Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Looks like California is closing

13»

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,606
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited July 2020
    Tequilla said:

MelloDawg said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

MelloDawg said:

I imagine Inslee will eventually do the same.

Probably. Trends are moving the wrong way.
    Are they?

I get that cases are increasing but so has testing. By default, more testing was always going to lead to more cases ... including asymptomatic cases that we were never picking up initially.

The key stats to me have always been death, hospital capacity, and ICUs available for the most sick.

I'm fully resigned to the fact that life isn't going to be normal until at some point next year after there's a solid vaccine option available. I know that the balance of life is going to be at home, being very careful at who you associate with, maintaining distance as much as possible, and enjoying golf while I can.

But I'm not going to say that I'm super worried about 20 year olds in general getting the virus ... they will be fine.

The spike in cases is almost assuredly coming in part due to the protesting in June and the spread tied into it. It never made sense to me how we have been so diligent about maintaining space, sports shut down, etc. etc. but when it came to massive people gatherings for protest and related activities that was all ok. I'm not saying that protests and the right to assemble, freedom of speech, etc. isn't important so don't twist. I'm not saying that I'm not recognizing instances of police abuse and social justice so don't twist. But the uptick in at least some level makes a ton of sense given the events.
    I could have missed it, but I'm not sure anyone said that the protests were conducive to the containment of COVID and, if you asked public health "experts," 100% of them would say it was a dumbfuck idea if you're trying to prevent spread. As such, they'd probably agree with you that the uptick is because of those protests. The people that protested thought that social justice and racial equality demonstrations superseded the chance they could get COVID, just like the kids who went to go party for spring break and Memorial Day thought the same. Neither was correct.

I'd agree your metrics are probably the real way we should be looking at this, but they'll make the argument that more cases leads to more hospitalization leads to full ICU beds leads to deaths.
    1) I’m not talking about the medical community at large because they’ve been saying things aren’t hell is freezing over again

2) Politicians in areas that were protesting were basically silent and complicit in those gatherings ... yet politicians in those communities had no problem arresting citizens that “protested” shut down orders that threatened their businesses and livelihoods ... those same politicians that had no problem releasing convicted prisoners out of COVID concerns

3) Unless you can prove that there are significant down there road implications on health due to COVID, the death and hospital/ICU data is really basic math at this point. We have large sample sets and can identify based on age relative risk assessments. So cases going up really matters IF they are going up in the wrong populations. It’s why cases can go up and deaths down ... and why lower case counts led to higher deaths ... all about what population impacted.
    Yeah but trump

He's evil therefore people will die
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MelloDawg said:

Bob_C said:

MelloDawg said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

MelloDawg said:

Are they?

I get that cases are increasing but so has testing. By default, more testing was always going to lead to more cases ... including asymptomatic cases that we were never picking up initially.

The key stats to me have always been death, hospital capacity, and ICUs available for the most sick.

I'm fully resigned to the fact that life isn't going to be normal until at some point next year after there's a solid vaccine option available. I know that the balance of life is going to be at home, being very careful at who you associate with, maintaining distance as much as possible, and enjoying golf while I can.

But I'm not going to say that I'm super worried about 20 year olds in general getting the virus ... they will be fine.

The spike in cases is almost assuredly coming in part due to the protesting in June and the spread tied into it. It never made sense to me how we have been so diligent about maintaining space, sports shut down, etc. etc. but when it came to massive people gatherings for protest and related activities that was all ok. I'm not saying that protests and the right to assemble, freedom of speech, etc. isn't important so don't twist. I'm not saying that I'm not recognizing instances of police abuse and social justice so don't twist. But the uptick in at least some level makes a ton of sense given the events.
    I could have missed it, but I'm not sure anyone said that the protests were conducive to the containment of COVID and, if you asked public health "experts," 100% of them would say it was a dumbfuck idea if you're trying to prevent spread. As such, they'd probably agree with you that the uptick is because of those protests. The people that protested thought that social justice and racial equality demonstrations superseded the chance they could get COVID, just like the kids who went to go party for spring break and Memorial Day thought the same. Neither was correct.

I'd agree your metrics are probably the real way we should be looking at this, but they'll make the argument that more cases leads to more hospitalization leads to full ICU beds leads to deaths.
    People were pretty nuanced with the language around the protests. To your point, no one said it was conducive to the containment, but they all said the inverse in that it wasn’t going to spread it, or said it was more important to protest than to limit spread. Mental health was given a seat at the table for protesting. The reports that the protests didn’t spread the virus were written in advance of the results, we knew it was going to be that way. Then the results came in and the right was blamed for them.

Still no touching flagsticks or rakes in the bunkers though, so we’re safe there.
    Yes, it seemed in conflict with various guidance from the CDC that large groups were ill-advised. How many people actually believed that the protests weren't going to be bad for COVID spread though? I think anyone with half a brain on either side realized how absurd that sounded. They just thought it was more important to protest.
    Experts say..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-07-01/experts-see-little-evidence-that-protests-spread-coronavirus?_amp=true
  • Options
    hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

MelloDawg said:

Are they?

The rate of positive tests is too high here and most places.
    How so?

If it doesn't clog the hospitals or stack the dead who gives a fuck?

46 million out of work because you're a pussy
    Seriously? Do you ever read anything on this subject?
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Fantastic bump. Look how stupid everything HH said on the subject is. What a complete toolbox.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,276
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye said:

Fantastic bump. Look how stupid everything HH said on the subject is. What a complete toolbox.

Easy, Tonto.

It’s free publicity. Working out fine for me.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,309
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

MelloDawg said:

MelloDawg said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

MelloDawg said:

Are they?

The rate of positive tests is too high here and most places.
    How so?

If it doesn't clog the hospitals or stack the dead who gives a fuck?

46 million out of work because you're a pussy
    I guess I'm curious what you consider to be "clogged" or how we should interpret commentary from people who work at hospitals. I read a news blurb today from the Republican mayor of Miami that said hospitals are "at their peak" and are at 91-92% capacity and that staffing has become an issue. I'm no hospital administrator, but that number seems like it could cause problems. Is it all COVID? No, probably not, but I don't imagine COVID is helping.
    I've been reading the same bullshit since March

And I don't fall for it

46 million unemployed

I don't imagine that helps anyone other than Biden and his supporters
    You don't fall for it in that you don't think that percentages like that are accurate (hence, made up) or you in that you don't think that numbers like that can be problematic for hospitals? Or abundance?

Bad economic numbers do help Biden, however, you're right.
    The curve is flattened.
    Willful ignorance.
    #stayhomestaysafe fatty.
  • Options
    hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    HHusky said:

Swaye said:

Easy, Tonto.

It’s free publicity. Working out fine for me.
    Being wrong = working out fine. Cool, cool.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,892
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

MelloDawg said:

Are they?

I'm hearing the trans parade and BLM riots were good. Protests in Lansing Michigan were baaaad 🐑

There were 3 rednecks with Confederate flags so everyone is therefore a nazi. Guilt by association.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

MelloDawg said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

MelloDawg said:

Are they?

Pissed all over again. Thanks, dick
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,570
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So we were wrong about literally everything when it came to covid and how to handle it.

Oh well. They were small businesses whose owners were never voting for us? anyways.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,309
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

So we were wrong about literally everything when it came to covid and how to handle it.

Oh well. They were small businesses whose owners were never voting for us? anyways.

They weren't wrong. Everything worked out exactly how they wanted.