Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Maximum Carnage Week Game Thread

Comments

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,269
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye said:

I know Joe just ended Covid but I am going to keep this pinned for a bit because quarterly results are coming soon for Pfizer so Joe and the Dems may have to find a new variant.

No worries I'm certain Covid isn't the only one they have in stock.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,396
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He's following "the science".
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,930
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,396
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Hell, now even the left wing rag the Atlantic is telling us what we knew was going to happen in March of 2020. When a leftards says its for the kids, you know it ain't for the kids.

http://ace.mu.nu/

The Atlantic: Schools' Masking Policy Has Imposed a Serious, Possibly Permanent, Developmental Delay On Many Students
    —Ace
    The Atlantic published an article admitting the obvious: The masking mandates that the corrupt US and state and local governments forced on children, under pressure from the corrupt teachers unions have imposed developmental disorders on children that they may never recover from.

The early years of development are critical ones.

You don't get those back. These are critical years of development in which children's brains are wired to rewire themselves like crazy. Their brains will reconfigure themselves during these years like in no other point in their lives, ever.

There is no "Do Over" switch on a child's formative years.

Americans have been arguing about pandemic restrictions for two years, and the debate is particularly fraught among parents of small children, for good reasons. While measures such as masking and isolation mean temporary discomfort or inconvenience for most people, their consequences for still-developing young children are more mysterious, and possibly more significant and lasting.

Children with speech or language disorders offer perhaps the clearest example of these murky trade-offs. Pandemic restrictions vary by state, county, and school district, but I spoke with parents in California, New York, Massachusetts, Washington, New Jersey, Iowa, and Maryland who said their children's speech therapy has been disrupted--first by the loss of in-person therapy and then by masking requirements, in places that have them...

Many of the parents I spoke with are frustrated that they've been asked to compromise their children's social and academic life in the name of public safety. The early years of a child's life are important. Anything that threatens to interfere with development, whether that's COVID-19 or the mitigations in place to avoid it, can feel like rolling the dice on a child's future. In one way or another, all parents of young children have been forced to gamble during the pandemic. Many parents of kids with speech delays don't like their odds.

The article notes the usual problems with "teletherapy" -- kids are already bored by instruction, and they just disengage completely when the person they're "talking" to is on a screen.

And in person: Always with the masks. Masks that prevented kids from seeing their therapists' mouths. Which they needed to see, to see how to shape their own mouths to form sounds.

I mean, DUH!

And when in-person therapy resumed, masking requirements made it difficult. Some of the dozen-plus speech and language therapists I spoke with said children found the masks distracting. More important, masks hide the mouth from view, which the therapists said is disruptive to some forms of therapy, especially those that target motor speech and motor planning--"anything having to do with actual speech that comes out of your mouth," said Alexandria Zachos, an Illinois-based pathologist. For "that type of therapy, you absolutely need to see the speech therapist's mouth and they need to see yours," Zachos said.

Where available, therapists used masks with a clear panel, with mixed results. "They are kind of uncomfortable to wear. They really heat up," Zachos said. And although she's tried a number of tricks to prevent them from fogging up, they inevitably do.

My own little speech therapy story, as an adult: I struggled with how to pronounce the French r and then the Italian trilled r. In both cases, you have to physically see how the tongue is deployed in making the respective r's to know now to make the sound. You can't intuit it. You have to see where the tongue should be placed to make the sound.

Now, it's hard to see the tongue in someone's mouth, so, mask or not, you really couldn't see into someone's mouth to get this, unless they're opening their mouth very wide just to show you this. And even then, this is really something they would probably show you by drawing a sketch or showing you a picture.

But, the point is: You need to see the visual of what the tongue, lips, and teeth are doing to know how to make a sound. It's indispensable.

Former AOS commenter Jeff B. just went through this hell with his own son. You might be tempted to dunk, but, you know, this is his kid. Have pity (just this once.)

After reading the article, he's furious.

Jeff B. is *BOX OFFICE POISON* @EsotericCD

I haven't been angrier reading an article in 2 years. I hate the people who allowed this to happen to my son, and I think I will hate them forever. It will govern my attitude towards teacher's unions and elite public health opinion forever.
    theatlantic.com

My son has had speech therapy for 2 years now. He cannot articulate a single word, even though his vocab has grown huge.

Because of CPS policies, he has been required to get speech therapy wearing a mask by a therapist wearing a mask, When what he needs to see are mouths/lips.

And because all the "independent" therapists have to cooperate with CPS policies (oftentimes legally, mostly because they have to coordinate w/them so often on overlapping care), they use the same standards, even though many hate them. People get reported for deviating.

I could go on for thirty more 280-character tweets in a row about my feelings about this. Nobody wants to hear it. So let me just say that I will never forgive, and I will never forget. It was obviously wrong the day the policy was adopted, it's barbaric cruelty now.

This is my so''s one shot in life. HE DOES NOT GET A RE-DO OF HIS CRUCIAL DEVELOPMENTAL YEARS. This is the time. And these monsters did this to him. They took some of the most important years of his life away from him. For no articulable reason.

As a father, I can never forgive.

I stole the "Re-do" point from him.

Just to emphasize how obvious it is that you need to SEE the lips, tongue, and teeth to know how to make sounds: Learning language, as an adult, being taught by adults, they are constantly showing off their mouths when they are making sounds they think might be out of the students' customary range of phonemes.

If mere language teachers know the basics of speech therapy, how can actual speech therapists not know the basics of speech therapy?!

Of course they know.

A teacher says "Of course we know, but our union makes us do these evils."

MojaveRattler @MojaveMamma
    Replying to @EsotericCD

Trying to work with a speech impaired student yesterday. Had to pull my mask down to show him how to make the "th" sound. Happens all the time in my [Special Ed] class. Yet "my" union would love masks forever.
    Now let's see some progressives respond compassionately:

SuperBookNerd
    @maslowski_j

This does not make sense to me at all. An IEP allows for mask removal as a special need under ADA. Do not blame the government if you didn't properly maintain your CPSE documents.

I think this might be a teacher, owing his job entirely to the union, because she completely failed reading comprehension. The main problem isn't that Jeff's son was wearing a mask -- it's that his speech therapist was wearing a mask, and that Jeff's son couldn't see his speech therapist's mouth.

Yes, maybe there's some ADA law that lets Jeff's son take his mask down if he has a medical need, but is there a law that allows him to take down his Therapist's mask?

No, because that wouldn't be a medical need, it would "merely" be an educational/developmental need.

They really do all fancy themselves brilliant, though.

I was right
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,142
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

I know Joe just ended Covid but I am going to keep this pinned for a bit because quarterly results are coming soon for Pfizer so Joe and the Dems may have to find a new variant.

I’d prefer you leave it until the military tribunals for nuremberg 2 electric boogaloo conclude
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,910
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

I’d prefer you leave it until the military tribunals for nuremberg 2 electric boogaloo conclude
    This.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,632
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited March 2022

Swaye said:

Is that when the walls finally close in for trump

Feels like he's been in the trash compactor from a new hope just waiting on the maintenance crew to get it back up and running
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,142
    Founders Club
    edited March 2022

Swaye said:

Is that when the walls finally close in for trump

Feels like he's been in the trash compactor from a new hope just waiting on the maintenance crew to get it back up and running
    JFK Jr announced as president and Stalin Jr is VP of USA Corp

God I miss OBK, however all this shit is getting too mainstream for him

• Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,910
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,129
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    The CDC as of February 25 said kids don't need to wear masks in school. How come I know that but Pippi Longstocking, the White House communications director doesn't know this? These people are proudly ignorant and stupid and playing for the chicoms.