressed unabashed love of America, Freedom, anti-Communism, limited government and Conservatism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udLyGm0XR8M

This was all obviously pre-internet and pre-cable news where the only news received by most people was the network nightly 22 min news broadcast. Reagan was vocalizing many of the thoughts and ideas that Americans believed in and felt but for which they rarely heard or watched on the network news.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    edited August 2020

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

#MyTaibibibibibibi

Probably.

Its amazing to watch the shift as someone who has actually been a "leave everyone the fuck alone" centrist... Not a fake centrist.

I was more liberal on social issues (gay marriage, weed, citizen spying, international war, censorship, patriot act) than Obama, but because of the crazy shift in the past few years I am now called a alt-right nazi Russian troll.

The left isn't liberal... Its authoritarian

Classical liberals that typically voted democrat and constitutional conservatives that typically voted republican are essentially the same group now.

• Options
    RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

#MyTaibibibibibibi

Probably.

I hear ya but I guess I still can't get on board with adadictomes etc. I still believe that science dictates whether you're a dude or a gal.
    Lol fair enough. I wouldn't say that necessarily excludes you from being socially liberal. But using the Rush Limbaugh invented term of "adadictomies" probably does.
  • Options
    Houhusky said:

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

#MyTaibibibibibibi

Probably.

Its amazing to watch the shift as someone who has actually been a "leave everyone the fuck alone" centrist... Not a fake centrist.

I was more liberal on social issues (gay marriage, weed, citizen spying, international war, censorship, patriot act) than Obama, but because of the crazy shift in the past few years I am now called a alt-right nazi Russian troll.

The left isn't liberal... Its authoritarian

Classical liberals that typically voted democrat and constitutional conservatives that typically voted republican are essentially the same group now.

It's definitely a good encapsulation of the horshoe theory. Today's far left has gone well past freedom from government intervention as it relates to civil rights, and all the way back to attempting to use government as a tool to right perceived historical wrongs and press their worldview on any cultural institution they can influence. Healthy dissent is no longer a virtue.

As someone who is in fact socially liberal, I'm still sympathetic to their intentions. But the approach of "agree with us or get steamrolled" isn't a cliff I'm willing to jump off with them.