Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

If I like my nuclear family, may I keep it?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,215
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
Worthwhile TL;DR David Brooks piece in the Atlantic on decline of the nuclear family. I must admit I am very pessimistic on this topic. I don't think its coming back, but I don't think "villages" are either. In short, we phuked.

In other words, while social conservatives have a philosophy of family life they can’t operationalize, because it no longer is relevant, progressives have no philosophy of family life at all, because they don’t want to seem judgmental. The sexual revolution has come and gone, and it’s left us with no governing norms of family life, no guiding values, no articulated ideals. On this most central issue, our shared culture often has nothing relevant to say—and so for decades things have been falling apart.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/03/the-nuclear-family-was-a-mistake/605536/

Comments

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Umm... Damone has been right on this topic for several years. It's obvious. The leftists wants to pretend it's not a problem because it forces people to take personal responsibility and not claim they are victims of oppression. There is no money in that and it weakens their power.

Moreover, it makes people replace the family unit with the state. Stateists of all stripes want people to think of the government as their benefactor first. Religion, family, etc. is all antithetical to that view.
    A few weeks ago a kid sold bracelets to raise money to pay lunch debts for classmates. It was a feel good story about how kind this kid is. The comments were a lot of "all school lunches should be free". I disagreed. That simply teaches that the state provides your basic needs and the parents have no responsibility to even feed there kids. Of course I'm the asshole because "they are kids!" and people can't afford it. Bullshit. They can afford it. It takes a bit of effort to make a lunch. It can be done for a $1.50 and 10 minutes of prep. But why should they since the state will do it and they can get a few more minutes of sleep and have money for weed?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Umm... Damone has been right on this topic for several years. It's obvious. The leftists wants to pretend it's not a problem because it forces people to take personal responsibility and not claim they are victims of oppression. There is no money in that and it weakens their power.

How would you repair the nuclear family at this point? Seems like things are so far gone for pours even if we could fix disincentives in welfare state.
  • Options
    ramenduckramenduck Member Posts: 734
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

How would you repair the nuclear family at this point? Seems like things are so far gone for pours even if we could fix disincentives in welfare state.
    #newgreenfamily
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

At a very minimum at least stop rewarding people for for having kids they can't support. Offer incentives for families to stay intact be incentives to spilt apart. Refuse to make able body people comfortable in poverty.

But you're right, we are probably to far gone and there is now a whole industry built around keeping people in victim status and woke people cheering it on.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,426
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The divorce rate is declining for the majority of those who are married. The rate continues to be high because of inflation from serial divorcees with more than 1 marriage.

That said, I don't agree with anything else in the thread.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Moreover, it makes people replace the family unit with the state. Stateists of all stripes want people to think of the government as their benefactor first. Religion, family, etc. is all antithetical to that view.
    A few weeks ago a kid sold bracelets to raise money to pay lunch debts for classmates. It was a feel good story about how kind this kid is. The comments were a lot of "all school lunches should be free". I disagreed. That simply teaches that the state provides your basic needs and the parents have no responsibility to even feed there kids. Of course I'm the asshole because "they are kids!" and people can't afford it. Bullshit. They can afford it. It takes a bit of effort to make a lunch. It can be done for a $1.50 and 10 minutes of prep. But why should they since the state will do it and they can get a few more minutes of sleep and have money for weed?
    It takes .25 or less to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which will get through the fucking school day. IDC how pours you are, you can make your kid a fucking sandwich unless you have to sleep in, in which case don't have kids.
    PB&J, an apple, a baggie of a few carrots, through on a ding dong and a Capri sun and you might crack $1.

But don't forget, to do this a parent not only has to make it, but they have to go to the store, look at prices, budget, carry the food home etc... My experience says people who do that aren't poor because they have personal habits that make them not poor or if they are it's transitional. People in chronic poverty aren't going to do it
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

It takes .25 or less to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which will get any kid through the fucking school day. IDC how pours you are, you can make your kid a fucking sandwich unless you have to sleep in, in which case don't have kids.
    6 year old little yella won't eat anything but PB n J for school lunch. I get up each morning at 645AM. #dryjanuary Mon - Thursday nights and no smoking tweeds except on speshial occasions. It's hard.
    You should get a wife or a maid or a concubine to do it.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

It takes .25 or less to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which will get any kid through the fucking school day. IDC how pours you are, you can make your kid a fucking sandwich unless you have to sleep in, in which case don't have kids.
    6 year old little yella won't eat anything but PB n J for school lunch. I get up each morning at 645AM. #dryjanuary Mon - Thursday nights and no smoking tweeds except on speshial occasions. It's hard.
    You should get a wife or a maid or a concubine to do it.
    It think Rod Stewart once said a man needs a maid.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,426
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

We pay our daycare for lunch. Doog_bot_2.0 eats according to their schedule and whatever crazy government mandated licensing requirements they have to abide by. Probably something that increases nutrition by zero percent. That said, it's efficient delegation of the task in the name of economic specialization.
  • Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,466
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Stop supporting the behavior and it will go away.

Someone posted an article on here in the last couple of weeks about a group of black women who were lecturing us all on how they don't need our "Western culture" when it comes to the nuclear family . I looked them up and saw another article that was interviewing about 10 of them on the same subject. Statistically (2015 numbers), 41.6% of black America is utilizing government welfare. That means that 4 out of the 10 assholes who were claiming they didn't need our "Western culture" nuclear family were only too happy to take our Western culture welfare paid for by our Western culture tax dollars. 50% of female only head of households were on the government tit. Half of single mother homes. Wow. That is a big number. A number too big to say that it was NOT by choice to be a single parent who couldn't afford to have children.

36% of all latino households are on welfare. Pacific Islanders at 18% and whitey at 13.3%. Married couples and single father head of households? 14.7%.

Quit rewarding it. It is the only way to stop it. Tell people up front that it is going to end. Give them a years notice and then just quit. Those on it can grandfather if is so needed but the newbies who decide to have kids and go immediately on welfare? Nope.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The family isn't dead. Its the number one way that Asian immigrants out perform even citizens in gaining wealth

We? are selfish - I'm guilty of that. That's why I didn't want kids. When I got some pre grown ones I golfed all weekend. I sucked but my son thinks I was great simply because I set a good example about hard work and consistent effort. He is a success.

Long live the family. Fuck the state

There is no ideal family nor are there family values. That is political sloganeering. Do the best you can. Don't have kids if you can't put them first.

Adopt a shelter dog instead

Except that some family structure yield better outcomes than others. Family is dead for large swaths of American society. The State has been part of the problem.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,195
    Swaye's Wigwam

The family isn't dead. Its the number one way that Asian immigrants out perform even citizens in gaining wealth

We? are selfish - I'm guilty of that. That's why I didn't want kids. When I got some pre grown ones I golfed all weekend. I sucked but my son thinks I was great simply because I set a good example about hard work and consistent effort. He is a success.

Long live the family. Fuck the state

There is no ideal family nor are there family values. That is political sloganeering. Do the best you can. Don't have kids if you can't put them first.

Adopt a shelter dog instead

Except that some family structure yield better outcomes than others. Family is dead for large swaths of American society. The State has been part of the problem.

Gosh maybe we should encourage the ones that work better? Too radical?