Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

I do have an actual "What I'm hearing..."

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,551 Founders Club
USC wants Tosh, but when it came to light that he was allegedly already recruiting for Sark, Pat Haden became very anxious because he is concerned that they might violate their probation by officially bringing him on board.

IMO Tosh is overrated anyway.

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,947 Swaye's Wigwam

He's pretty good but not great, both in recruiting and coaching. I agree he's overrated. He did have a run of kick ass DL recruiting at Cal which is hard to argue against but hasn't come close to duplicating that at UW so far. He did pretty good last year but not great.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,768 Founders Club

USC wants Tosh, but when it came to light that he was allegedly already recruiting for Sark, Pat Haden became very anxious because he is concerned that they might violate their probation by officially bringing him on board.

Haden should realize that having Sark will do about as much damage to their program as being on probation. So, he should go ahead and roll the dice with Tosh. At this point, Haden & USC have nothing to lose.
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    edited December 2013

So...what does being "very anxious" mean? Does usc want Tosh or not?
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    WTF? USC has a lot to lose dude. Like repeat offender and death penalty.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,768 Founders Club
    The NCAA isn't going to give anyone the death penalty, especially USC.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,350 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2013
    I don't understand how bringing on Tosh would violate their probation
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    because it could probably be proven that Tosh had been recruiting kids to USC while he and his chubby head coach were still at UW... not really a great look.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    I say LIPO with Tosh if he stays. He played a big part in bringing in Qualls, Mathis, and Farria. Sure none of them made any significant contribution last year, but not every true freshman DT/DE become monsters, they typically need to bulk up more than most positions.

The D-Line did improve this year and Tosh had a couple super soakers and a red rider bb gun to work with. I'm not sold but I also don't see how you can call him bad yet either.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389

You could be correct about Tosh being overrated, especially given how much he was hyped as a recruiter by Dm.c, but if he was responsible for turning Shaq by leaving CAL for UW, then his recruiting rep may be real. I'm more concerned about the performance of the DL in actual games. They seemed in 2013 to be gradually improving and with Kikaha and Hudson getting pressure in the apple cup on the opposing QB, the DL was beginning to look almost Huskyish.

When it comes to deciding which if any assistant coaches to carryover from the Sark regime, Petersen has a ton of product in the way of game film to peruse. He has to be impressed with the Husky defense overall and if Wilcox is kept on as I hope he is, Tosh's retention may be the DC's call.

• no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 762
    edited December 2013
    Seriously who really cares about Tosh anymore? If he is such a great recruiter, why don't his results, or lack thereof, speak for themselves?

If he was recruiting for USC, he should be shit-canned and told to GTFO. Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing him get sued or at least reported to the NCAA so that USC is embargoed from recruiting said recruits. "Sorry son, you won't be hearing from USC anymore. Their head coach conspired with fellow dumbass Tosh Lupoi, while employed by UW, to steer recruits to USC."
    no_uh said:

Seriously who really cares about Tosh anymore? If he is such a great recruiter, why don't his results, or lack thereof, speak for themselves?

If he was recruiting for USC, he should be shit-canned and told to GTFO. Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing him get sued or at least reported to the NCAA so that USC is embargoed from recruiting said recruits. "Sorry son, you won't be hearing from USC anymore. Their head coach conspired with fellow dumbass Tosh Lupoi, while employed by UW, to steer recruits to USC."

He has had ONE recruiting class. When we brought him over all he did was bring Shaq. So our true freshman didn't go out and absolutely murder like Myles Jack did, big whoop.

He could end up being overrated, but to judge him based off 1 recruiting class is ridiculous imo.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    If Tosh is overrated, then what is the expectation for the next DL coach/recruiter? That he should pull 5 guys per year out of Cali that have USC & UCLA offers? Tosh would kill it under Petersen.

If Tosh is overrated, then what is the expectation for the next DL coach/recruiter? That he should pull 5 guys per year out of Cali that have USC & UCLA offers? Tosh would kill it under Petersen.

If he is or isn't overrated is yet to be determined. If Mathis, Qualls, and Farria all come in and underachieve another year or two (assuming Tosh stays) then I think it is a good assumption. However, calling him overrated because he didn't turn a back up TE, Corey "Look for any possible way to avoid playing football Littleton, and a bunch of true freshman into all conference is just as bad as doogs going WDWHA.
  • Sure are a ton of Doogs in here when it comes to Tosh.

He's all right. Not bad but not great either.

Sure are a ton of Doogs in here when it comes to Tosh.

He's all right. Not bad but not great either.

Cals defensive lines were always good when Tosh was down there. First year he comes up he has to take Sarks buttercups and try to turn them into something even remotely productive. I mean a back up TE had to be put on the line ffs because Sarks line recruiting was almost non existent.

Tosh stays or LEAVES!! it won't really bother me either. Sure I think I am leaning towards the hope he stays and LIPO for a year or two with Petersen, but if Pete wants one of his own coaches in there that is also fine by me.

Either way it will be interesting.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309

The NCAA isn't going to give anyone the death penalty, especially USC.

If the NCAA won't give a program the death penalty for covering up child rape, this one would be a pretty hard sell.
  • no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 762
    He may not be overrated, but he's clearly not underrated given how much he's being paid. Still, this is in light of the current year's prospects/commits, and yes, lack of effort/not trying because you think you are going to USC is part of the formula.
  • DeepPurpleDeepPurple Member Posts: 201
    I'd like to see Pete get Randy Hart back. He is developing studs at Stanford.