Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Robert Wyrsch, 2021 3* OL, Soquel (HS), CA (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

It’s good that his dad is a weight lifter type and his mom is praising him wanting to body slam some midget on a basketball court.

Yes he looks tall and athletic enough for an OL of his size.

He is a good project guy. Project guys usually don’t pan out.

He looks like a good recruit to fill out the class with, not depend on.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

I just watched his HUDL and holy shit guys, quit the crying and star fucking. This guy is bad ass. That's a future OL playing dominating DL with speed to pursue and catch running backs and then punish them. All of his OL clips show him squaring up with and squashing guys who should be quicker than him.

He's good.

I’m 100% good with OL project guys like this. Get tall guys that already know how to be athletes and put weight on them. This is a lot like Mele.
    Also McGsry is a good comp.

Tall guys who have broad enough shoulders to carry 300+ but arent there yet and have quick feet are almost always a worthy risk as OL, provided you're not going to need them on the field for a few years (UW does not). This isn't a Matt James offer at all. This guy is thin, in shape, quick, mean, and will probably be strong as fuck with college level training and nutrition. I love him.
    Devin Burleson is also a good comp. Tall, big frame guy who is new to football. This kid may be further along than Butleson but he still has a ways to go.Burleson was never able to learn how to be a college football player. Hopefully this kid will. High ceiling, low floor.
    Did Burleson have any impressive film where he was running around wreaking havoc like a linebacker? I dont remember, but I'm thinking not.
    His basketball highlights were impressive
    James Atoe was good at basketball (allegedly...it was at now closed Watonka/Chenowith HS) and a future first rounder.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

It’s good that his dad is a weight lifter type and his mom is praising him wanting to body slam some midget on a basketball court.

Yes he looks tall and athletic enough for an OL of his size.

He is a good project guy. Project guys usually don’t pan out.

He looks like a good recruit to fill out the class with, not depend on.

Exactly true. I thing the ceiling/floor talk is fagfy TBS shit, but his ceiling is very high because he's exceptionally athletic for his size. I prefer these guys to be light and athletic in HS. Being able to move like smaller athletes when you get creates muscle memory and makes it easier to stay nimble after getting up to college OL weight.

It's really the way he plays defense that I like though. He looks like a football player, not just a big kid taking up space.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,097
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I like that he’s tenacious and tosses dudes down. He’s no Rosengarten, but he’s not a pussy either.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,055
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

I went to high school with a kid that didn’t play until his senior but as soon as pac 12 coaches saw his senior film while scouting other underclassmen players they all shit their pants and wanted to talk to him. Point is he was like 6-7 255 but by the way he moved they all projected as a potential high end tackle but he had already signed with a lower division school. He went on to make millions in the nfl. I know csb.

I don’t mind athletic reaches on the OL or buck position as long as they are not all reaches as it is a very specific rare body type for those spots.

That being said since this is uw i am sure that he will suck and Ballz will love his film and proclaim James atoe 2.0

He’s totally new to the sport and his film shows that but he’s got all the physical tools you look for in a future NFL offensive tackle and that’s all that matters when recruiting lineman. He looks like he’s got that Kaleb McGary freakish body in which he’s both huge and lean at the same time. Checkout his twitter, his dad is massive and strong as fuck and he’s raising his boys to be the same way. We won’t have to worry about him being some soft pussy who doesn’t lift and work hard. Solid pickup with high upside.

Have we ever gotten a more under the radar commitment before? I’ve literally never heard of this kid before and didn’t even know he had an offer from UW until the day he committed and everybody is like “who the fuq is that guy?”. UW fucks shit up with hidden gem recruits. Wyrsch will probably end up a 1st or 2nd-round draft pick to fulfill the typical 3-star with no Power-5 offers to college superstar story line everybody loves. He’s the kind of guy a program like Iowa identifies, develops, and has success with.

What is going on here?
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

I went to high school with a kid that didn’t play until his senior but as soon as pac 12 coaches saw his senior film while scouting other underclassmen players they all shit their pants and wanted to talk to him. Point is he was like 6-7 255 but by the way he moved they all projected as a potential high end tackle but he had already signed with a lower division school. He went on to make millions in the nfl. I know csb.

I don’t mind athletic reaches on the OL or buck position as long as they are not all reaches as it is a very specific rare body type for those spots.

That being said since this is uw i am sure that he will suck and Ballz will love his film and proclaim James atoe 2.0

He’s totally new to the sport and his film shows that but he’s got all the physical tools you look for in a future NFL offensive tackle and that’s all that matters when recruiting lineman. He looks like he’s got that Kaleb McGary freakish body in which he’s both huge and lean at the same time. Checkout his twitter, his dad is massive and strong as fuck and he’s raising his boys to be the same way. We won’t have to worry about him being some soft pussy who doesn’t lift and work hard. Solid pickup with high upside.

Have we ever gotten a more under the radar commitment before? I’ve literally never heard of this kid before and didn’t even know he had an offer from UW until the day he committed and everybody is like “who the fuq is that guy?”. UW fucks shit up with hidden gem recruits. Wyrsch will probably end up a 1st or 2nd-round draft pick to fulfill the typical 3-star with no Power-5 offers to college superstar story line everybody loves. He’s the kind of guy a program like Iowa identifies, develops, and has success with.

What is going on here?
    Doog legend Kirk Firentz wielding his influence yet again
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    This kid probably won't see the field until he is a rsjr. By that time he could be an absolute stud. With the depth we have at this moment, I think this is a true high reward project that they can afford to take on.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,870
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ballz has aids. Stay away from ballz or you will contract the aids. Worse then covid1-19 were taken from what I’ve heard.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

This kid probably won't see the field until he is a rsjr. By that time he could be an absolute stud. With the depth we have at this moment, I think this is a true high reward project that they can afford to take on.

How many kids don’t play until their RSJR year and are actually good? I’d put it at a very low percentage. It’s kind of a cliche saying. Year 3 is the latest a good player sees the field.
    Vita Vea is the lone example I got

2013: greyshirt
    2014: redshirt
    2015: goal line only
    2016: actually plays
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465

How many kids don’t play until their RSJR year and are actually good? I’d put it at a very low percentage. It’s kind of a cliche saying. Year 3 is the latest a good player sees the field.
    If kids like Buelow, Kelepo, and Rosengarten pan out for us, he probably doesn't see the field till he is a JR
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,541
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Baseman said:

Agreed. RS-SO ideally for a lineman, when accounting for two years of weights, roids, and quality stacked upper classes.
    This is more like a 70% accurate thing

I dont think Hilbers played til injury forced him to and he did well as an RS JR
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Baseman said:

Agreed. RS-SO ideally for a lineman, when accounting for two years of weights, roids, and quality stacked upper classes.

I dont think Hilbers played til injury forced him to and he did well as an RS JR

Baseman said:

He was the person I was thinking of
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Depends how well you're recruiting, right?

This was the typical pattern 30 years ago. But didn't we see a bunch of breakout upperclassmen under Petersen? I'm thinking about guys like Tupou, Hudson, Littleton, O'Brien, even (trigger warning) Wooching. Apart from Littleton, none of these guys was a world beater. But they all played sparingly until late in their careers and all wound up becoming significant contributors.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2020
    TTJ said:

Depends how well you're recruiting, right?

This was the typical pattern 30 years ago. But didn't we see a bunch of breakout upperclassmen under Petersen? I'm thinking about guys like Tupou, Hudson, Littleton, O'Brien, even (trigger warning) Wooching. Apart from Littleton, none of these guys was a world beater. But they all played sparingly until late in their careers and all wound up becoming significant contributors.
    They gotta be in the two deeps by their R-So year at minimum. A lot of guys you listed weren’t that good. Littleton is the best of the bunch and he played a ton his freshman and sophomore years before being a rotation player his junior year.

Hilbers was a good call. He was behind two All Conference players that were basically the same age and wouldn’t have seen the field at all his junior year if Adams didn’t get hurt.

Bain has only filled in his first three years and will probably be good.

There are exceptions, but there are still very few players that are good that sit for very long.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    D Turpin
    Z Turner
    D Daniels
    J Perkins
    J Mathis
    C Shelton
    D Campbell
    Jaylen J
    Shane B

Again, not world beaters. But late career contributors.

Even Kev and Lavon didn’t *really* turn it on until their junior years, right?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    TTJ said:

D Turpin
    Z Turner
    D Daniels
    J Perkins
    J Mathis
    C Shelton
    D Campbell
    Jaylen J
    Shane B

Definitely not.

Did either of them redshirt though?
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,900
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

TTJ said:

D Turpin
    Z Turner
    D Daniels
    J Perkins
    J Mathis
    C Shelton
    D Campbell
    Jaylen J
    Shane B

Definitely not.

Did either of them redshirt though?
    Lavon redshirted. Kevin King did not
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2020
    TTJ said:

D Turpin
    Z Turner
    D Daniels
    J Perkins
    J Mathis
    C Shelton
    D Campbell
    Jaylen J
    Shane B

Almost all those guys played early. Coleman Shelton was filling in and starting games as a freshman. Perkins was behind ASJ and did well once he was gone. Daniels was still only playing probably 50% or less of the snaps at TE as a senior. Not really any different from when he was a sophomore. Breaking out as a junior or senior is different than not playing at all before their junior year.

If you have studs in front of you, then it is possible to be buried before breaking out. The reality is tho, most of those guys will either transfer or get passed up by guys younger than them.