Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Suck it, youngsters.

124»

Comments

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    While I loved those guys, Roy especially, as he was really the first superstar the Huskies had when I began following them, being from the East Coast of Canada I would get to see maybe a handful of Husky games a year, and that's only when they were actually good. Years when they were bad, i'd sometimes never get to see them at all.
    Thanks to reddit streaming, it's been much easier to actually watch the games now, so ya, there probably is a bit of a recency
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,659
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I don't like the athleticism argument. Obviously players of today are more athletic...they've had the advantage of growing up in a time when there's better knowledge and equipment for sports training and performance.

If Michael Jordan had been born in 1995, he'd be stronger, faster, and better at the game today than he was when he was actually 25 due to all those advantages.

So if you want to take an older player and compare him with today's players, you have to take into account that the older player would be improved if he was born in a more modern era.

That’s not how this works. Watch people dribble and shoot in the 80s and before.

Then watch now.

It’s not just the strength and conditioning difference (which is considerable).

Guys literally can’t shoot OR dribble.

Sure they can take an elbow in the face and get back up, but so what? Nobody in their right mind thinks basketball is some full contact blood sport with a ball thrown in.

But if it was, I’m pretty sure LeBron James would be even more dominant. Can you imagine Isaih Thomas trying to tackle LeBron going to the hoop?

LeBron would have quit attacking after a couple shots from Salley, Laimbeer, and Rodman (unlike Jordan). I like LeBron, but he is a pussy.
    He’s somewhat mentally soft. He still would dominate in any era. He would be way too big and fast for anyone back then. He also would still have an elite IQ.
    What's weird is that the new guys ALWAYS could play in the past - but the old guys NEVER would adapt to future training, styles or anything of the sort.

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,659

While I loved those guys, Roy especially, as he was really the first superstar the Huskies had when I began following them, being from the East Coast of Canada I would get to see maybe a handful of Husky games a year, and that's only when they were actually good. Years when they were bad, i'd sometimes never get to see them at all.
    Thanks to reddit streaming, it's been much easier to actually watch the games now, so ya, there probably is a bit of a recency

Please tell me you're not a Newfie.

• ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I don't like the athleticism argument. Obviously players of today are more athletic...they've had the advantage of growing up in a time when there's better knowledge and equipment for sports training and performance.

If Michael Jordan had been born in 1995, he'd be stronger, faster, and better at the game today than he was when he was actually 25 due to all those advantages.

So if you want to take an older player and compare him with today's players, you have to take into account that the older player would be improved if he was born in a more modern era.

That’s not how this works. Watch people dribble and shoot in the 80s and before.

Then watch now.

It’s not just the strength and conditioning difference (which is considerable).

Guys literally can’t shoot OR dribble.

Sure they can take an elbow in the face and get back up, but so what? Nobody in their right mind thinks basketball is some full contact blood sport with a ball thrown in.

But if it was, I’m pretty sure LeBron James would be even more dominant. Can you imagine Isaih Thomas trying to tackle LeBron going to the hoop?

LeBron would have quit attacking after a couple shots from Salley, Laimbeer, and Rodman (unlike Jordan). I like LeBron, but he is a pussy.
    He’s somewhat mentally soft. He still would dominate in any era. He would be way too big and fast for anyone back then. He also would still have an elite IQ.
    What's weird is that the new guys ALWAYS could play in the past - but the old guys NEVER would adapt to future training, styles or anything of the sort.

That’s not it at all. The argument is that LeBron is one of the greatest of all time AND he’s a physical specimen. If you wanna argue that Steph Curry would get pushed around by Dennis Rodman or Xavier McDaniel, I’m not gonna argue too hard. But LeBron ain’t getting pushed around or bullied under the old rules.

Also the old guys were smaller, slower, weaker, and less skilled. You’re not making up for all that with a better diet or an AAU career.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Please tell me you're not a Newfie.

Copypastafarian
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2020

And Lebron is the only one to best Tim Duncan in a Final

Also the only one to lose 5 Finals.

Jim Kelly was a really good QB too.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    salemcoog said:

And Lebron is the only one to best Tim Duncan in a Final