Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jason Whitlock: Colin Kaepernick is a fraud

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

thechatch said:

Whitlock is probably in the top 10 for black guys that get called an Uncle Tom by white guys. He’s a blowhard but I’ve never understood the vitriol some people have for that guy.

I thought it was an outstanding article
    It really wasn't. And it was chalk full of bad, and flat-out wrong, history.

The United States of America, because of the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution, was actually a global leader in abolishing slavery.

Slavery was a global phenemenon. Economies were reliant on it. You couldn’t just snap your fingers and make that kind of global tradition go away. The world still hasn’t rid itself of slavery. But we have and did. And we did it before most of the rest of the civilized world because our imperfect Founding Fathers had foresight.

This is a load of shit. Almost the entirety of Europe and the Americas abolished slavery long before us. Great Sark > Ty moment for us beating out most of Asia and Africa, which certainly wasn't considered the "civilized world" in the 19th century.

ATBSCKS. But so does Jason Whitlock.

This is not true. Most of the Americas had WAY more slaves...Brazil had 20-30 times more than the US, the Caribbean had more, other South American countries had more

Europe no longer had expansive colonies, but even the ones that "abolished" slavery like progressive Utopia Belgium established practices arguably worse than slavery. Ever read Heart of Darkness? First punishment for not meeting harvesting quota - chop off your hand. 2nd offense? We are going to feed your child to a cannibal tribe

You liberals are literally ignorant of history. That is the fucking problem. You are naive and dumb. West African kingdoms conquered weaker kingdoms and sold the fucking human beings as slaves. Should Africans give black Americans reparations?

How come the Middle East doesnt have a huge black population? After all, 50 to 100 times more Africans were enslaved in the Middle East than ever went to the Americas. Hmmm...maybe it's because Arabs literally cut their fucking dicks off to prevent them from ever reproducing, and the labor was so cruel most died within 5 years. There is still this type of slavery going on in North Africa today.

Lets not even touch on the fact the word slave literally comes from Slav, as in the Slavic ethnic group. Every culture in the history of the world has been subject to fucked up imprisonment. Look up the word "janissary"

Leftists....educate yourselves or fuck off and go be a dumbass in your own bubble
    First off, you know Heart of Darkness was fiction, right?

I never really studied slavery outside of US, the UK, the Barbary Coast, Portugal and a little bit of the Carribbean (primarily Haiti) so this is a good project.

Looking specifically at the Americas because you're claiming most of the Americas had way more slaves than the US.

1811 Chile declares Freedom of Wombs, bans slave trade and frees slaves who have been in Chile longer than six months (fully abolished in 1823)

1824 Slavery effectively abolished in Mexico (full emancipation by 1829). Also abolished in Central America.

1830 Slavery abolished in Uruguay

1832 Slavery abolished in Greece.

1835 Serbia frees any slave who sets foot in Serbia

1842 Paraguay passes law to gradually abolish slavery

1851 Slavery abolished in Uruguay

1853 Slavery abolished in Argentina

1854 Slavery abolished in Peru and Venezuela

Places in the Americas that abolished slavery after the US:

Puerto Rico (1873), Cuba (1886)

Brazil was allegedly the last country in the western world to abolish slavery (1888) and definitely had a lot more slaves than we? did as you noted.

I'm not finding any evidence to support your claim that "most of the Americas had way more slaves" than the US did though. Cuba, Hispaniola and Jamaica definitely did. Brazil as well. Barbados may have. Do you have a link on the claim that most of the Americas had more? Ecuador and Argentina appear to have had much less though it's hard to narrow down figures there. Mexico definitely had less, Canada, Peru, Colombia, Venezuela way less. (It seems much easier to find the numbers of slaves imported than the actual numbers of slaves owned so I'm using imported as a proxy for number of slaves, if anyone has a link to a good source for total number owned I'd love to see it. I know the US was good at breeding slaves. I assume other places were as well, other than the Muslim areas as PGOS notes.)

As far as I can tell Gatorz claims seem to be pretty accurate. We? certainly weren't any kind of global leader in the abolition movement. We were later (though not last) than most of Europe and the Americas. And yes we were ahead of 1800's Asia and Africa which no one is holding up as any kind of example of

I like Whitlock more than Kaepernick but he overstated a lot of his case. His arguments about Frederick Douglass and Kaep's bastardizations of Douglass's quotes were far more accurate and effective than his assertions about the US's place in the movement to abolish slaves.

We weren't the latest but we were late on this.
    I never claimed America was first, despite as was noted that the Northern states were early in that timeline. The rest of the world continued to buy/rely on Southern state cotton

A lot of those countries you referenced were/are tiny and did not have many slaves. Still good on them for doing what they did.

The heavy hitters were the Caribbeans, Brazil, Columbia, Venezuela, Argentina.

Serbia is a tiny speck of a European country. I listed tons of examples of the big Euro wannabe empires being shitty human rights advocates well into the 20th century

Heart of Darkness is fiction...eyeroll..come on DNC no shit. But it is historical fiction based on the nightmare of atrocities Belgium and King Leopold committed in the Congo in the fucking 20th century

First thing that happens when you Google Belgian Congo:

"From 1885 to 1908, loot flowed endlessly from the dark interior of the jungle, up the river Congo and into colonial Belgium. Estimates of deaths in that period range from 10 million to 15 million Africans, and the debate whether it constituted a genocide continues."

Sounds like a fucking 20th century genocide of Africans done by Europeans to me. There are many more incidents like that. Very progressive.
    I am not defending Belgiun Congo which is a fucking dreckfest of historic proportions. I just thought it was odd that you asked if we had read Heart of Darkness as if it was an example of real history. There are much better accounts of the actual atrocities there than that, though I do know it was a powerful work for equality and for good. It was just weird you brought up a work of fiction, like asking someone if they had read Uncle Tom's Cabin in a debate about American slavery.

Not a big deal just odd.

I'm not the one who claimed most of the Americas had more slaves than the US so the fact most of those places are smaller than us isn't applicable. If you want to argue slaves per capita that's a different thing but I don't even know where one would begin to find that kind of data. It's beyond what I'm willing to sacrifice of my day that's for sure.
  • Options

SFGbob said:

thechatch said:

Whitlock is probably in the top 10 for black guys that get called an Uncle Tom by white guys. He’s a blowhard but I’ve never understood the vitriol some people have for that guy.

The United States of America, because of the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution, was actually a global leader in abolishing slavery.

Slavery was a global phenemenon. Economies were reliant on it. You couldn’t just snap your fingers and make that kind of global tradition go away. The world still hasn’t rid itself of slavery. But we have and did. And we did it before most of the rest of the civilized world because our imperfect Founding Fathers had foresight.

This is a load of shit. Almost the entirety of Europe and the Americas abolished slavery long before us. Great Sark > Ty moment for us beating out most of Asia and Africa, which certainly wasn't considered the "civilized world" in the 19th century.

This is not true. Most of the Americas had WAY more slaves...Brazil had 20-30 times more than the US, the Caribbean had more, other South American countries had more

Europe no longer had expansive colonies, but even the ones that "abolished" slavery like progressive Utopia Belgium established practices arguably worse than slavery. Ever read Heart of Darkness? First punishment for not meeting harvesting quota - chop off your hand. 2nd offense? We are going to feed your child to a cannibal tribe

You liberals are literally ignorant of history. That is the fucking problem. You are naive and dumb. West African kingdoms conquered weaker kingdoms and sold the fucking human beings as slaves. Should Africans give black Americans reparations?

How come the Middle East doesnt have a huge black population? After all, 50 to 100 times more Africans were enslaved in the Middle East than ever went to the Americas. Hmmm...maybe it's because Arabs literally cut their fucking dicks off to prevent them from ever reproducing, and the labor was so cruel most died within 5 years. There is still this type of slavery going on in North Africa today.

Lets not even touch on the fact the word slave literally comes from Slav, as in the Slavic ethnic group. Every culture in the history of the world has been subject to fucked up imprisonment. Look up the word "janissary"

Leftists....educate yourselves or fuck off and go be a dumbass in your own bubble
    This is a lot of words to say a lot of nothing, which is becoming par for the course for the new angry and politically incensed PGOS.

Bottom line, holding up the U.S. as some trailblazer of abolishing slavery, which was the thrust of Whitlock's article, is fucking stupid. Of course Europe still had colonies with slavery, that's not the fucking discussion. If you spend lest time diving into angry rants about how the left is ruining your life you might recognize that the point here is pretty fucking simple.

I've always been angry and I've always hated ignorant takes. This is nothing new.

So, the US abolishing slavery and white men dying to free slaves in the Civil War wasnt a trailblazing act. But the French Foriegn Legion, Belgium Congo, German Namibia, Dutch apartheid, the British starving millions in India....all 50+ years after the US abolished slavery...yeah Gatorz, those are the real human rights trailblazers

Go fuck yourself. Youre an idiot.

My life is great and I enjoy calling out this bullshit when I see it.
    The northern states were ending slavery around the same time that most of the "civilized" world was ending slavery and Russia didn't end serfdom until the 1860s. The rest of the world wasn't so enlightened that they refused to purchase the cotton that was being produced by slaves in the southern US.
    People forget that the "enlightened" slavery banning British Empire came darn close to recognizing the CSA. It took a lot of political skill on the part of honest Abe's administration to prevent this. It's almost like the Brits were willing to outsource the problem to 'Murica.

I have no issue with saying slavery and taking @Swaye 's land are the 2 original sins. But it's also important to remember that no country paid as high of a price in blood and treasure as the US to end slavery.
    I honestly don't disagree.

There's a reason the US was late to abolish slavery and it's called the US Senate which was a great idea for most things but terrible in that it gave the slaveholding states so much power. This specific peculiarity of our governance is also why the US had to pay such a high price to end it.

Slavery is where we find a unique other side of the coin to the idea of American exceptionalism. We? tend to think we're special at everything we do though it's often not true. Now we are being hailed as special for the awful things we did though it's not especially true in this case either.

Still the best, just not exceptional. Don't twist.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,110
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited July 2020

SFGbob said:

thechatch said:

This is a lot of words to say a lot of nothing, which is becoming par for the course for the new angry and politically incensed PGOS.

Bottom line, holding up the U.S. as some trailblazer of abolishing slavery, which was the thrust of Whitlock's article, is fucking stupid. Of course Europe still had colonies with slavery, that's not the fucking discussion. If you spend lest time diving into angry rants about how the left is ruining your life you might recognize that the point here is pretty fucking simple.

I've always been angry and I've always hated ignorant takes. This is nothing new.

So, the US abolishing slavery and white men dying to free slaves in the Civil War wasnt a trailblazing act. But the French Foriegn Legion, Belgium Congo, German Namibia, Dutch apartheid, the British starving millions in India....all 50+ years after the US abolished slavery...yeah Gatorz, those are the real human rights trailblazers

The northern states were ending slavery around the same time that most of the "civilized" world was ending slavery and Russia didn't end serfdom until the 1860s. The rest of the world wasn't so enlightened that they refused to purchase the cotton that was being produced by slaves in the southern US.
    People forget that the "enlightened" slavery banning British Empire came darn close to recognizing the CSA. It took a lot of political skill on the part of honest Abe's administration to prevent this. It's almost like the Brits were willing to outsource the problem to 'Murica.

I have no issue with saying slavery and taking @Swaye 's land are the 2 original sins. But it's also important to remember that no country paid as high of a price in blood and treasure as the US to end slavery.
    The Civil War was launched first and foremost to preserve the Union. If you want to argue it was also motivated by a desire to stop the spread of slavery, you're correct. The Battle Hymn of the Republic is an awesome piece of music, but it's not a work of history.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,501
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

dnc said:

thechatch said:

First off, you know Heart of Darkness was fiction, right?

I never really studied slavery outside of US, the UK, the Barbary Coast, Portugal and a little bit of the Carribbean (primarily Haiti) so this is a good project.

Looking specifically at the Americas because you're claiming most of the Americas had way more slaves than the US.

1811 Chile declares Freedom of Wombs, bans slave trade and frees slaves who have been in Chile longer than six months (fully abolished in 1823)

1824 Slavery effectively abolished in Mexico (full emancipation by 1829). Also abolished in Central America.

1830 Slavery abolished in Uruguay

1832 Slavery abolished in Greece.

1835 Serbia frees any slave who sets foot in Serbia

1842 Paraguay passes law to gradually abolish slavery

1851 Slavery abolished in Uruguay

1853 Slavery abolished in Argentina

1854 Slavery abolished in Peru and Venezuela

Places in the Americas that abolished slavery after the US:

Puerto Rico (1873), Cuba (1886)

Brazil was allegedly the last country in the western world to abolish slavery (1888) and definitely had a lot more slaves than we? did as you noted.

I'm not finding any evidence to support your claim that "most of the Americas had way more slaves" than the US did though. Cuba, Hispaniola and Jamaica definitely did. Brazil as well. Barbados may have. Do you have a link on the claim that most of the Americas had more? Ecuador and Argentina appear to have had much less though it's hard to narrow down figures there. Mexico definitely had less, Canada, Peru, Colombia, Venezuela way less. (It seems much easier to find the numbers of slaves imported than the actual numbers of slaves owned so I'm using imported as a proxy for number of slaves, if anyone has a link to a good source for total number owned I'd love to see it. I know the US was good at breeding slaves. I assume other places were as well, other than the Muslim areas as PGOS notes.)

As far as I can tell Gatorz claims seem to be pretty accurate. We? certainly weren't any kind of global leader in the abolition movement. We were later (though not last) than most of Europe and the Americas. And yes we were ahead of 1800's Asia and Africa which no one is holding up as any kind of example of

I like Whitlock more than Kaepernick but he overstated a lot of his case. His arguments about Frederick Douglass and Kaep's bastardizations of Douglass's quotes were far more accurate and effective than his assertions about the US's place in the movement to abolish slaves.

We weren't the latest but we were late on this.
    I never claimed America was first, despite as was noted that the Northern states were early in that timeline. The rest of the world continued to buy/rely on Southern state cotton

A lot of those countries you referenced were/are tiny and did not have many slaves. Still good on them for doing what they did.

The heavy hitters were the Caribbeans, Brazil, Columbia, Venezuela, Argentina.

Serbia is a tiny speck of a European country. I listed tons of examples of the big Euro wannabe empires being shitty human rights advocates well into the 20th century

Heart of Darkness is fiction...eyeroll..come on DNC no shit. But it is historical fiction based on the nightmare of atrocities Belgium and King Leopold committed in the Congo in the fucking 20th century

First thing that happens when you Google Belgian Congo:

"From 1885 to 1908, loot flowed endlessly from the dark interior of the jungle, up the river Congo and into colonial Belgium. Estimates of deaths in that period range from 10 million to 15 million Africans, and the debate whether it constituted a genocide continues."

Sounds like a fucking 20th century genocide of Africans done by Europeans to me. There are many more incidents like that. Very progressive.
    I am not defending Belgiun Congo which is a fucking dreckfest of historic proportions. I just thought it was odd that you asked if we had read Heart of Darkness as if it was an example of real history. There are much better accounts of the actual atrocities there than that, though I do know it was a powerful work for equality and for good. It was just weird you brought up a work of fiction, like asking someone if they had read Uncle Tom's Cabin in a debate about American slavery.

Not a big deal just odd.

I'm not the one who claimed most of the Americas had more slaves than the US so the fact most of those places are smaller than us isn't applicable. If you want to argue slaves per capita that's a different thing but I don't even know where one would begin to find that kind of data. It's beyond what I'm willing to sacrifice of my day that's for sure.
    I didn't want to have to do this because I thought it was common knowledge. So here you go:

I referenced Heart of Darkness because it's pretty much the only source of media on the topic some people have heard of. Next time a European brings up slavery or America bad, reference good ole King Leopold and tell them an analogy about a glass fucking house and a stone

Hopefully this is helpful to you DNC

• Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    500,000 dead to end slavery in the USA and as @PostGameOrangeSlices pointed out, what replaced slavery in some countries was basically still
    dnc said:

SFGbob said:

thechatch said:

There's a reason the US was late to abolish slavery and it's called the US Senate which was a great idea for most things but terrible in that it gave the slaveholding states so much power. This specific peculiarity of our governance is also why the US had to pay such a high price to end it.

Slavery is where we find a unique other side of the coin to the idea of American exceptionalism. We? tend to think we're special at everything we do though it's often not true. Now we are being hailed as special for the awful things we did though it's not especially true in this case either.

Senate or not, the southern state Democrats weren’t going to willingly give up theirs slaves based on a policy from DC be it in 1790 or 1860.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

thechatch said:

That wasn't the "thrust" of the article the way I read it. The thrust is that Kaepernick is a fraud and that his tweeting of Fredrick Douglas speech in order to condemn America’s Independence Day, is an example of that ignorance.

Btw, which country has done more to abolish slavery around the world other than maybe England, than the US?

Agreed. Kaep has always been an opportunistic fuck. He probably didn't know who Frederick Douglass was until 5 years ago.

And whatever steps we?'ve taken to abolish global slavery in the last century doesn't change the fact that we? weren't FIRST.
    The article doesn't claim we were first but please continue with your strawman ass rape.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

thechatch said:

That wasn't the "thrust" of the article the way I read it. The thrust is that Kaepernick is a fraud and that his tweeting of Fredrick Douglas speech in order to condemn America’s Independence Day, is an example of that ignorance.

Btw, which country has done more to abolish slavery around the world other than maybe England, than the US?

Agreed. Kaep has always been an opportunistic fuck. He probably didn't know who Frederick Douglass was until 5 years ago.

And whatever steps we?'ve taken to abolish global slavery in the last century doesn't change the fact that we? weren't FIRST.
    The article doesn't claim we were first but please continue with your strawman ass rape.
    But it does claim we were a global leader in abolition, which isn't true either.
  • Options

500,000 dead to end slavery in the USA and as @PostGameOrangeSlices pointed out, what replaced slavery in some countries was basically still

dnc said:

SFGbob said:

thechatch said:

Senate or not, the southern state Democrats weren’t going to willingly give up theirs slaves based on a policy from DC be it in 1790 or 1860.
    I honestly don't disagree
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited July 2020
    dnc said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

thechatch said:

But it does claim we were a global leader in abolition, which isn't true either.
    The Northern states had abolition policy in 1807! Look at the fucking charts I found for you. Fifty years later thousands died to prevent the South from splitting. Why did the South want to split? Slavery

For further reading Emory university has an entire database on the topic I pulled the graphs from
  • Options
    Swaye said:

Great graphic and HOLY SHIT, I had no idea more slaves went to South America and the West Indies than the rest of the world by a factor of like 10. Brazil needs to pay reparations stat!

Yeah Brazil was the worst of the worst in both quantity and length. Rio De Janeiro alone had more slaves come through it's port than most other nations of the world (including the US).

It's grim.

• Options
    edited July 2020

dnc said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

thechatch said:

The Northern states had abolition policy in 1807! Look at the fucking charts I found for you. Fifty years later thousands died to prevent the South from splitting. Why did the South want to split? Slavery

For further reading Emory university has an entire database on the topic I pulled the graphs from
    If you want to argue there were Americans who were ahead of the curve on abolition that is certainly true. Jefferson saw the writing on the wall 30 years before 1807. But, unfortunately, as a nation the US was allowing and even expanding the territory where slavery was legal longer than most places in the western world.

It was obviously far from a monolith on slavery - there was plenty of opposition. But the facts are the facts and the fact is as a nation we were late but thankfully not last.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

Great graphic and HOLY SHIT, I had no idea more slaves went to South America and the West Indies than the rest of the world by a factor of like 10. Brazil needs to pay reparations stat!

That's not a accident that you don't know that. That information is intentionally downplayed.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

Yeah Brazil was the worst of the worst in both quantity and length. Rio De Janeiro alone had more slaves come through it's port than most other nations of the world (including the US).

It's grim.

What were they doing down there? We have cotton in the US and Sugar Cane in the indies, what was slavery used for in Brazil (and how could you need 5 MILLION people to do it)? Is there a great wall of South America that stretches around the continent or some shit?
  • Options
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

dnc said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

thechatch said:

If you want to argue there were Americans who were ahead of the curve on abolition that may be true. But as a nation the US was allowing and even expanding the territory where slavery was legal longer than most places in the western world.

It was obviously far from a monolith on slavery - there was plenty of opposition. But the facts are the facts and the fact is as a nation we were late but thankfully not last.
    At that point in history American states were more of a contingent of countries banding together than a monolithic Fed

So sure - southern plantation owners were late to the morally right game. No shit.

The reason I started this argument was becuase of Gatorz insinuating Europe was some kind of beacon of morality when the truth is the polar opposite and they were committing state sponsored genocides based on race a long time after the civil war
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    SFGbob said:

Swaye said:

That's not a accident that you don't know that. That information is intentionally downplayed.
    I like to think of myself as a pretty well read and savvy dude when I'm not drunk or changing diapers, and I honestly had no idea the scale was that massive in Brazil or the Indies. I mean, I knew the Indies was pretty heavy for the sugar trade, but damn. Why does the US take all the shit for slavery? It appears, if these numbers are to be believed, it was WAY worse, by a factor of like 10, elsewhere.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

It's grim.

What were they doing down there? We have cotton in the US and Sugar Cane in the indies, what was slavery used for in Brazil (and how could you need 5 MILLION people to do it)? Is there a great wall of South America that stretches around the continent or some shit?
    Check out the numbers on the mortality rates and lifespan for African slaves that were shipped to South America and the Caribbean. One of the reasons why they needed so many of them.