Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jason Whitlock: Colin Kaepernick is a fraud

Comments

• thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,484
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Whitlock is probably in the top 10 for black guys that get called an Uncle Tom by white guys. He’s a blowhard but I’ve never understood the vitriol some people have for that guy.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    thechatch said:

Whitlock is probably in the top 10 for black guys that get called an Uncle Tom by white guys. He’s a blowhard but I’ve never understood the vitriol some people have for that guy.

I thought it was an outstanding article
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    Swaye's Wigwam
    thechatch said:

Democrats hate runners
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

thechatch said:

It really wasn't. And it was chalk full of bad, and flat-out wrong, history.

The United States of America, because of the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution, was actually a global leader in abolishing slavery.

Slavery was a global phenemenon. Economies were reliant on it. You couldn’t just snap your fingers and make that kind of global tradition go away. The world still hasn’t rid itself of slavery. But we have and did. And we did it before most of the rest of the civilized world because our imperfect Founding Fathers had foresight.

This is a load of shit. Almost the entirety of Europe and the Americas abolished slavery long before us. Great Sark > Ty moment for us beating out most of Asia and Africa, which certainly wasn't considered the "civilized world" in the 19th century.

ATBSCKS. But so does Jason Whitlock.

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He sacrificed everything...
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    "black guys that get called an Uncle Tom by white guys"

Great comment - love this one. I always thought that was a black on black slam

thechatch said:

The United States of America, because of the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution, was actually a global leader in abolishing slavery.

Slavery was a global phenemenon. Economies were reliant on it. You couldn’t just snap your fingers and make that kind of global tradition go away. The world still hasn’t rid itself of slavery. But we have and did. And we did it before most of the rest of the civilized world because our imperfect Founding Fathers had foresight.

This is a load of shit. Almost the entirety of Europe and the Americas abolished slavery long before us. Great Sark > Ty moment for us beating out most of Asia and Africa, which certainly wasn't considered the "civilized world" in the 19th century.

This is not true. Most of the Americas had WAY more slaves...Brazil had 20-30 times more than the US, the Caribbean had more, other South American countries had more

Europe no longer had expansive colonies, but even the ones that "abolished" slavery like progressive Utopia Belgium established practices arguably worse than slavery. Ever read Heart of Darkness? First punishment for not meeting harvesting quota - chop off your hand. 2nd offense? We are going to feed your child to a cannibal tribe

You liberals are literally ignorant of history. That is the fucking problem. You are naive and dumb. West African kingdoms conquered weaker kingdoms and sold the fucking human beings as slaves. Should Africans give black Americans reparations?

How come the Middle East doesnt have a huge black population? After all, 50 to 100 times more Africans were enslaved in the Middle East than ever went to the Americas. Hmmm...maybe it's because Arabs literally cut their fucking dicks off to prevent them from ever reproducing, and the labor was so cruel most died within 5 years. There is still this type of slavery going on in North Africa today.

Lets not even touch on the fact the word slave literally comes from Slav, as in the Slavic ethnic group. Every culture in the history of the world has been subject to fucked up imprisonment. Look up the word "janissary"

Leftists....educate yourselves or fuck off and go be a dumbass in your own bubble
    This is a lot of words to say a lot of nothing, which is becoming par for the course for the new angry and politically incensed PGOS.

Bottom line, holding up the U.S. as some trailblazer of abolishing slavery, which was the thrust of Whitlock's article, is fucking stupid. Of course Europe still had colonies with slavery, that's not the fucking discussion. If you spend lest time diving into angry rants about how the left is ruining your life you might recognize that the point here is pretty fucking simple.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,483
    edited July 2020
    The entire world was involved in slavery. It was America that helped end it world wide. That America evolved and did this should be a reason to celebrate not hate.

All those that think America is so racist are also free, to leave, for a better place. That doesn't seem to be a popular option though, I wonder why?

thechatch said:

This is not true. Most of the Americas had WAY more slaves...Brazil had 20-30 times more than the US, the Caribbean had more, other South American countries had more

Europe no longer had expansive colonies, but even the ones that "abolished" slavery like progressive Utopia Belgium established practices arguably worse than slavery. Ever read Heart of Darkness? First punishment for not meeting harvesting quota - chop off your hand. 2nd offense? We are going to feed your child to a cannibal tribe

You liberals are literally ignorant of history. That is the fucking problem. You are naive and dumb. West African kingdoms conquered weaker kingdoms and sold the fucking human beings as slaves. Should Africans give black Americans reparations?

How come the Middle East doesnt have a huge black population? After all, 50 to 100 times more Africans were enslaved in the Middle East than ever went to the Americas. Hmmm...maybe it's because Arabs literally cut their fucking dicks off to prevent them from ever reproducing, and the labor was so cruel most died within 5 years. There is still this type of slavery going on in North Africa today.

Lets not even touch on the fact the word slave literally comes from Slav, as in the Slavic ethnic group. Every culture in the history of the world has been subject to fucked up imprisonment. Look up the word "janissary"

Leftists....educate yourselves or fuck off and go be a dumbass in your own bubble
    This is a lot of words to say a lot of nothing, which is becoming par for the course for the new angry and politically incensed PGOS.

Bottom line, holding up the U.S. as some trailblazer of abolishing slavery, which was the thrust of Whitlock's article, is fucking stupid. Of course Europe still had colonies with slavery, that's not the fucking discussion. If you spend lest time diving into angry rants about how the left is ruining your life you might recognize that the point here is pretty fucking simple.

I've always been angry and I've always hated ignorant takes. This is nothing new.

So, the US abolishing slavery and white men dying to free slaves in the Civil War wasnt a trailblazing act. But the French Foriegn Legion, Belgium Congo, German Namibia, Dutch apartheid, the British starving millions in India....all 50+ years after the US abolished slavery...yeah Gatorz, those are the real human rights trailblazers

Go fuck yourself. Youre an idiot.

My life is great and I enjoy calling out this bullshit when I see it.
    No, the U.S. abolishing slavery in the 1860s was not a trailblazing act. Like I said, most of Europe and the Americas had already done it prior, in some cases by hundreds of years. That a lot of those same countries still held slaves in their colonies doesn't conflict with that fact.

You should try struggling to grasp that a little less.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,467
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

thechatch said:

I've always been angry and I've always hated ignorant takes. This is nothing new.

So, the US abolishing slavery and white men dying to free slaves in the Civil War wasnt a trailblazing act. But the French Foriegn Legion, Belgium Congo, German Namibia, Dutch apartheid, the British starving millions in India....all 50+ years after the US abolished slavery...yeah Gatorz, those are the real human rights trailblazers

Go fuck yourself. Youre an idiot.

My life is great and I enjoy calling out this bullshit when I see it.
    No, the U.S. abolishing slavery in the 1860s was not a trailblazing act. Like I said, most of Europe and the Americas had already done it prior, in some cases by hundreds of years. That a lot of those same countries still held slaves in their colonies doesn't conflict with that fact.

You should try struggling to grasp that a little less.
    "They abolished slavery...but still had slaves...but it doesn't count because most weren't on progressive, holier than thou European soil."

You are a fucking idiot. Case closed.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

thechatch said:

That wasn't the "thrust" of the article the way I read it. The thrust is that Kaepernick is a fraud and that his tweeting of Fredrick Douglas speech in order to condemn America’s Independence Day, is an example of that ignorance.

Btw, which country has done more to abolish slavery around the world other than maybe England, than the US?

SFGbob said:

thechatch said:

That wasn't the "thrust" of the article the way I read it. The thrust is that Kaepernick is a fraud and that his tweeting of Fredrick Douglas speech in order to condemn America’s Independence Day, is an example of that ignorance.

Btw, which country has done more to abolish slavery around the world other than maybe England, than the US?

Agreed. Kaep has always been an opportunistic fuck. He probably didn't know who Frederick Douglass was until 5 years ago.

And whatever steps we?'ve taken to abolish global slavery in the last century doesn't change the fact that we? weren't FIRST.
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

thechatch said:

You’re embarrassing yourself again. You told flat-out lies as a rebuttal. Fortunately @PostGameOrangeSlices already exposed your naïveté and ignorance. Slavery still exists today, by the way, for millions of people. Hell, China has a million Muslims working in “re-eduction” camps and your party’s Presidential candidate and his son are completely owned by Xi, yet you don’t care.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited July 2020

thechatch said:

First off, you know Heart of Darkness was fiction, right?

I never really studied slavery outside of US, the UK, the Barbary Coast, Portugal and a little bit of the Carribbean (primarily Haiti) so this is a good project.

Looking specifically at the Americas because you're claiming most of the Americas had way more slaves than the US.

1811 Chile declares Freedom of Wombs, bans slave trade and frees slaves who have been in Chile longer than six months (fully abolished in 1823)

1824 Slavery effectively abolished in Mexico (full emancipation by 1829). Also abolished in Central America.

1830 Slavery abolished in Uruguay

1842 Paraguay passes law to gradually abolish slavery

1851 Slavery abolished in Uruguay

1853 Slavery abolished in Argentina

1854 Slavery abolished in Peru and Venezuela

Places in the Americas that abolished slavery after the US:

Puerto Rico (1873), Cuba (1886)

Brazil was allegedly the last country in the western world to abolish slavery (1888) and definitely had a lot more slaves than we? did as you noted.

I'm not finding any evidence to support your claim that "most of the Americas had way more slaves" than the US did though. Cuba, Hispaniola and Jamaica definitely did. Brazil as well. Barbados may have. Do you have a link on the claim that most of the Americas had more? Ecuador and Argentina appear to have had much less though it's hard to narrow down figures there. Mexico definitely had less, Canada, Peru, Colombia, Venezuela way less. (It seems much easier to find the numbers of slaves imported than the actual numbers of slaves owned so I'm using imported as a proxy for number of slaves, if anyone has a link to a good source for total number owned I'd love to see it. I know the US was good at breeding slaves. I assume other places were as well, other than the Muslim areas as PGOS notes.)

As far as I can tell Gatorz claims seem to be pretty accurate. We? certainly weren't any kind of global leader in the abolition movement. We were later (though not last) than most of Europe and the Americas. And yes we were ahead of 1800's Asia and Africa which no one is holding up as any kind of example of

I like Whitlock more than Kaepernick but he overstated a lot of his case. His arguments about Frederick Douglass and Kaep's bastardizations of Douglass's quotes were far more accurate and effective than his assertions about the US's place in the movement to abolish slaves.

We weren't the latest but we were late on this.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,467
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

thechatch said:

First off, you know Heart of Darkness was fiction, right?

I never really studied slavery outside of US, the UK, the Barbary Coast, Portugal and a little bit of the Carribbean (primarily Haiti) so this is a good project.

Looking specifically at the Americas because you're claiming most of the Americas had way more slaves than the US.

1811 Chile declares Freedom of Wombs, bans slave trade and frees slaves who have been in Chile longer than six months (fully abolished in 1823)

1824 Slavery effectively abolished in Mexico (full emancipation by 1829). Also abolished in Central America.

1830 Slavery abolished in Uruguay

1832 Slavery abolished in Greece.

1835 Serbia frees any slave who sets foot in Serbia

1842 Paraguay passes law to gradually abolish slavery

1851 Slavery abolished in Uruguay

1853 Slavery abolished in Argentina

1854 Slavery abolished in Peru and Venezuela

Places in the Americas that abolished slavery after the US:

Puerto Rico (1873), Cuba (1886)

Brazil was allegedly the last country in the western world to abolish slavery (1888) and definitely had a lot more slaves than we? did as you noted.

I'm not finding any evidence to support your claim that "most of the Americas had way more slaves" than the US did though. Cuba, Hispaniola and Jamaica definitely did. Brazil as well. Barbados may have. Do you have a link on the claim that most of the Americas had more? Ecuador and Argentina appear to have had much less though it's hard to narrow down figures there. Mexico definitely had less, Canada, Peru, Colombia, Venezuela way less. (It seems much easier to find the numbers of slaves imported than the actual numbers of slaves owned so I'm using imported as a proxy for number of slaves, if anyone has a link to a good source for total number owned I'd love to see it. I know the US was good at breeding slaves. I assume other places were as well, other than the Muslim areas as PGOS notes.)

As far as I can tell Gatorz claims seem to be pretty accurate. We? certainly weren't any kind of global leader in the abolition movement. We were later (though not last) than most of Europe and the Americas. And yes we were ahead of 1800's Asia and Africa which no one is holding up as any kind of example of

I like Whitlock more than Kaepernick but he overstated a lot of his case. His arguments about Frederick Douglass and Kaep's bastardizations of Douglass's quotes were far more accurate and effective than his assertions about the US's place in the movement to abolish slaves.

We weren't the latest but we were late on this.
    I never claimed America was first, despite as was noted that the Northern states were early in that timeline. The rest of the world continued to buy/rely on Southern state cotton

A lot of those countries you referenced were/are tiny and did not have many slaves. Still good on them for doing what they did.

The heavy hitters were the Caribbeans, Brazil, Columbia, Venezuela, Argentina.

Serbia is a tiny speck of a European country. I listed tons of examples of the big Euro wannabe empires being shitty human rights advocates well into the 20th century

Heart of Darkness is fiction...eyeroll..come on DNC no shit. But it is historical fiction based on the nightmare of atrocities Belgium and King Leopold committed in the Congo in the fucking 20th century

First thing that happens when you Google Belgian Congo:

"From 1885 to 1908, loot flowed endlessly from the dark interior of the jungle, up the river Congo and into colonial Belgium. Estimates of deaths in that period range from 10 million to 15 million Africans, and the debate whether it constituted a genocide continues."

Sounds like a fucking 20th century genocide of Africans done by Europeans to me. There are many more incidents like that. Very progressive.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mao only killed 40 to 80 million Chinese but at least it wasn't slavery